ADVERTISEMENT

CBS' Dennis Dodd pumping the Cards for the Playoff.

How ironic that the system Slive pushed to allow two SEC teams into the playoffs may in fact allow the ACC to do it first.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
A point is made in that article which is lost on some folks...

No P5 conference champion is guaranteed a playoff spot, even an undefeated one. If Washington goes undefeated in what could be a very weak Pac-12 by season's end, or if Clemson wins the ACC and sustains a loss, Louisville can leapfrog either/both teams.

The only teams Louisville is not surpassing by season's end are undefeated teams from the Big Ten, the SEC, or Clemson from the ACC. Unlikely those three conferences all produce undefeated teams, and that's only three teams anyway. Although unlikely, I think the Cards could even best an undefeated Miami from the ACC depending on how the Canes look in their victories.

Speaking of "look", it's never been more important than it is now how we look in our remaining games. There won't be enough points to score unless it's obvious piling-on. You wanna stay in the sports highlights with the Heisman favorite blowing up and down the field every week. ESPN will give us plenty of airtime hoping for some late-season polling drama.

And anyone saying that the selection process won't play out where conference champs and/or undefeated teams are excluded is basing that opinion on two years of CFP experience. How many of these situations have the selection powers-that-be wrestled with in the last two years? I don't know myself, but I doubt it's many.

A long way to go yet...

No P5 conference champion is guaranteed a playoff spot, even an undefeated one. If Washington goes undefeated in what could be a very weak Pac-12 by season's end, or if Clemson wins the ACC and sustains a loss, Louisville can leapfrog either/both teams.

The only teams Louisville is not surpassing by season's end are undefeated teams from the Big Ten, the SEC, or Clemson from the ACC. Unlikely those three conferences all produce undefeated teams, and that's only three teams anyway. Although unlikely, I think the Cards could even best an undefeated Miami from the ACC depending on how the Canes look in their victories.

Speaking of "look", it's never been more important than it is now how we look in our remaining games. There won't be enough points to score unless it's obvious piling-on. You wanna stay in the sports highlights with the Heisman favorite blowing up and down the field every week. ESPN will give us plenty of airtime hoping for some late-season polling drama.

And anyone saying that the selection process won't play out where conference champs and/or undefeated teams are excluded is basing that opinion on two years of CFP experience. How many of these situations have the selection powers-that-be wrestled with in the last two years? I don't know myself, but I doubt it's many.

A long way to go yet...
That is definitely true about the PAC-12 being a little down and the way the playoff selections are made now but Washington being undefeated with a curb stomping of #7 Stanford and a road win against a Top 20 Utah team would likely get them in.

I'm not saying our resume wouldn't be even better than Washington's if we win out, especially if Clemson keeps winning impressively but I'd hate to have to sweat that out. Go Utes and Go Ducks, Bears and Cougars too.

Reactions: Mayoman
the CFP is all about ratings, I am curious to know what the neilson was for the clemson game. I bet the networks loved making money off of Jackson. That is the reason we will be alive as long as we win. It is about $$$$

Reactions: GoldCard
Honestly, and I do not mean this as criticism, but it is way too early to think about or worry about the playoffs. Maybe it is fun. But a whole lot of stuff is going to happen over the next four weeks that you have not even imagined happening. By November 1st when the first ranking comes out, the entire landscape is likely to have shifted. Maybe in your favor; maybe against. Who knows?

Some may argue that even November 1st is too early to worry about it. And certainly a loss or two now makes it seem out of reach. But over the last two years I have seen Alabama come back from the dead twice and Ohio State and Oklahoma do so once. In 2011 Alabama needed a miracle (or three) in the last couple of weeks and got them. Lotta football ahead. No one can predict the outcome today. So no reason to worry about it.

Honestly, and I do not mean this as criticism, but it is way too early to think about or worry about the playoffs. Maybe it is fun. But a whole lot of stuff is going to happen over the next four weeks that you have not even imagined happening. By November 1st when the first ranking comes out, the entire landscape is likely to have shifted. Maybe in your favor; maybe against. Who knows?

Some may argue that even November 1st is too early to worry about it. And certainly a loss or two now makes it seem out of reach. But over the last two years I have seen Alabama come back from the dead twice and Ohio State and Oklahoma do so once. In 2011 Alabama needed a miracle (or three) in the last couple of weeks and got them. Lotta football ahead. No one can predict the outcome today. So no reason to worry about it.
Called fun, yes.

the CFP is all about ratings, I am curious to know what the neilson was for the clemson game. I bet the networks loved making money off of Jackson. That is the reason we will be alive as long as we win. It is about $$$$
It was the best Saturday night game since 2014, and 25% better than Clemson-Notre Dame the same week last year. Not too shabby.

Reactions: beasleythecard
It'

A long way to go yet...

It's all about ratings and getting the most money. Every media outlet that I have either listened to or read has been lobbying for Louisville. It's obvious they want us in the playoffs. But I can't see us leapfrogging an undefeated Washington.

this type of prognosticating is fun, but there will be schools that come into the fold with late season heroics and others that fall away due to collapses...it happens every year...that said, how crazy is it that UofL is now being talked about as a serious final four team...WITH A LOSS.

Personally, I'm worried about Duke...how will we respond with a heartbreaking loss and 2 weeks to dwell on it? How good is Duke? (conversely how bad is ND)?

this type of prognosticating is fun, but there will be schools that come into the fold with late season heroics and others that fall away due to collapses...it happens every year...that said, how crazy is it that UofL is now being talked about as a serious final four team...WITH A LOSS.

Personally, I'm worried about Duke...how will we respond with a heartbreaking loss and 2 weeks to dwell on it? How good is Duke? (conversely how bad is ND)?
The one thing we have going for us is that we play Houston second to last game of the season. If Houston remains undefeated that should pushes us right back as the hyped team. Couldn't be better timing. But we have to win and smash Houston in the process. And everyone before them.

Reactions: Mayoman

A long way to go yet...
I still think we may drop another one, and not necessarily to Houston. As regards the "look" of wins, this is why the 4 team playoff is a joke. It's still all opinions. I also think it's hard to argue for the Cards in the playoffs when we don't even win our division, let alone our conference.

I still think we may drop another one, and not necessarily to Houston. As regards the "look" of wins, this is why the 4 team playoff is a joke. It's still all opinions. I also think it's hard to argue for the Cards in the playoffs when we don't even win our division, let alone our conference.

Maybe. Maybe not. But even with it being "not", I think short of Clemson losing two conference games, UL needs a WHOLE lot to go their way to make the playoffs.

First, until it actually happens, I can't envision a division runner up being taken over a conference winner with only one loss. It is not impossible, but if you have a winner of a "power five" conference with one loss and you snub them for someone who did not win their division, that is going to be a bit hard to justify.

Second, you could have some two-loss conference champions. But, in addition to UL, you could have a couple of one loss teams who did not win their division - namely Michigan/Ohio State and/or Texas A&M. If that happens, A&M and the Michigan/OSU loser are going to have much better resumes.

I think chaos is UL's best friend.

Maybe. Maybe not. But even with it being "not", I think short of Clemson losing two conference games, UL needs a WHOLE lot to go their way to make the playoffs.

First, until it actually happens, I can't envision a division runner up being taken over a conference winner with only one loss. It is not impossible, but if you have a winner of a "power five" conference with one loss and you snub them for someone who did not win their division, that is going to be a bit hard to justify.

Second, you could have some two-loss conference champions. But, in addition to UL, you could have a couple of one loss teams who did not win their division - namely Michigan/Ohio State and/or Texas A&M. If that happens, A&M and the Michigan/OSU loser are going to have much better resumes.

I think chaos is UL's best friend.
Wow, your status as resident Bag is amazingly continuing. Your jibberish is well noted as jibberish.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT