ADVERTISEMENT

Cards just outmanned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t believe it. Outworked, yes. Still believe we can fight to the last snap.

No disrespect to your post. You can always compensate by outworking your foe. It worked in the late 80’s and it can work now. See Minnesota.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
That is the worst this football team has looked this year. It's as if the bye week cost them their knowledge on how to play the game. Bad penalties, blown defensive assignments, poor tackling.

This was a surprise. I thought we would compete and that just didn't happen today. Disappointing game.

Lets face it. The Cards laid a big fat egg today. That extra week off killed their momentum, and they played soft. Miami has the better team, but they're not 31 points better.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Just made too many mistakes against a good team on the road to have a chance in this one. Dropped pass in tight coverage on the first series. Muffed punt after a big 3 and out by the defense. Blocked punt. Interception in the end zone and another deep in Miami territory. Back to back personal foul penalties that gave the U a first and goal.

And many other penalties that cost us a lot of field position.

Miami was the better team they have more talent than us right now. I like the young players we have right now our future looks good. I have to disagree with the refereeing that were absolutely pitiful. It was way to lopsided a lot of missed calls that were in full view.

Their 4 losses were to teams that had more talent. Those team expose the defense. They just don’t have the talent to stop teams with better athletes. They have to completely sell out to stop the run and can’t generate enough pass rush to stop a decent passing game.

The offense wasn’t great but you can’t expect them to keep pace against good defenses. I agree you can’t make that many mistakes either.

Not a good effort off a buy week.

We went 0-4 against the 4 teams that have way more talent than us. The surprise has been how we've competed with the rest. I think we'll compete better against the most talented teams once we start recruiting at our previous level again.

Reactions: Mayoman

No disrespect to your post. You can always compensate by outworking your foe. It worked in the late 80’s and it can work now. See Minnesota.
I was there and the OP is right. Miami was just to athletic, big and fast for our guys to handle.

Someone needs to ring up Vegas. We were 5-6 points worth of "outmanned".

Which leaves about 80% of the final 25-point margin more difficult to explain...

Which leaves about 80% of the final 25-point margin more difficult to explain...
There is a talent gap but not 25 point gap. It wasn’t a good effort. That was the first game where there were signs of last year. Sloppy play, terrible defense, and penalties.

This is the first time the staff mainly defensively failed to have solid plan. They blitzed leaving corners exposed against better athletes. Both Miami and FSU their athletes were better than our back end. When they played coverage the QB ran at will.

This defense played hard and physical but man they need some help in the front 7.

The physical limitations were exacerbated by mental errors. We couldn’t get pressure up front so UofL brought up safeties and blitzed linebackers and then our not fast enough corner gets beat and forgets that he had no safety help over the top. The Miami o line was able to get to the second level on blocks and our backers weren’t able to get off the blocks and oftentimes we were getting held but no calls were made. Our standout punter shanks one punt and has another partially blocked. Our talented punt returner tries to make something happen and muffs a punt return. Add it all up, plus some major injuries, and we got our butts beat.

We got our butts beat which will happen when there is talent difference along with playing poorly. Vegas which is basically the public opinion base on prior performances it can’t project poor performances. The public could figure out Louisville last year either.

Asked in other thread will put it here also. No clue what the recruiting for Miami has looked like the last 4 years. Does anybody have time to crunch #'s compared to the Cards recruiting?

Of course, for both programs, it's possible highly rated players are no longer playing for either. So maybe those recruiting #'s won't tell us anything.

Maybe we should have Jurich bring Bobby back again.
I never attributed the difference yesterday to coaching. But since you bring it up, we'll let the new guys in charge explain a penalty on every 2nd or 3rd play from scrimmage...

I never attributed the difference yesterday to coaching. But since you bring it up, we'll let the new guys in charge explain a penalty on every 2nd or 3rd play from scrimmage...

Bad habits brought from the previous regime
Most of the players were signed and coached by the previous jack ass thief patrino.

Reactions: Slam2121
Penalties - An interesting topic. No dog in the fight. Fans get annoyed by them, penalties obviously are not a good thing.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/penalties-per-game

Cards check in @ #115 out of 130 for most penalties per game. Interestingly Miami is #112.

What else I find interesting is Baylor is #116. Alabama is #109. Memphis is #124.

When I look @ the least penalized teams, I do see Minny @ #5. I see WF @ #2, another good team. But I also see Arkansas @ #8, and they just canned their coach!

Maybe it's the "type" of penalties that matter more, and also the timing of them.

Rice is the least penalized team in the country. They are #1. They are also 0-8.

So are impact of penalties just blown out of proportion?

Asked in other thread will put it here also. No clue what the recruiting for Miami has looked like the last 4 years. Does anybody have time to crunch #'s compared to the Cards recruiting?

Of course, for both programs, it's possible highly rated players are no longer playing for either. So maybe those recruiting #'s won't tell us anything.

Someone on the "other board" said that we had comparable talent to Miami so I pulled these numbers for the past 5 years. The star rankings are probably a little different on this board, but it still shows the talent difference.

4+ stars, 2015-2019
Miami - 45
Louisville - 12

It was just a perfect storm of errors, bad luck, injuries and one very big missed roughing the passer call. Looking for a silver lining I have to say if there is one game of the last fall I’d want to lose it was this one. I think this loss will help re-focus them and the coaches will use this a a teaching tool.
And, sometimes teams just throw in a stinker from time to time, like Clemson vs. UNC. I do think this game is an outlier and expect the same effort and execution we’ve seen up to the Miami game.
Go Cards!!!!!

Almost midnight.
Come on out.........

Last year, a lotta penaltes. John L. Smith's teams?

The characterization is lack of discipline, structure, oversight, intangibles.

Definitely NOT culture.

And when you have overwhelming talent, it ain't quite as important...

To be honest Miami is just bigger, faster and stronger than us. That’s the cause of many of our penalties. And our DBs cannot keep up with these guys in man to man. Bottom line is that we are seeing the deficiencies that only recruiting can heal.
Doesn’t explain the dumb false starts.

Reactions: zipp
Last year, a lotta penaltes. John L. Smith's teams?

The characterization is lack of discipline, structure, oversight, intangibles.

Definitely NOT culture.

And when you have overwhelming talent, it ain't quite as important...
Talent or not, effort and execution is always important. Indeed, probably more important than raw physical talent. We didn’t have it. But Rome wasn’t built in a day, and UofL won’t be built in a season. There will be days like this, but hopefully by year 3 there will be noticeable improvement and we will be back on course for 9-10 win seasons on a regular basis. Miami outworked us. Period.

There is a talent gap but not 25 point gap. It wasn’t a good effort. That was the first game where there were signs of last year. Sloppy play, terrible defense, and penalties.

This is the first time the staff mainly defensively failed to have solid plan. They blitzed leaving corners exposed against better athletes. Both Miami and FSU their athletes were better than our back end. When they played coverage the QB ran at will.

This defense played hard and physical but man they need some help in the front 7.
I beg to differ that was the first time we looked awful, well at least on the defensive side. Wake Forest, who has now been exposed as an average team went up and down the field on our defense and the bad tackling looked very reminiscent of last year’s team. We love to have very short memories.

Reactions: zipp
If an offensive lineman is getting beat by a d lineman it is not uncommon for false starts to occur because the o lineman is trying to compensate by beating the d lineman to the spot
So in your theory, there should be a false start on every play?

Offensive lineman know the snap count, DL don’t, they only anticipate it.

So in your theory, there should be a false start on every play?

Huh? Not sure I offered a theory and no I don’t think that there should be a false start on each play. It’s pretty common for a lineman that is getting “owned” to be quick on the trigger.

Huh? Not sure I offered a theory and no I don’t think that there should be a false start on each play. It’s pretty common for a lineman that is getting “owned” to be quick on the trigger.

It's kind of like in basketball. Sometimes good defenders can't guard the top players without fouling them.

Or, average defenders can't guard good players without fouling them. Or, lousy defenders can't guard average players without fouling them.

Wherever you want to set the discrepancy.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
Rivals recruiting rankings:

2015: UM 26, UofL 32
2016: UM 23, UofL 36
2017: UM 11, UofL 29
2018: UM 6, UofL 31
2019: UM 36, UofL 77
That's a difference of about 0.4 stars over all five years. Which also doesn't take into account redshirting and development once the kids hit campus.

A meaningful difference, but not 25 points worth IMO which is how the oddsmakers saw the game...

Not when the other team has the level of talent Miami has. If your statement was true Clemson, Bama, and LSU would be getting beat every week, because most teams bring their A game against them. Could we have played cleaner, made fewer mistakes yep. But the outcome wouldn’t have changed much. Miami was picked early to be one of the top teams in the ACC and they’ve started to play like it over the last few weeks.

No disrespect to your statement but just isn’t true

Well, yes you did. You offered an excuse as to why we had so many false starts against Miami AND all of last year, except last year was because of “coaching”

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT