ADVERTISEMENT

Cards 109 Kenpom

Preseason rankings are difficult and obviously nobody can see a future. With the portal explosion it makes things even more difficult to evaluate.

My guess is Kenpom didn't deviate too far from other preseason polls that were submitted last year.

With that said, here's a small sample of preseason polling from last year

AP Poll -

UNC #1 - did not make NCAAT, these guys were a consensus #1 probably everywhere.

UCONN - Unranked, Won the title
Miami - Unranked F4
FAU - Unranked F4
SDSU - #19 - F4

With that said, I'm sure the polling did accurately identify some other teams, sure. But they also probably had a handful of teams miss the NCAAT that were in their T25s in addition to UNC.

The ACC is down from a reputation standpoint with UofL and Syracuse slumming now but were previously cornerstone programs for decades. The league got shamed by pundits the last couple years but still held their own in the NCAATs. My guess is something like that could happen again.

Then again maybe not. It seems unlikely our Cards are going to be doing much, or anything in March.

Preseason rankings are difficult and obviously nobody can see a future. With the portal explosion it makes things even more difficult to evaluate.

My guess is Kenpom didn't deviate too far from other preseason polls that were submitted last year.

With that said, here's a small sample of preseason polling from last year

AP Poll -

UNC #1 - did not make NCAAT, these guys were a consensus #1 probably everywhere.

UCONN - Unranked, Won the title
Miami - Unranked F4
FAU - Unranked F4
SDSU - #19 - F4

With that said, I'm sure the polling did accurately identify some other teams, sure. But they also probably had a handful of teams miss the NCAAT that were in their T25s in addition to UNC.

The ACC is down from a reputation standpoint with UofL and Syracuse slumming now but were previously cornerstone programs for decades. The league got shamed by pundits the last couple years but still held their own in the NCAATs. My guess is something like that could happen again.

Then again maybe not. It seems unlikely our Cards are going to be doing much, or anything in March.

Great information. The facts overpower opinions which makes sports fun to follow. The best team does not win all the time.

Go CARDS. Get above 64 and make the Tourney.

Great information. The facts overpower opinions which makes sports fun to follow. The best team does not win all the time.

Go CARDS. Get above 64 and make the Tourney.
I like Kenpom, and I do admire how it gets put together. But even after the season last year, Kenpom had Miami #24 despite what happened in March. Kenpom had Houston #2 and TX #5. Miami beat both those teams fairly convincingly in the S16 and E8 games.

TX Tech was another team in every Preseason T25 last year. They were coming off a strong season and established a brand with Mark Adams. I would say they deserved it. They went 16-16.

So who knows?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT