ADVERTISEMENT

Can we really win the baseball national title?

LockdownCard

1500+
Nov 11, 2014
Man that would really soften the blow of this whole scandal. Plus coach is due for a title because he's been Knocking on the door since 07. And last but not least a baseball title would show the overall superiority of our athletics compared to the state college up the road.

Man that would really soften the blow of this whole scandal. Plus coach is due for a title because he's been Knocking on the door since 07. And last but not least a baseball title would show the overall superiority of our athletics compared to the state college up the road.

I don't see why not. Baseball is a fickle sport though, one dominant day by an opposing starter or an off day by your ace can end a season. You guys are right there in the conversation. Pretty damn impressive IMO.

I'm optimistic about this team, but no way do I think we are destined for great things. Yet. So much of our performance is based on who and where we play. As evidence...

This week we went 3-0 at home and against teams that are ranked #36, #44, and #214 in the RPI.

Last week we went 1-2 against teams ranked #6, #20, and #26--losing to the first two teams in what was the neutral/road environment of the ACC tourney.

This coming weekend, we are playing a best 2-of-3 series against the RPI #23 team nationally, which makes Santa Barbara between Viginia and Wake Forest in quality. The best news is that we're again playing at home...

I'm not much of a fan of over confidence. Hell I didn't even like the "clapping" when Burdi had one out in the 9th on Sunday. Yes we are good but we've had obvious problems versus higher ranked teams. Yes, we did beat a good and highly ranked Vandy team at their place but we stunk up the place at the ACC tourney. At Miami we played well enough to win but then we also allowed a walk-off home run in the ninth of the 1st game. And at FSU we were just awful until the 3rd game of the series. Our real advantage is that we are at home where we've been good, real good. Too bad we can't move Jim Patterson Stadium to Omaha.:rolleyes: In reality, we will have as good a chance as anyone else as I do believe that we are as good as any one else including Florida. We, as everyone else, need some breaks. That's a huge stadium out there.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: zipp
I feel good about this weekend. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed about Omaha.

We need to do a bit more than we've done this year away from Patterson to advance against teams of the quality we will see in the CWS. I have no basis to expect that, but I am hopeful...

Reactions: Deeva and Mayoman
Yes we can win it. Time will tell if we do. Baseball outcomes are the most difficult to predict IMO, especially with everyone using aluminum bats. Great pitching is the key, and the Cards have that. We'll see.

Reactions: JohnKBA
I kinda think we had it on cruise control going into ACC Tourney.A little too much I think.Getting bounced around a little down there appears to have jolted the team,although I think you guys are right about Patterson vs away.I thought the guys came out a little flat yesterday.They have to play with that chip I think,but like Zipp,I'm optimistic about this group.

With our pitching depth, we have as good a chance as anyone. In the past we have shot ourselves in the foot with bad base running and sloppy defense when the stakes were raised. Seems like this team has little better mental makeup.

We have 4 very good starting pitchers. We have Burdi who is a great closer. We have great hitters throughout the lineup. We have one the top pitching coaches and a great head coach. When Slovak went down Devin Mann batted close to .400 when he was in. We have Fitch as a very dangerous pinch hitter. Logan Taylor is a great center fielder. I think Tiberi
Is probably going to be drafted as a red shirt soph. We have won 50 games this year!
Can we win it all? L yes!!

Reactions: Deeva and Cue Card
Yes we can win it. Time will tell if we do. Baseball outcomes are the most difficult to predict IMO, especially with everyone using aluminum bats. Great pitching is the key, and the Cards have that. We'll see.
Technically not aluminum but composite bats designed to react more like wood than the old trampoline metal that was used a decade ago. To me the keys for Louisville going far are playing clean on defense, running the bases intelligently and, middle relief. As good as our starters are, you would imagine that they will not all go deep into games, and IMO - relying on Burdi for two inning saves is courting disaster. He needs to be a ninth inning guy and that's it.

We certainly have the pitching, hitting, and fielding (i.e. team talent), along with coaching to win it all. But...it is a tall task for any team to put/keep it all together over the course of a tournament to be the last team standing. We have as good a chance at that as anybody out there.

I echo what Steelers said. We certainly have the pitching, hitting and defense and have to be considered a favorite. I am hoping that teams did not watch our series with Ole Miss which was early in the season. I think they threw 3 lefties at us to neutralize Ray, McKay, Tiberi. Rosey, Taylor and Hairston weren't hitting like they are now. Definitely feel confident against UCSB but anything can happen in baseball it seems.

Of course. Best athletic dept in the country. We can compete in every sport. Keep knocking on that door and eventually it will fall down.

Reactions: Deeva
I'm optimistic about this team, but no way do I think we are destined for great things. Yet. So much of our performance is based on who and where we play. As evidence...

This week we went 3-0 at home and against teams that are ranked #36, #44, and #214 in the RPI.

Last week we went 1-2 against teams ranked #6, #20, and #26--losing to the first two teams in what was the neutral/road environment of the ACC tourney.

This coming weekend, we are playing a best 2-of-3 series against the RPI #23 team nationally, which makes Santa Barbara between Viginia and Wake Forest in quality. The best news is that we're again playing at home...
I agree with Zip. We certainly can win it, but that 50-12 record reflects (I believe) 38 and 1 at home; 12 and 11 on the road. I can't see us losing in the Super this year, but winning at Omaha...much tougher.

Reactions: Deeva
Technically not aluminum but composite bats designed to react more like wood than the old trampoline metal that was used a decade ago.
I think the original change from the old aluminum bats went a bit too far in changing the makeup of the bats.Wasn't this part of a big change in Coach Mac's recruiting several years ago,because the change in the bats had taken out all the pop in the bats?

People smarter than me saw the scoring go way down,along with homers.I think the revision in the bats a few years ago has moved the college game back closer to what it was when guys like Dominguez were playing.

Also bear in mind that just 4 of the 10 ACC teams invited to the NCAA tourney advanced past the first weekend. And just 3 of the 6 hosting regionals. Although I used RPI rankings above, you can pretty much forget about rankings at this point. Of course, 75% of the teams are now out of the tourney leaving just the Sweet 16.

But at this point, we shouldn't necessarily take much confidence in how good our schedule was. I really like our guys, but I'm not at all confident about the CWS--if we get that far--and playing high quality teams away from Patterson...

Also bear in mind that just 4 of the 10 ACC teams invited to the NCAA tourney advanced past the first weekend. And just 3 of the 6 hosting regionals. Although I used RPI rankings above, you can pretty much forget about rankings at this point. Of course, 75% of the teams are now out of the tourney leaving just the Sweet 16.

But at this point, we shouldn't necessarily take much confidence in how good our schedule was. I really like our guys, but I'm not at all confident about the CWS--if we get that far--and playing high quality teams away from Patterson...
Oh ye of little faith..

In the past we spit the bit badly in Omaha. This is an actual obstacle. Our record there is abysmally bad. I'm not sure if the stage is just too big or not, but Coach Mac has dealt with this very specifically following the loss to Fullerton last season. The cultural change we have to adjust to is very intimidating, with a bar set as high as it gets. In the CWS setting, all it takes is one error and sometimes only one pitch to pull the bus up and go home. And, frankly, no other result will please this team - perhaps the most talented team in the country.

For this reason, I was delighted to see us screw up the ACC Tourney. I have felt all season that we had not faced any real adversity - and last week, we finally did. All season long, we played really well but coasted at times, especially on the road. It was as if we didn't realize the size of the target we wore on our back, because everyone else besides Miami and maybe FSU - both arrogant, entitled solipsists - dam sure knew how good we were. . I am hoping that was enough of a reality check to administer the seriousness of the task ahead.

There are no productive 3-0 counts for the Nibble Rich Funk. Brendan has gotten wild high himself recently, causing a few homers, instead of pounding the inside and low zone. Harrington had a nasty reality check when a hot team finally squared up on him as he forgot that the curve is his most effective pitch. Zack got beat on badly against Wright State - our most recent game. He had been too used to 8 pitch innings. We discovered vulnerability in our best players....what's worse, in our pitching staff - the absolute key to postseason success.

How we square up now is our second step of 3 to the Title. Last week was refreshing and productive as hell. Solak also got off the schneid - a monstrously huge improvement at arguably the most necessary hitter in our lineup. If Solak gets hot and Will keeps his roll up, we may just face one fewer lefty over the next 10 or so games. Brendan and Blake Tiberi can hit anyone although better against righties, but a left handed starter keeps Colin Lyman's defense off the field. With the size of the outfield in Omaha, Lyman is a huge factor in our favor.

Lots to think on, lol.

How we square up now is our second step of 3 to the Title. Last week was refreshing and productive as hell. Solak also got off the schneid - a monstrously huge improvement at arguably the most necessary hitter in our lineup. If Solak gets hot and Will keeps his roll up, we may just face one fewer lefty over the next 10 or so games. Brendan and Blake Tiberi can hit anyone although better against righties, but a left handed starter keeps Colin Lyman's defense off the field. With the size of the outfield in Omaha, Lyman is a huge factor in our favor.

Lots to think on, lol.

Don't forget about Rosie, he was making really good contact in the Regional also, and our Defense is solid too. I think our main things will be, to not run our selves out of any innings (which we do, and have done alot) and to get off to a good start at the CWS to give us the confidence we need to get us past our previous failures. .Winning the CWS would be huge..

Boyd's World is the kenpom stat guru of college baseball. Check out his site if you haven't already. The link is his odds of advancing in the Tourney. You can see we were the second most likely team in the entire field to win the NC, but our overall percentage is still just 15%.

http://www.boydsworld.com/data/fieldprobs2016.html

Don't forget about Rosie
How can anybody forget about this guy? I was talking to somebody at the game Sunday(or was it Saturday) anyhow,he and Hairston have become vital to this team with their improvement.Rosie's the reason McKay only gets to dh when he's not pitching.He has become an outstanding 1st baseman.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT