ADVERTISEMENT

Can this Oline keep the QB healthy?

They did well enough for us to have a lot of big plays. Unfortunately many were called back due to a penalty. I think silly penalties and covering deep passes is our most urgent concern. I’m starting to wonder about this secondary coach.

Reactions: Sioux Falls Eric
This is my biggest Q this morning.

Brohm has a lot of slow developing plays that can look good if they can block.

Thoughts?
Yes your concerns are unfortunately ringing in my head also. The line was able to hold up for those slower developing plays against lesser opponents. Maybe Taylor needs to do a better job of checking down to a TE or a RB once the long play is taken away. Or maybe things will get better once Lacey comes back, and then Brohm can open up another whole part of the playbook that involves screens and more of the slant routes. You have to believe that there are tons of plays that Brohm has up his sleeve that he doesn’t feel confident in calling without Lacey being out there.

Reactions: AnotherCFD
They did well enough for us to have a lot of big plays. Unfortunately many were called back due to a penalty. I think silly penalties and covering deep passes is our most urgent concern. I’m starting to wonder about this secondary coach.
Man what was up with that officiating crew? The very first penalty they called on us literally took them three to four minutes to get it all sorted out. Was that crew from the AAC or the SWAC? Which ever conference they were from they didn’t seem well organized. And I am not even gonna bring up the missed PI they missed when the defender had two hands under our receiver’s shoulder pads and literally turned him in mid air.

Yes your concerns are unfortunately ringing in my head also. The line was able to hold up for those slower developing plays against lesser opponents. Maybe Taylor needs to do a better job of checking down to a TE or a RB once the long play is taken away. Or maybe things will get better once Lacey comes back, and then Brohm can open up another whole part of the playbook that involves screens and more of the slant routes. You have to believe that there are tons of plays that Brohm has up his sleeve that he doesn’t feel confident in calling without Lacey being out there.
I’m excited about the prospect of Lacy being on the field. Also I think Tyler has hit so many long passes that the risk is worth the reward. Glad he can throw the long ball.

Reactions: Sioux Falls Eric
Man what was up with that officiating crew? The very first penalty they called on us literally took them three to four minutes to get it all sorted out. Was that crew from the AAC or the SWAC? Which ever conference they were from they didn’t seem well organized. And I am not even gonna bring up the missed PI they missed when the defender had two hands under our receiver’s shoulder pads and literally turned him in mid air.
The time out fiasco was a complete joke. It gave a lifeless Tech life. Seems like the ACC doesn’t care much for Louisville imo.

The time out fiasco was a complete joke. It gave a lifeless Tech life. Seems like the ACC doesn’t care much for Louisville imo.
You can say that again. Right on cue Clemson dog walked NC St and FSU finally won a game yesterday. Now the powers that be in the ACC can comfortably go back to glazing Clemson and trying to ignore everyone else in the Conference not named Clemson. They will happily swap out Miami for FSU just so they can already predict and hype up their perceived Championship game.

ACC game. ACC crew.

Typical ACC refs just horrible and it’s not isolated to just us, we just get to see it close and personal.

I think our biggest issue on the O was the stupid penalties and that could have been due to the step up in competition. No doubt GT has a good D line, obviously much stronger and faster than the high school teams we played in week one and two. If you look at first games of the season that’s normally when we see the most penalties. Well my belief is that Saturday was really our first real game where we were tested. I also believe will see the most improvement between Saturday and the ND game. I know it’s normally between the first and second game, but let’s be honest how much did the staff really learn? I suspect they learned more on Saturday as far as areas that needs correcting. And I think corrections will be made and Lacy won’t resolve most of our issues he will add another dimension and depth. But the plays were there. Both of GT lines are good and did provide a challenge. A good game prior to ND.

Reactions: JTMPR
This is my biggest Q this morning.

Brohm has a lot of slow developing plays that can look good if they can block.

Thoughts?
I thought the slow developing plays were more of a result of having to play Chaney instead of Turner, who's hurt. Turner is much quicker in hitting the gaps and it seemed like Brohm wanted the blocking to be in place for Chaney. Chaney only rushed for 28 total yards, 8 more than Slough, who is not even supposed to run. Turner is out for at least 3-4 weeks so we need to figure it out before ND. What I don't know is whether GT has a great run stopping defense.

I thought the slow developing plays were more of a result of having to play Chaney instead of Turner, who's hurt. Turner is much quicker in hitting the gaps and it seemed like Brohm wanted the blocking to be in place for Chaney. Chaney only rushed for 28 total yards, 8 more than Slough, who is not even supposed to run. Turner is out for at least 3-4 weeks so we need to figure it out before ND. What I don't know is whether GT has a great run stopping defense.
Issac Brown is the fastest of them all and was available. GT was going to make Shough beat them not the run game. They consistently stacked the box.

Make some adjustments, hold some people accountable, and adjust play calls to do what you have to do. Big penalties changed the complexion of the game. Several huge plays called back. It wasn't like we were just moving right along though, and a few blips just stopped the rolling momentum. GT was getting their licks in and making the offense very choppy.

We're past the games now of expected just doing what we want and playing 100 players in a game and expecting the game to be certainly over well before the 4th quarter starts.

What we got is what we got now, time to get it done, or find work arounds for weaknesses and win. The lines are the backbone. Teams with top flight lines play in big end of season games. The trenches separate teams.

That was a team win. Got it done. Things to work on. There's no secret. The film room shows the good, the bad, and the ugly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT