ADVERTISEMENT

Can the Seminoles buy their way out of the ACC?

12375CAT

2000+
Feb 15, 2012
defending%20big%2012%20champs_zpsrnmqmswn.png

Florida State will leave the ACC, but where will they go? The SEC doesn`t need them, they have the Florida market. The only market the SEC needs is North Carolina and the DMV area. If Florida State does leave, I`m sure they`ll have a destination in place prior to leaving.

The ACC as a whole just get better and things will work themselves out. FSU arrogance is going to bite them. The best spot for them is the ACC. It gives them the best chance to win. They win recruiting will follow. A regular spot in the playoff will follow. Money will come. That isn’t happening in the SEC and it probably won’t happen in Big Ten because winning becomes much more difficult

The ACC as a whole just get better and things will work themselves out. FSU arrogance is going to bite them. The best spot for them is the ACC. It gives them the best chance to win. They win recruiting will follow. A regular spot in the playoff will follow. Money will come. That isn’t happening in the SEC and it probably won’t happen in Big Ten because winning becomes much more difficult
Money has nothing to do with winning, like it used too. They are projecting the SEC will make $1.3 billion in 2024 and the Big Ten a little more. The next conference is the Big 12 at $600 million. TV deals are driving this, The Big Ten`s deal is with Fox, CBS and NBC. The SEC is with ESPN/ABC. As it stands now the SEC and Big Ten schools will be splitting twice as much money as the next conference, a team can go 0-11 and still get an equal share.

Reactions: CardsFirst
there's about a $30 million difference i believe. a buyout costs the amount of years left on the contract x annual payout.
"How much money would it cost a school to leave? It’s their annual revenue distribution from the league multiplied by the number of years remaining on the grant of rights contract. In simple terms, if a school gets $40 million a year from the ACC and 10 years remain in the contract, that’s $400 million."
"Meanwhile, Clemson is making about $35 million per season now in the ACC. Accoriding figures from a data analysis firm called Navigate in March, ACC members can expect to pull around $60 million by 2029."

so in money terms, FSU would hire a hedge fund to put of the $400,000,000 lets say. they need to get a return on their invest so it's a balance of how much interest are the getting, how long is the term, hwo much do they think they are going to make off ad partnerships with FSU, how much of the yearly payout does FSU give up and will they actually get less per year, and if the difference is onlly $30,000,000, that's going to be almsot 30 years to recoup investment for the hedge fun, but if some bean counter decides that they can get a constant 10% return for 30+ years they'll take it.

funny thing is FSU is really not great in any sport and don;t bring anything to the table, imho

Last edited:
there's about a $30 million difference i believe. a buyout costs the amount of years left on the contract x annual payout.
"How much money would it cost a school to leave? It’s their annual revenue distribution from the league multiplied by the number of years remaining on the grant of rights contract. In simple terms, if a school gets $40 million a year from the ACC and 10 years remain in the contract, that’s $400 million."
"Meanwhile, Clemson is making about $35 million per season now in the ACC. Accoriding figures from a data analysis firm called Navigate in March, ACC members can expect to pull around $60 million by 2029."

so in money terms, FSU would hire a hedge fund to put of the $400,000,000 lets say. they need to get a return on their invest so it's a balance of how much interest are the getting, how long is the term, hwo much do they think they are going to make off ad partnerships with FSU, how much of the yearly payout does FSU give up and will they actually get less per year, and if the difference is onlly $30,000,000, that's going to be almsot 30 years to recoup investment for the hedge fun, but if some bean counter decides that they can get a constant 10% return for 30+ years they'll take it.

funny thing is FSU is really not great in any sport and don;t bring anything to the table, imho
FSU remains a massive brand.

• Haha
Reactions: Lamar Card
Not as the eighth place team in the $EC. They have no chance to win that league. They haven’t won the ACC in years, why do they think they’ll like being 6-6 in the SEC?
Conference realignment has been about introducing new TV markets into the conferences. Florida State is in the panhandle and the SEC doesn`t need that. They have Florida for the TV market in that state and we have Georgia. Same with Clemson, we have the South Carolina TV market. What they need is the NC and DMV markets. Thats NC, NC State, Virginia and Tech. If the SEC expands further, that`s the schools they`ll probably target. Since this is a football move, Duke maybe left out.
I agree, Florida State wouldn`t be as successful in the SEC, at least not year to year. The SEC will have the typical powers and adding Texas and Oklahoma. A 4 loss SEC team would still be top 25 team going forward.

Reactions: glassmanJ
As the SEC continues its expansion, and the elite get stronger; it will be interesting to see if the “middle of the road”, and the “bottom feeders” can sustain fan support.

Clemson is now, and has always been the elite team in the ACC, and deserves the National prominence it has enjoyed, particularly in Death Valley where they dominate. As good as the Tigers are, I honestly believe they too would struggle in the SEC. Their loss to South Carolina last year was not a fluke; it serves as a warning to those ACC schools thinking about moving into the SEC.

As the SEC continues its expansion, and the elite get stronger; it will be interesting to see if the “middle of the road”, and the “bottom feeders” can sustain fan support.

Clemson is now, and has always been the elite team in the ACC, and deserves the National prominence it has enjoyed, particularly in Death Valley where they dominate. As good as the Tigers are, I honestly believe they too would struggle in the SEC. Their loss to South Carolina last year was not a fluke; it serves as a warning to those ACC schools thinking about moving into the SEC.
I agree with this and even more so with FSU. If either of those teams stay in the ACC and have a great season they will be in the playoffs. If they jump to the SEC or Big? Their opportunities are not going to come very often because it's going to be harder to have a great season.. Kind of the big fish in a small pond or small fish in a big pond argument..

Conference realignment has been about introducing new TV markets into the conferences. Florida State is in the panhandle and the SEC doesn`t need that. They have Florida for the TV market in that state and we have Georgia. Same with Clemson, we have the South Carolina TV market. What they need is the NC and DMV markets. Thats NC, NC State, Virginia and Tech. If the SEC expands further, that`s the schools they`ll probably target. Since this is a football move, Duke maybe left out.
I agree, Florida State wouldn`t be as successful in the SEC, at least not year to year. The SEC will have the typical powers and adding Texas and Oklahoma. A 4 loss SEC team would still be top 25 team going forward.
Markets don’t matter compared to big programs. It’s all about primetime TV matchups.

If the Florida Gators wanted to come to the ACC would we turn them down and say we’d rather have Indiana because they add new markets?

The answer is no. Florida draws viewers to national games. That’s where the money is right now.

The SEC already had Texas A&M. Texas is just a national brand and it’s not adding a new market. It’s adding primetime games that could get 5 million viewers.

North Carolina, NC State, Virginia, and others like that don’t add value. If they went to the SEC they’d have losing records and be playing in empty stadiums. They would never be on Network TV or in the top time slots. Cable is losing subscribers every day and the SEC Netowrk is already on in those states.

It would be like Jeff Ruby’s wanting to open a spot in Elizabethtown because it’s a new market rather than a 2nd location in Louisville. The issue is that there isn’t enough money or people in Elizabethtown to eat there.

Money has nothing to do with winning, like it used too. They are projecting the SEC will make $1.3 billion in 2024 and the Big Ten a little more. The next conference is the Big 12 at $600 million. TV deals are driving this, The Big Ten`s deal is with Fox, CBS and NBC. The SEC is with ESPN/ABC. As it stands now the SEC and Big Ten schools will be splitting twice as much money as the next conference, a team can go 0-11 and still get an equal share.
How long will that be allowed? At some point the big dogs will tire of sharing and leave to form a new league. The bottom feeders will be left behind.

The gap is going to matter when athletes become employees. That TV money will allow all their teams to have better pay-benefit packages. It won’t change the upper end teams in SEC and Big Ten but it would allow Purdue-Indiana to recruit better. FSU and Clemson may not be able to recruit at a really high level. I think that is their main concern.

Reactions: Wildcat40229
How long will that be allowed? At some point the big dogs will tire of sharing and leave to form a new league. The bottom feeders will be left behind.

Eventually programs are gonna go the way of Notre Dame and negotiate their own individual tv deals.

I don`t think that will happen, not saying it won`t, I just don't it happening. They still want to win and if they have loaded conferences, everyone could end the season at 6-6 to 8-4 and be left out of any playoff. The SEC has always shared so that`s nothing new to them. They even split the bowl money. Now, if the players become employee`s and I can see that happening, that may change things. The one question I have is this, if the players become employee`s, will they have to go to school or will they be there just to play ball? Ok... one more question, what will happen to the minor sports?

The employee thing becomes another rabbit hole, but it is coming.

The SEC is going to get hit with parity in the league. They all have talented players and good coaching. Bringing Texas and Oklahoma only brings in more talent and resources. Then bring in FSU and Clemson who have all the resources as well. The margin for error in that league is incredibly small. Even more than today each week will become a blood bath.

Money does matter and winning is directly related to winning titles in football.

Last edited:
Except UNC. UVA want the Big 10. They’re snob schools and the SEC is below them academically. Once the door opens those two jump to the Big 10. That’s been common knowledge for years. And it’s not a secret in the ACC. So the SEC can co after NCSU or WF neither bring a large market

The employee thing becomes another rabbit hole, but it is coming.

The SEC is going to get hit with parody in the league. They all have talented players and good coaching. Bringing Texas and Oklahoma only brings in more talent and resources. Then bring in FSU and Clemson who have all the resources as well. The margin for error in that league is incredibly small. Even more than today each week will become a blood bath.

Money does matter and winning is directly related to winning titles in football.
This won`t happen in the near future, but I can see the Big Ten and SEC joining in an alignment. They can go to 20 teams and going to a pro style playoff. They can have five 4 team divisions and the top 2 in each division being in the playoffs. The champion of each conference will play for the "championship". The other schools will have their own format.
I`m old and I think my opinion matters, even though it doesn`t.................... lol.

This won`t happen in the near future, but I can see the Big Ten and SEC joining in an alignment. They can go to 20 teams and going to a pro style playoff. They can have five 4 team divisions and the top 2 in each division being in the playoffs. The champion of each conference will play for the "championship". The other schools will have their own format.
I`m old and I think my opinion matters, even though it doesn`t.................... lol.
Oh I think this is the plan and it’s closer than any of us would like to admit.

All schools will look out for their own financial interests. No one really gives a damn about their conference or the little guys in it. Just lip service...

Eventually programs are gonna go the way of Notre Dame and negotiate their own individual tv deals.
Or it will go back to how it was before the court ruling where the NCAA couldn’t own all the TV rights.

They’ll get the big 60 or so teams together and combine them. It’ll work out better for the teams. They’ll work towards competitive balance. The system is going to collapse as some teams will have way more money and state laws will make it the Wild West.

All schools will look out for their own financial interests. No one really gives a damn about their conference or the little guys in it. Just lip service...
That’s why I love your posts. Numbers. Money. You and I aren’t on the same side of some issues, but you bring the numbers and I hope you think I bring mine to state my case too.

You are right that our current admin doesn’t understand what Ramsey and Jurich understood. Even the drunk red faced Pizza Racist understood it too. It’s about maximizing that dollar and your brand.

The group that got the football stadium got it started. Tom came in and really worked to improve everything. From donors to facilities. Coaches pay. Fan experience. It had to be top notch. James Ramsey’s leadership allowed it.

The hiring of Pitino was what took us to the next level. Tom took the swing for the fences and got us the guy. People don’t understand what Rick Pitino did for this University and city. He’s the guy that made people believe. Many of our 30 and under crowd don’t realize that Rick Pitino was one of the biggest names in all of sports in 2001. He got the donors and the casual city fans to take us seriously.

Then James and Tom didn’t stop. They made sure our entire athletics dept was elite. Not to mention our world class schools like our Dental program that gets no credit. Money from big business. Games on ESPN primetime to get us exposure. The Adidas deal. The wealth was spread. Then it got us to the Big East and now ACC.

Now Tom Jurich and Ramsey are gone. That’s a fact. We can’t change that now. But it’s on the current group to build on what the last group started.

Denny Crum made us a national brand. Howard made our football program get noticed which led to Papa John’s Stadium. Then it kept going. You can rest on what others have built like what others have done, or you can keep going further.

That’s why I love your posts. Numbers. Money. You and I aren’t on the same side of some issues, but you bring the numbers and I hope you think I bring mine to state my case too.

You are right that our current admin doesn’t understand what Ramsey and Jurich understood. Even the drunk red faced Pizza Racist understood it too. It’s about maximizing that dollar and your brand.

The group that got the football stadium got it started. Tom came in and really worked to improve everything. From donors to facilities. Coaches pay. Fan experience. It had to be top notch. James Ramsey’s leadership allowed it.

The hiring of Pitino was what took us to the next level. Tom took the swing for the fences and got us the guy. People don’t understand what Rick Pitino did for this University and city. He’s the guy that made people believe. Many of our 30 and under crowd don’t realize that Rick Pitino was one of the biggest names in all of sports in 2001. He got the donors and the casual city fans to take us seriously.

Then James and Tom didn’t stop. They made sure our entire athletics dept was elite. Not to mention our world class schools like our Dental program that gets no credit. Money from big business. Games on ESPN primetime to get us exposure. The Adidas deal. The wealth was spread. Then it got us to the Big East and now ACC.

Now Tom Jurich and Ramsey are gone. That’s a fact. We can’t change that now. But it’s on the current group to build on what the last group started.

Denny Crum made us a national brand. Howard made our football program get noticed which led to Papa John’s Stadium. Then it kept going. You can rest on what others have built like what others have done, or you can keep going further.
What did TJ do for the dental school?

I still think all these moves are short sighted. College sports is regional. The NFL is also set up regionally.

The SEC is perfect. It is regional even with the additions. The Big Ten and Big 12 have lost their regions. Games lose their excitement plus opposing teams fans stop coming to games.

Louisville has really struggled establishing any rival in ACC. In the Big East they had 2 in Cincy and WVU. Both those fan bases traveled. The ACC fanbases just don’t travel outside of FSU and Norte Dame.

What did the dental department do for athletics? I didn’t know the AD was supposed to do something for the Dental Department or any other area outside of athletics.

Since @beantowncard isn’t answering, I’ll assume he heard too many eulogies about Jurich.

A few of these guys live in a world where the last regime was overrated. Not sure how bad things need to get today to change that perspective…

It isn’t that Jurich over rated I doubt anyone feels he is over rated. It is that he gets a free pass on these boards for all the things that brought Louisville down. All the good outweighs the negative but the negative was under his watch. Bottom line he was not without his faults.

I do agree Ramsey and Jurich understood the importance of college athletics to this University. It would be wise to for the new President to embrace athletics.

Reactions: SoulSr
It isn’t that Jurich over rated I doubt anyone feels he is over rated. It is that he gets a free pass on these boards for all the things that brought Louisville down. All the good outweighs the negative but the negative was under his watch. Bottom line he was not without his faults.

I do agree Ramsey and Jurich understood the importance of college athletics to this University. It would be wise to for the new President to embrace athletics.
Interestingly, the new president seems a bit invisible so far, which is both good and bad. Of course, being an out of towner my primary contact with UofL is these boards, but if she just decides to let athletics run itself it would be an improvement over her predecessor.

I saw her once--recently--on TV.

@LeFors4Ever did a nice job summarizing in post 25 and probably doesn't feel the need to embellish or explain anything. He mentioned a specific school as an example. Who could possibly question the contributions that Jurich brought to the U of L brand and that that didn't benefit everyone sharing that identity?

I'm not sure what a local hip-hop star has done for U of L football that can be quantified, but apparently the head coach thinks there's some value in the association...

64b6d82d39f2c.image.jpg

I'm not sure about the so called hip hop guy but I'm VERY sure about the impact that Tom Jurich had on UofL athletics. Purely fantastic and we should all be grateful for his years here. His time came to an end and I accept that but the AD's office has been questionable since Jurich's departure. Just one man's opinion.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
Jurich has only created division since for he left. You can say he could have made life easier for his predecessors but choose to be bitter. His choice but if he loved the the University like he says then why has he dug his heals in? Denny Crum could have chosen the same path. He took the high road because the University success was never about Denny even though it was. That just isn’t Jurich mentality which is fine.

When any organization has internal division success is very difficult to achieve. It is a shame, hopefully the University and Athletics are on the same page. Ramsey and Jurich were always on the same page that is what allowed them to be successful. You could say the same with Olson/Denny/University.

I agree they don't need FSU & Clemson for markets, but does the 4 you named increase the $ that they'd get from TV? Highly doubtful adding those 4 would add enough TV$ to prevent the dilution of the $ per team. Doesn't make sense to a team(s) unless $ increases the per team share.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT