genowe

One-Star Poster
Gold Member
Feb 2, 2007
Attended a luncheon today where Browning Nagle was guest
speaker. Told some funny stories and brought back some
great memories of the beginning of the great football
traditions at UL with the Pipe. This guy should be recognized
more for his career and that awesome game against The Tide.

Ah Browning Nagle.. The guy who wanted to kill me during a softball game. Our company played in a coed softball league over at Seneca Park. If you are familiar with the fields, they don't have fences. I was playing right field and Nagle hit a ball that landed almost at Rock Creek road. Needless to say, I think he rounded the bases and had a beer before I got the ball back in.

I did however, have the last laugh which could have cost me a severe beating. First, coed rules were kind of funny. You had to alternate guys and girls in the lineup. You could intentionally walk the guys but they automatically got 2nd base. Well wIth us leading by 1 run in the last inning, two outs and the girl in front of Browning getting on first by an error, Nagle up to bat, I came screaming from the OF yelling at our pitcher to walk Nagle. Everyone looked at me puzzled because that meant he would go to second and the girl would go to 3rd. We did it and the next girl grounded out and we got the win. Nagle was furious and threatened to beat the living heck out of me. Their team turned over coolers and threw trash out on the field. I wonder if he remembers that game.

Reactions: beasleythecard
Ah Browning Nagle.. The guy who wanted to kill me during a softball game. Our company played in a coed softball league over at Seneca Park. If you are familiar with the fields, they don't have fences. I was playing right field and Nagle hit a ball that landed almost at Rock Creek road. Needless to say, I think he rounded the bases and had a beer before I got the ball back in.

I did however, have the last laugh which could have cost me a severe beating. First, coed rules were kind of funny. You had to alternate guys and girls in the lineup. You could intentionally walk the guys but they automatically got 2nd base. Well wIth us leading by 1 run in the last inning, two outs and the girl in front of Browning getting on first by an error, Nagle up to bat, I came screaming from the OF yelling at our pitcher to walk Nagle. Everyone looked at me puzzled because that meant he would go to second and the girl would go to 3rd. We did it and the next girl grounded out and we got the win. Nagle was furious and threatened to beat the living heck out of me. Their team turned over coolers and threw trash out on the field. I wonder if he remembers that game.[

Chicken S**** move on your part. You should be proud of yourself!
It probably means a lot more to you today than him!

Reactions: Capt Tony
You must be a Flaget grad! My class was 1955. I see he was at the alumni luncheon.
Would love to attend some day but too far away.

Still associate Browning with the movie "The Replacements". I believe Browning filled in very credibly for the Redskins during the strike.

I shook Nagle's hand once. Huge hands. He could probably palm a VW Bug.

What a great game by Nagle. I know someone that sees him on a regular basis and said he couldn't be nicer.

Last I heard, he lived here in the Memphis area. Where was your luncheon?

Browning moved to Louisville four years ago from Memphis, and he spoke today at the Flaget High School Alumni luncheon. He told some great stories today about playing for Coach Schnellenberger and said that Coach struck such fear in him that he could not look Coach in the eye and would look at his forehead instead. He also said that Coach watched film on Alabama and told the players that Alabama was not going to know what hit them, come Fiesta Bowl game time. Coach had noticed that Alabama liked to substitute faster players on passing downs, so in the 5 weeks of preparation for the game, he totally revamped the offense to the no huddle hurry up offense and outcoached Gene Stallings. He also said that before the first game of the season that year, San Jose State, that they were doing 3-a-day practices. He, Ted Washington and Mark Sander and another fellow whose name I can't recall, decided to go to Coach on behalf of the team to see if they couldn't cut back a little on practice in order to be well rested for the game on the west coast. They hadn't decided who would speak up, but Mark asked Coach about letting them rest up. Coach immediately says, "This meeting is over. Be on the field in five minutes!" Very enjoyable getting to hear Browning speak, and we reminisced about the talent show held in Tempe before the Fiesta Bowl for both teams and how he introduced me to sing "The Dream Lives On" as a tenth year senior, which makes me a 35th year senior now, lol! He needs to be in the U of L Hall of Fame, as his record setting performance in the Fiesta Bowl, under Coach Schnellenberger's tutelage, laid the foundation for the stadium and the present state of Louisville football. Go Cards!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT