ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm Watch Begins Next Monday

You can play that game with any team at the end of the year, who they beat or didn't . The reality was the
2006 team had NFL talent as did the Rutgers team. Both were very good teams. Louisville would have stood toe to toe with Ohio State that year.

I will throw 2012 in there too, that was a legit team with a legit defense. There was a lot of NFL talent on that team. They never had a shot because of the BCS system, but UCF and Lousville won big bowls that year.

2016 Louisville was legit until Houston. Say what you up to that point they were being talk about for the playoff. Purdue has never been mentioned, when Purdue gets a mention get back with us.

The bottom line in the past 10 years Louisville has proven their ceiling is much higher than Purdue. Will that continue to be the case that is really the question isn't it.
Saying Louisville's ceiling is higher based off of Big East results is laughable. Now in the ACC Louisville's ceiling when Florida st eventually comes back to being Florida st is going to be 3rd in the ACC Atlantic. Heisman winner got you a 4 loss season. He came back and got you a 5 loss season. He's now gone and look at the disaster.

Also lets stop comparing big east Louisville teams to Hazell led Purdue teams like it's all Purdue ever put on the field. Almost every team that Joe Tiller put on the field would've mopped the floor with the competition Louisville played back in the early 2000s but had to play the pre Big Ten West schedule instead. Danny Hope's teams would have been very competitive in the big east and likely finish near the top but he played some brutal schedules.

Side note - 2006 Louisville gets blown out against 2006 Ohio st. Don't kid yourself and I hate defending OSU

You never watched that 2006, 2012 or 2016 team so don't act like you know anything about any of those Louisville teams. That is like arguing UCF wasn't a good team last year because of the conference they play in. That is such a lazy narrative a team isn't any good because of the conference they play in. A good team is pretty easy to spot and yes the Purdue teams with Tiller and Bree's were really good. Who said they weren't?

The fact is Louisville has proven it can attract NFL talent and with the right coach, not sure if that is Brohm, they can compete with Clemson and FSU.

Your 2016 team was a mirage ... only beat 1 ranked team all year (Fl State .. who was ranked 2 at the time ... but also lost to an unranked NC team 2 weeks later and fell down the polls). Heck, you lost to Kentucky that year! Lamar was great that year tho.

And in 2006 ... you only beat 2 ranked teams all year ... and that includes Miami who was ranked early in the year (when you beat them) but was exposed the rest of the year and lost 6 games. The only other ranked team you beat that year (during the regular season) was West Virginia .. who only beat 1 ranked team all year (Rutgers). That was the beginning of the slow death of the BE as a football conference. And if you think an undefeated Louisville was going to get in over a 1 loss Florida team ($EC), well, no ... not happening (first year of Tebow mania).
This brilliance coming from a Bears fan.
BTW, when did Purdue ever get that close?
C’mon, man!

Saying Louisville's ceiling is higher based off of Big East results is laughable. Now in the ACC Louisville's ceiling when Florida st eventually comes back to being Florida st is going to be 3rd in the ACC Atlantic. Heisman winner got you a 4 loss season. He came back and got you a 5 loss season. He's now gone and look at the disaster.

Also lets stop comparing big east Louisville teams to Hazell led Purdue teams like it's all Purdue ever put on the field. Almost every team that Joe Tiller put on the field would've mopped the floor with the competition Louisville played back in the early 2000s but had to play the pre Big Ten West schedule instead. Danny Hope's teams would have been very competitive in the big east and likely finish near the top but he played some brutal schedules.

Side note - 2006 Louisville gets blown out against 2006 Ohio st. Don't kid yourself and I hate defending OSU
We would have pounded tOSU that year. That team was legit.

You can play that game with any team at the end of the year, who they beat or didn't . The reality was the
2006 team had NFL talent as did the Rutgers team. Both were very good teams. Louisville would have stood toe to toe with Ohio State that year.

I will throw 2012 in there too, that was a legit team with a legit defense. There was a lot of NFL talent on that team. They never had a shot because of the BCS system, but UCF and Lousville won big bowls that year.

2016 Louisville was legit until Houston. Say what you up to that point they were being talk about for the playoff. Purdue has never been mentioned, when Purdue gets a mention get back with us.

The bottom line in the past 10 years Louisville has proven their ceiling is much higher than Purdue. Will that continue to be the case that is really the question isn't it.
My point was that both of the years pointed out as ‘far better than Purdue’ were because of soft schedule and those teams were exposed once they faced better competition. Purdue’s wins THIS year were better than either of those teams referenced. That’s all i was pointing out.

This brilliance coming from a Bears fan.
BTW, when did Purdue ever get that close?
C’mon, man!
What do the Bears have to do with College? Loved Doug Buffone btw.

Neither of our schools have ever really been that close. Purdue 2004 was similar to your 2016 team ... started out well (ranked #5), had the infamous Orton/Wisconsin fumble and wheels fell off from there (and never recovered).

Face it .. we are both tortured fan bases!

I think we'll hear something (may or may not be official) on Sunday cause even if Purdue beats Indiana, a lot of coaches who is leaving to go to another team, normally don't coach the bowl game.

Reactions: wilkie01
You never watched that 2006, 2012 or 2016 team so don't act like you know anything about any of those Louisville teams. That is like arguing UCF wasn't a good team last year because of the conference they play in. That is such a lazy narrative a team isn't any good because of the conference they play in. A good team is pretty easy to spot and yes the Purdue teams with Tiller and Bree's were really good. Who said they weren't?

The fact is Louisville has proven it can attract NFL talent and with the right coach, not sure if that is Brohm, they can compete with Clemson and FSU.
You didn't directly say it but you did say Louisville had a higher ceiling and only gave 3 years. 2 of those 3 you mentioned came while Louisville was in the big east.

I pointed out how good I thought Tiller's Purdue teams (which it seems you agree were good) and a couple Hope's too would have done in that conference.

I don't think higher success in a lower conference means one team has a higher ceiling than another. It's like saying Ohio University who has been a bowl eligible team 12 of the last 13 years has a higher ceiling than lets say Illinois. It's not to say those programs aren't good but i don't think they are competing or ranked as high in a larger conference. My junior year of high school I went on a few recruiting trips to Cincinnati when they were undefeated and top 5 in the country. Watched them that year on Black Friday vs Illinois and wasn't too impressed that they couldn't pound a 3 win Illinois team. They ended up getting blown out by florida in their bowl game that year. In the big ten they were probably a 4-5 loss team so there's my point.

Maybe you were saying Louisville had a higher ceiling because their path was easier to get to a bigger bowl game? If that's the case then Purdue has the advantage there now because the big ten west isn't as deep as the ACC Atlantic.

Two side notes to your last message

1 - UCF was a good team but their schedule and conference determined their ceiling and is again this year. That's why a 20+ consecutive win team is currently 9th.

2 - all power 5 conference teams attract NFL talent. It takes a lot more than that to compete year in and out with Clemson and FSU (when they're FSU)

Again you are getting defensive about certain Purude teams. I know they were good during those years. Conference affiliation is an excuse and a lazy narrative. We have heard this whining before. Purdue has had all the advantages of playing in the Big Ten and have done nothing with that luxury. UCF and Louisville didn't have all the luxuries ($$$) of being in a Big Ten or SEC. Louisville and UCF had disadvantages in recruiting. Despite those obstacles they have buIlt really good programs and when they had the right coaching staff they were a factor in college football.

The fact is Louisville was relevant more than Purdue during the last 10-15 years. Yes, it is reasonable to believe a team that just entered a Power 5 conference 5 years ago has a higher ceiling than a team that has been in the Big Ten for 100 years. Purdue has had 1 coach since 1982 that has had a winning record. Brohm is now the 2nd with potentially back to back winning years.

Reactions: Mayoman
I think we'll hear something (may or may not be official) on Sunday cause even if Purdue beats Indiana, a lot of coaches who is leaving to go to another team, normally don't coach the bowl game.
Maybe, but if that happens then it will cost an extra 1 million to get him. If they wait until after the 6th of December, the buyout from Purdue drops by a cool million.

Tyra has basically given the time in the article today in the CJ. He would like to have a coach in place 10 days before the early signing period. He will follow the proper protocol and contact the various AD's either Saturday or Sunday. It could play out 2 ways.

1) Tyra calls Purdue's AD on Saturday. That is what to watch for on the ticker or Twitter Saturday if that happens it will move quickly. The decision to stay or go will be made on Sunday or Monday. Purdue will put Brohm on the clock at a that point and not let him drag it which he is not going to do anyway.
2) Tyra calls the Purdue AD on the 5th telling him he is going to interview Brohm. Nothing Purdue can do and it gives Brohm time to process what Purdue has to offer. It gives Tyra time to interview all the other candidates and make a quick decision if Brohm says no. Save 1m in the meantime if he says yes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT