ADVERTISEMENT

'Breaking Cardinal Rules' listed as required reading for students in one U of L class

REDFISTFURY3

4500+
Mar 21, 2015
(WDRB) -- "Breaking Cardinal Rules" is now required reading for U of L students in a human trafficking class.

The university bookstore's website shows Katina Powell's book is needed for an undergraduate criminal justice course

This University is own right embarrassing itself left and right one dumb move after another how in the hell would a school allow money to be given "required" to someone that has torn it's shool apart?

Sounds like a Prof making a statement that they don't like the direction the university is headed in. Couldn't be a more textbook (no pun intended) case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Hope they're tenured. Actually, no I don't...

You may be looking at this from the wrong angle. This is probably more about the Ho trafficking her daughters and other Ho's than UL's part in the scandal.

You may be looking at this from the wrong angle. This is probably more about the Ho trafficking her daughters and other Ho's than UL's part in the scandal.
I don't think so. Sadly in this day and age, I'm guessing that there has been plenty written about human trafficking such that using Powell's 90 page "book" would be unnecessary.

Plus if the class is about showing how horrible human trafficking is, aren't you sending mixed signals by enriching a human trafficker?

Reactions: footnfan1
I think the professor is using this as a local example of human trafficking issue. And, as painful as it is, it only points the finger at Katina Powell and her using her daughters as prostitutes.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

That may be the case, but why would you financially support Katina (an admitted sex trafficker) and this publisher. There are certainly other books on the issue. This professor definitely has ulterior motives. The students need to boycott this book on the grounds of refusing to support human trafficking.

I think the professor is using this as a local example of human trafficking issue. And, as painful as it is, it only points the finger at Katina Powell and her using her daughters as prostitutes.

This was my thinking also.

...and fail the class? Most of the students are probably glad the professor is only making them read a 90 page journal/book

Great material to get the students involved in discussions /debate after reading. Very passinate subject to many of the students in the area.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
Funny with all these Lexington fans teaching us morals. How would you like it if a teacher at UaK taught a class on fudging academic records and vacating wins and using Calipari as the example of what not to do? This would be academic and teach ethics, correct? Or a class on Rupp teaching the history of racism?

No, I'm not condoning any of this ordeal. I blame Katina as much as I blame McGee. My issue is why support her book when she is an admitted trafficker with her own daughters. Maybe you agree with supporting a "Madame" financially, but I do not.

And how did the University falsify anything in this ordeal? As soon as the Katina incident became known they hired their own investigator and took action. As they say, they're an open book regarding this investigation. Maybe you were fired for your lack of comprehension skills, just saying.

Funny with all these Lexington fans teaching us morals. How would you like it if a teacher at UaK taught a class on fudging academic records and vacating wins and using Calipari as the example of what not to do? This would be academic and teach ethics, correct? Or a class on Rupp teaching the history of racism?

Maybe you should write the book on how Don Haskins, Nolan Richardson, and John Chaney played the race card to their benefit. You might want to include Denny.:rolleyes:

Maybe you should write the book on how Don Haskins, Nolan Richardson, and John Chaney played the race card to their benefit. You might want to include Denny.:rolleyes:
No, I'm just saying since you're so concerned with our affairs you may want to ensure your school's in order first.

Can somebody here share with us what the class is, and, perhaps, a section of the course syllabus?
For all we know right now, it could be a course in logic attempting to show a bad example.

My mistake, should have read the OP more closely. I checked out the WDRB story, and read the course description there.

In that professor's defense, and to play devil's advocate, a current story that is close to home would be something students would be more engaged in rather than stories of human trafficking taking place half-way around the world.

The course is subtitled "Critical Thinking in Modern Day Slavery" and appears to be a senior level class. This is no lightweight discussion. Based on the course description, I suspect the professor could use the point of view of "why would this woman do this with her own daughters?"

I wish somebody taking the class could weigh in on this.

My mistake, should have read the OP more closely. I checked out the WDRB story, and read the course description there.

In that professor's defense, and to play devil's advocate, a current story that is close to home would be something students would be more engaged in rather than stories of human trafficking taking place half-way around the world.

The course is subtitled "Critical Thinking in Modern Day Slavery" and appears to be a senior level class. This is no lightweight discussion. Based on the course description, I suspect the professor could use the point of view of "why would this woman do this with her own daughters?"

I wish somebody taking the class could weigh in on this.
I agree that this could be a teaching moment. What I don't understand is why Katina Powell will be making money off of this book for required reading. Do you all not see the irony in this? Someone pimping out her own daughters should not be making money period!!

No, I'm just saying since you're so concerned with our affairs you may want to ensure your school's in order first.

I'm a UK fan for 60+ years and I don't hate UL and not posting on your current affairs..you can prove that to yourself. I just feel that real fans of different schools should talk about basketball and not about history 50/60 years ago that has nothing to do with cbb today.
Most negative comments are made by people with no first hand knowledge of actually history.

Did you know that most southern cbb teams in the 50's and early 60's were 100% white including Duke (who UK beat in the semi in '66) and the North and South Car teams........not even to mention the Ala & Miss teams.........UK is singled out only because they were relevant in that era.

Reactions: awf
I'm a UK fan for 60+ years and I don't hate UL and not posting on your current affairs..you can prove that to yourself. I just feel that real fans of different schools should talk about basketball and not about history 50/60 years ago that has nothing to do with cbb today.
Most negative comments are made by people with no first hand knowledge of actually history.

Did you know that most southern cbb teams in the 50's and early 60's were 100% white including Duke (who UK beat in the semi in '66) and the North and South Car teams........not even to mention the Ala & Miss teams.........UK is singled out only because they were relevant in that era.

The question comes up sporadically in conversations with other UK fans - "if you could change the result of one UK game in history, what would it be?" Personally, I'd flip that win over Duke in the 1966 Final Four to a loss.

Reactions: awf and poppycat
I agree that this could be a teaching moment. What I don't understand is why Katina Powell will be making money off of this book for required reading. Do you all not see the irony in this? Someone pimping out her own daughters should not be making money period!!
Agreed that Powell should ot be making money off of it.

However, I was a student once, and I would do anything to save money. Just because the book is required reading doesn't mean that every student is buying a copy.

The question comes up sporadically in conversations with other UK fans - "if you could change the result of one UK game in history, what would it be?" Personally, I'd flip that win over Duke in the 1966 Final Four to a loss.

You are right man !! no book, no movie, and Duke is racist.....(well no on that)
Not many realized that Chaney changed his starting line up for that one reason.
........it worked.......guess that's all that matters.......

Someone needs to ask Unseld and B Beard if they really wanted to travel to Ala and Miss in the 50's to play bb.......their answer might surprise you......no, not if you studied history.

Question...why isn't the N Y Yankees considered racist by allowing Brooklyn to be the first to interegrate MLB with Jackie Robinson? As a white southern farm boy in '55, guess what were some names thrown at me when I cheered the Dodgers on. ...and that was middle school

Last edited:
Reactions: awf
If you would ignore the sUcK fans they will go away. Just don't respond to them!

That's right kid........never let the facts affect your agenda. There are some really good knowledge fans here on both sides only looking to discuss bb past and present.
Our personal opinions won't change history.......neither will distorted info.

Reactions: footnfan1 and awf
Back to the original topic, this is a good teaching method. It is timely, relevant, local, and teachable. Not something you always get. I think the Professor is making the right move. This is a class on human trafficking, after all.

As far as Katrina Powell profiting, an unfortunate byproduct. I am guessing she gets around $1-2 per book, depending on her publishing contract... possibly less. If you assume a college class has 25 students, you are looking at $25-50, if that. Something tells me she won't see a dime after all the expenses, lawyer fees, etc.

Reactions: awf and poppycat
I don't have an issue with the professor discussing the issue. My issue is with Powell profiting from immoral and illegal acts. So that's why I'm against the use if the book not the topic.
Why is this so hard for UK fans to understand? I feel like I need to draw them a diagram in crayons explaining everything.

Reactions: CardsFirst

Again - no offense but that's crap. Plenty of human trafficking that goes on locally every Derby season. This is an agenda - thumb in the eye to the university type of deal.

Last edited:
Someone needs to ask Unseld and B Beard if they really wanted to travel to Ala and Miss in the 50's to play bb.......their answer might surprise you......no, not if you studied history.

Question...why isn't the N Y Yankees considered racist by allowing Brooklyn to be the first to interegrate MLB with Jackie Robinson? As a white southern farm boy in '55, guess what were some names thrown at me when I cheered the Dodgers on. ...and that was middle school
Many on this board have talked with beard and unseld. The both are open in their opinion that Rupp was never interested n recruiting them based on their race. You can give all the excuses you want to why Rupp refusesd to use his unprecedented influence to help blacks, but it doesn't fill the void of his reluctance.

Reactions: JohnCard28

Rupp tried to recruit Wes Unseld in 1964 and Butch Beard the next year. Both black players were Mr. Basketball in Kentucky their senior years of high school. Both ended up at Louisville.

Beard said Rupp recruited him because he was feeling alumni pressure for missing on Unseld. Beard knew it would take a special person to be the first black player at Kentucky, and he didn't believe he was prepared to be that pioneer. He also sensed that Rupp didn't really want him, that there was more at work than a coach recruiting a star athlete.

Reactions: JohnCard28
Rupp tried to recruit Wes Unseld in 1964 and Butch Beard the next year. Both black players were Mr. Basketball in Kentucky their senior years of high school. Both ended up at Louisville.

Beard said Rupp recruited him because he was feeling alumni pressure for missing on Unseld. Beard knew it would take a special person to be the first black player at Kentucky, and he didn't believe he was prepared to be that pioneer. He also sensed that Rupp didn't really want him, that there was more at work than a coach recruiting a star athlete.

IYP>>>>would Unseld have played for UL if UL had been a member of the SEC?
Whether Rupp was serious or not on Unseld/Beard , I don't know. One thing we all know is that the Freedom March in Ala and Miss caused much abuse to the marchers and some missing persons.in the 60's.......Hard to blame any teenager to pass on that in the 50's

Whether Rupp was serious or not on Unseld/Beard , I don't know. One thing we all know is that the Freedom March in Ala and Miss caused much abuse to the marchers and some missing persons.in the 60's.......Hard to blame any teenager to pass on that in the 50's
Poppy, it must get tiring defending UK's racist history. Maybe if you keep repeating that Rupp was a saint, it will all go away.

(WDRB) -- "Breaking Cardinal Rules" is now required reading for U of L students in a human trafficking class.

The university bookstore's website shows Katina Powell's book is needed for an undergraduate criminal justice course

This University is own right embarrassing itself left and right one dumb move after another how in the hell would a school allow money to be given "required" to someone that has torn it's shool apart?
Dumb crap that I've ever heard !

Poppy, it must get tiring defending UK's racist history. Maybe if you keep repeating that Rupp was a saint, it will all go away.

Would you like to answer my question?
The SEC and ACC was made up of teams in the South. All were 100% white.
Travel means, hotels and restaurant were all segregated or whites only.
It would take a real pioneer to change that.....would Unseld or Beard take on that in 58/59 if UL had been a SEC member?

About Rupp, The only thing I really liked about him was he could win games. I didn't know him personally but knew people who claimed to. They had the same opinion.

Many on this board have talked with beard and unseld. The both are open in their opinion that Rupp was never interested n recruiting them based on their race. You can give all the excuses you want to why Rupp refusesd to use his unprecedented influence to help blacks, but it doesn't fill the void of his reluctance.

What people who call Rupp a racist refuse to acknowledge is that recruiting black kids was useless. They wouldn't be allowed in they places that they traveled. Why recruit kids who wouldn't be allowed in hotels, restaurants, or any other place the team would be? He was labeled a racist so he would fit into the story line. You can not judge a person constricted by his times by today's standards. It simply isn't fair. How come we don't see more stories about his interactions with black people at that time? Because it debunks the racism line. Rupp had no influence outside of the recently developed game that wasn't that big. When the south started to desegregate Rupp recruited black players. I am sure that two black kids (Beard?Unseld)who had grown up hearing, "Rupp is a racist", probably didn't feel comfortable around him.

I hear you and won't disagree, but would Unseld or Beard taken on that endeavor if they were convinced that Rupp was seriously interested.
(Or if UL had been a SEC member)

It would take a real pioneer to change that.....would Unseld or Beard take on that in 58/59 if UL had been a SEC member?

About Rupp, The only thing I really liked about him was he could win games. I didn't know him personally but knew people who claimed to. They had the same opinion.

Posted from the beautiful beaches of South Padre Island. Good day on the boat; and an even better day at the dinner table.

There is no way for us to know if Beard or Unseld would have been interested in taking on the challenge of being the first African American to play for Rupp and Kentucky. I'm sure Coach Rupp chose a great ambassador of the highest character to assume that pioneering role of playing Kentucky's Jackie Robinson. Who was the "chosen one" and what is he doing with his life these days anyway?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Payne_(basketball)

Last edited:

Ok Poppy. You made your point. If everybody was racist in your league, then it makes it fine for Rupp to also be racist. Thanks for clarifying everything for me.

Last edited:
Rupp coached black kids in the 30's, a racist doesn't do that.
He did give recommendations for local black kids to schools in the North.
He also helped promote and fund basketball tournaments for black high schools in KY.
UK played teams with black players at a time when most Southern schools wouldn't.

I'm not saying the guy was a saint, but all it takes is a little research to realize he wasn't the racist he's been painted as being.

Rupp coached black kids in the 30's, a racist doesn't do that.
He did give recommendations for local black kids to schools in the North.
He also helped promote and fund basketball tournaments for black high schools in KY.
UK played teams with black players at a time when most Southern schools wouldn't.

I'm not saying the guy was a saint, but all it takes is a little research to realize he wasn't the racist he's been painted as being.

Look, I really don't care. I'm even a racist--I hate Vandili's. All that is in the past though. It is amazing that most UK fan's try to defend your past. Embrace it. It is who your are.

Anyways, this thread completely went off topic. I just made a point that UK has garbage in their past that is not anything better than UofL's current situation. Got it? I'm out. Going to celebrate the Cards' win in a responsible manner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT