ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest disappointment

KingHenry_X

15000+
Gold Member
Nov 11, 2004
TN
The two things I really wanted to see from this team, I saw the exact opposite.

Tackling. This is a real problem. I really liked what I saw from the defensive playcalling, gap control and reaction...BUT...there were so many plays that should have been great defensive stops if only our player stopped the ball carrier and not missed the tackle. With the way the game is evolving - with greater emphasis being placed on player safety and protection - there is going to be less and less jarring hits. The best defenses in football, at all levels, don’t necessarily deliver the hardest hits - they stop forward progress and minimize yards after first contact.

The biggest thing I wanted to see, regardless of score, was how they played in the fourth quarter. I wanted to see fight and pride until the final whistle. I saw resignation and going through the motions against 2nd and 3rd stringers. The body language was very troublesome. Nobody likes having their azz handed to them, but get up, fight harder. Keep fighting harder. Have the attitude that you lost only because you ran out of clock. This is an indication of team character, and will be the difference between 6-7 wins and 8-9 wins (or better). But lets be honest here - and no, I am not implying Petrino should be on the hotseat - has any Bobby Petrino team, either 1.0 or 2.0, ever been a “second half” team? Almost every memorable win of Petrino’s tenure has been one where we jumped on the opponent from the outset. In fact, I’d like to know an interesting stat if anyone is willing to do the research: What is the greatest deficit CBP has erased as a head coach? If I had to guess, it probably is the Auburn game or one of the two comeback wins against UK led by Bolin and Jackson, respectively. If those are the right answer, I’m not impressed. Auburn had turned to their backups who had no answer for Jackson and had to bring their starters back in. That also was not a good Auburn team. They were projected to be good, but ended up having issues at QB and DL not playing up to potential. If it is UK - well...1) its a rivalry game and 2) it is Kentucky, who are not well-coached.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.