ADVERTISEMENT

Big series with Clemson starting tonight

Bardman

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Clemson has moved into the Top 25 and only has six losses themselves. Not sure what sort of squad they have this year but tradionally they seem to have plenty of talent. A series win against a ranked opponent on the road would tell us a lot about where this team is.

It looks like we get Davis Sharpe,right hander to open it up. Curious to see how Coach goes with the lineup. Start Davis or Pinkham the lefty who's been hot?
Pit Danny O in right and dh Britton? Stay tuned....GO Cards!!

I think Britton needs to get to the plate. But, defense is critical. Maybe I go with Leonard in right. You then have Danny as needed. I think, unless Detmers is just comfortable with Davis that you go with Zeke. As you stated - he’s a lefty and has been hitting the ball. Again, you now have the righty Davis available as needed.

I think Britton needs to get to the plate. But, defense is critical. Maybe I go with Leonard in right. You then have Danny as needed. I think, unless Detmers is just comfortable with Davis that you go with Zeke. As you stated - he’s a lefty and has been hitting the ball. Again, you now have the righty Davis available as needed.
What Bardman said. Typically you would go with the catcher that Detmers is more comfortable with. You don’t want to mess that up just because of 1 potential batter.

I think Britton needs to get to the plate. But, defense is critical. Maybe I go with Leonard in right. You then have Danny as needed. I think, unless Detmers is just comfortable with Davis that you go with Zeke. As you stated - he’s a lefty and has been hitting the ball. Again, you now have the righty Davis available as ne
I haven't paid enough attention to the Friday night battery to know,other than Coach alternating Pink and Henry. I agree with your assessment of using Lefty Leonard in right and Britton at dh

Hopefully Bennett gets us back even! Go Cards!
Yep,and hopefully we can get the top going. They have to be on base for CM to do what they've gotten good at here lately,getting the runners in motion.

The lack of consistent base hitting is alarming. We have recruited very well when it comes to pitching and defense. Hitters...somewhat hit and miss (no pun intended). Still time to get hit but losing this series is not a good sign.

Still time to get hit
I think somebody said it in another thread a few weeks ago. It's the approach that looks off. Guessing,looking for a certain pitch. It leads to pitcher''s counts instead of hitter's counts. The other guys have scouting reports of tendencies. Time to buck those and start going with the pitch.
And yes,there is plenty of ball left to get hot.

Pretty incredible win today. Also incredible: the Cards have never been swept in ACC play. Ever.

Last edited:
Some real fortitude today and against Ga.Tech a few weeks ago to somehow pull out Sunday wins after being pushed around for most of the weekend.
To steal a term, 'the cake has not quite baked'. I hope they can get that cake baked in the next month or so.

I'm starting to think you might be right. This year's squad is really good. They just seem to be missing a few components.
Snider,Fitz and Wyatt have to get better at bats. Just a bit inconsistent. Great to see Dunn back,and with Lavey warming up,there are some options there.

What's not happened is that nobody that has gotten a chance to take a spot has done so,with the exception of Davis. Binelas will probably be the odd man out on some nights if Mac decides to move Dunn back in. Campbell had a lock on center,but his hitting has been disappointing.
Idk,but there are several guys that need to get going. Some were expected and others that have gotten a chance,but have not broke out.

One of two things needs to happen,imo. The first is the veterans on this team coming around and carrying the team or some youngsters putting more on their shoulders than they'd thought would be asked....or both.

There were some lessons hopefully learned from how Clemson approaches their hitting. They hunt fastballs and put them in play....somewhere.

Last edited:
Snider,Fitz and Wyatt have to get better at bats. Just a bit inconsistent. Great to see Dunn back,and with Lavey warming up,there are some options there.

What's not happened is that nobody that has gotten a chance to take a spot has done so,with the exception of Davis. Binelas will probably be the odd man out on some nights if Mac decides to move Dunn back in. Campbell had a lock on center,but his hitting has been disappointing.
Idk,but there are several guys that need to get going. Some were expected and others that have gotten a chance,but have not broke out.

There were some lessons hopefully learned from how Clemson approaches their hitting. They hunt fastballs and put them in play....somewhere.

I disagree on Binelas. Both he and Davis are the future stars, and, current power, for this team. Alex needs to be the guy. I'd prefer Mac stick with a firm starting roster, but, as he said post game yesterday, he's got 12-13 guys who are everyday starters. It's a good problem to have, but chemistry is real.

Speaking of better at bats, the team BA is .257. That's down from .292 last year. That's significant. All teams have to battle outstanding pitching at the plate, but Louisville seems particularly disadvantaged at that this year.

Both home runs in the 11th by Binelas and Campbell were off first pitches. We need to see more of that. Don't go chasing pitches, but be more aggressive.

Binelas can't get comfortable, that's all I mean. Lavey is the best infielder on the team. The best thing that happened to him was getting a seat for a game or two and then Dunn getting hurt.There are a few more I wish had gotten sat.

Lavey will be an every day guy going forward,whether at 3rd or 2nd. He's a tenacious competitor.

Last edited:
Binelas can't get comfortable, that's all I mean. Lavey is the best infielder on the team.
I think we were both right. With Dunn moving into the outfield,the infield is rock solid with Binelas and Lavey.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT