ADVERTISEMENT

Big game on the diamond tonight...

McClure (7-0) vs Logue (1-1) round 2. Cards gave that loss to Logue in round 1. Cards are ranked #3 while kitties come in at #12. Game at 6 pm and will be shown on Espn3.

McClure (7-0) vs Logue (1-1) round 2. Cards gave that loss to Logue in round 1. Cards are ranked #3 while kitties come in at #12. Game at 6 pm and will be shown on Espn3.

Thanks for the info. I will be watching...I hope. I'm switching over from DISH Network to DirecTV this afternoon, and don't know if my new provider account info will be available to receive an ESPN3 stream by that time.

I hope everybody got to see that gem tonite.I think we're in the midst of something.I saw it over the weekend against Clemson and it continued tonite.I had a decent spot on 3rd base line.

Cards,down 5-1 I believe, scratched and clawed(no pun) their way back into this game.Devin Hairston gets the last laugh on big bro with single rbi in 9th to win the game.He is fast becoming an integral part of Cardinal baseball.

Reactions: Louisvillian
This team exudes confidence and is never out of a ballgame. It's proving that it can hit just about anyone's pitching, short of a great pitcher having a great game. And the line-up is dangerous from 1 thru 9.

If Funk gets his groove back--or most of it--look out!

Good to see Kidston get some action. He's only pitched 8 innings this year. The key to a successful run in Omaha is to have a deep pitching staff. Rosenbaum had some big hits tonight and of course Ray's 2 run blast over centerfield, easily 410 feet.

The UK - U of L rivalry is strong. 5000 in attendance at $8 is awesome! 5 straight over the kitties with 2 straight walk offs in Patterson winning 2-1 last year!!

Baseball is very underrated in this state, IMO. Louisville always has a top baseball team while Kentucky is usually mediocre, but the state usually produces some major league talent at the top.

Reactions: Steelers2012
Great post game photo from last night's game. Sibling rivalry or brotherly love; you decide.

My guess on the caption: "Sorry big Bro, but just couldn't let you walk away with a "W" in OUR house".

CgfV9cQW4AAgSPV.jpg:large

Last edited:
Baseball is very underrated in this state, IMO. Louisville always has a top baseball team while Kentucky is usually mediocre, but the state usually produces some major league talent at the top.

I'm showing my age but Louisville has not "always" had a top baseball team. Before McDonnell UofL baseball was pretty bad most of the time. Unless I'm mistaken they only had one NCAA tournament appearance before McDonnell. I remember going to the games when I was a student in the 70s and there were more players than fans at the games. I have a good friend who played baseball at Florida State which has been a long-time power. I was talking to him last week and he said he was amazed at the level of talent UofL is getting and the quality of the team. To go from nowhere to one of the nations top programs in less than a decade is remarkable. All credit to McDonnell and Jurich.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
I'm showing my age but Louisville has not "always" had a top baseball team. Before McDonnell UofL baseball was pretty bad most of the time. Unless I'm mistaken they only had one NCAA tournament appearance before McDonnell. I remember going to the games when I was a student in the 70s and there were more players than fans at the games. I have a good friend who played baseball at Florida State which has been a long-time power. I was talking to him last week and he said he was amazed at the level of talent UofL is getting and the quality of the team. To go from nowhere to one of the nations top programs in less than a decade is remarkable. All credit to McDonnell and Jurich.
Prado had a good tenure here before DM, coach has just kicked it up a few more notches.

In fact, Prado won over 30 games six times while he was here.

Actually I consider Louisville baseball to go back further than Prado. Jim Zerilla coached u of L from 1972-79. He ranks third in all time wins. He had 4 20 win seasons which seems low now compared to coach Mac but Coach Z was a really good coach. He was Missouri valley coach of the year in 1975.

Although coach Mac gets almost all of the credit, it was coach Z and coach Prado that instituted the U of L Christmas and summer camps in which gave local high school players from St X and PRP to name a few an opportunity to improve their baseball skills.

These guys set the foundation for McDonnell.
Prado coached when we were in Conference USA which at the time was a really strong baseball conference with Tulane, southern Miss, Eastern Carolina, etc.

Without me looking at the roster how many local in state kids do you guys have? Seems like the Louisville area produces some pretty good high school baseball teams

With only 12 available schollies, you have to be a top draw for local talent to be successful. And the in-state and southern Indiana recruits who have to pay get a substantial discount in tuition. I've heard Coach Mac talk at length on this subject...

Solak was back in the lineup last night. Didn't start but came in as PH and played 2B. He got an RBI double. He is a big key for our postseason success, although Mann has been outstanding. Bodes well for next year along with Drew Ellis. McClure is now 8-0 in midweek games.

Reactions: earsky
I was a bit surprised myself. Didn't realize we pulled so many players from Lexington.
For a while, Owensboro was sending players to UofL at a similar rate. Ijames, Holland, Sturgeon, Brad Johnson, Justin Marks..........lots of fellers. It has cooled some and Lexington has raised its recruiting profile. Players like Logan Taylor and Tiberi are from small schools out in the state. But right now, it's Northern Illinois by a mile as the lead source - the Burdi's, Ray, Lyman and others.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT