ADVERTISEMENT

Art Briles out at Baylor

I could be wrong but I think the player accused of rape was convicted, yet he was not disciplined by Briles and allowed to play after being charged with the crime, but obviously before his trial. He protected several players from the criminal justice system during his time at Baylor and in the end, it cost him because there is a right way and a wrong way to run a football program. He was winning, but he was winning the wrong way.

CBS Sports this morning on Baylor...Headline...

Baylor's existence as a Power Five school should be up for review

But the market can speak. Common human decency can speak. Baylor's had its chance to prove it is big time, not just on the field but off it, too. It succeeded mightily in that first charge. Will the ways in which it reached that level be forgotten in eight years?

Forget the current strife. One source told CBS Sports that NCAA enforcement has spent more time on the Baylor campus than any other Big 12 school.

"Really, I don't hear about anybody else [in the Big 12]," the source said.

Briles' departure will no doubt mean a dip in football fortunes. To that point, if Baylor doesn't do it, the NCAA should: Allow current players to transfer without penalty. None of this is the fault of the vast majority of players that have come through the program or are on the team now.

To its credit, the Baylor administration acknowledged the results of Pepper Hamilton's findings and acted by firing a coach who was largely responsible for consecutive Big 12 titles, a Heisman Trophy winner and a new state-of-the-art stadium.

But it's worth reviewing why Baylor is playing big-time sports to begin with. As in all things Texas, politics were involved. When the Big 12 was being formed around 1994, it helped that Baylor alum Ann Richards was the state's governor when the Southwest Conference was breaking up.

SPONSORED BY KELLEY BLUE BOOKDo what you do in styleCars that won’t cramp your lifestyle. Or your wallet. They’re out there. Get new smart car with the 10...

Baylor was basically nothing in football when it was thrown that lifeline by the Big 12. It continued to be nothing until Briles arrived in 2008. But at what cost?

Those TV contracts saved Baylor in 2010 and 2011 when Fox and ESPN agreed that a 10-team league including the Bears was worth saving. It's hard to believe that would be the same case today.

In fact, Big 12 expansion to places like Cincinnati and UConn suddenly looks a lot more appealing. Their morals have to be a notch or two above Baylor's, at least.

As for the ongoing problem of violence against women, this is not just a Baylor thing; it's everywhere. When are we going to not totally subject ourselves to a football coach's cult of personality? The most powerful of those are allowed to act with impunity.

Eighteen wheelers emblazoned with the school's logo in front of a recruit's house. Satellite camps in Australia. While none of that compares to ignoring sexual assault claims, it does remind of the unadulterated power we've given some of these guys.

Briles will find work again because Bobby Petrino found work again and because Jim Tressel found work again. Incredibly, Ohio State's former coach is the Youngstown State president while serving a five-year show cause order for lying to the NCAA.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-a-power-five-school-should-be-up-for-review/

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with Briles working again as long as he learned and can demonstrate he learned the proper amount of attention and action that sexual assault deserves. I am the father of two young daughters, and I am tired of seeing how the deck can often get stacked against girls when they aren't the people who bring money into an organization. If any of the victims were my daughter, I would have been pi$$ed about the situation. At the same time, I would want any disciplinary action to result in a change in people's attitude and behavior, not just a hardship on those responsible.

I wonder if the attitude towards Baylor was that it was a church affiliated school, so they would have taken this matter more seriously than they did.

I could be wrong but I think the player accused of rape was convicted, yet he was not disciplined by Briles and allowed to play after being charged with the crime, but obviously before his trial. He protected several players from the criminal justice system during his time at Baylor and in the end, it cost him because there is a right way and a wrong way to run a football program. He was winning, but he was winning the wrong way.
You are definitely wrong on all your points. Briles suspended Elliott days before his arrest. The transfer from Boise st was sitting out his transfer year when he committed his crime. Your other assumptions of Briles need some facts to support your claim. I have yet to read or hear a specific incident or fact that lead the law firm (paid by the board of regents) to reach conclusions that would lead to Briles firing.

Briles did not discipline his player over allegations. Is this fostering an atmosphere of apathy towards sexual assault? After what has happened at Duke (lacrosse), UofL (Chris Jones) UK (Tubman) it's clear coaches shouldn't discipline over allegations. It is not Art Briles job to investigate allegations. It should be Art Briles job to insure his players get the legal protections they deserve when accused of felonies. Of course, this only works in a society that believes people are innocent before proven guilty. Not so much on our Universities, however.

You are definitely wrong on all your points. Briles suspended Elliott days before his arrest. The transfer from Boise st was sitting out his transfer year when he committed his crime. Your other assumptions of Briles need some facts to support your claim. I have yet to read or hear a specific incident or fact that lead the law firm (paid by the board of regents) to reach conclusions that would lead to Briles firing.

Briles did not discipline his player over allegations. Is this fostering an atmosphere of apathy towards sexual assault? After what has happened at Duke (lacrosse), UofL (Chris Jones) UK (Tubman) it's clear coaches shouldn't discipline over allegations. It is not Art Briles job to investigate allegations. It should be Art Briles job to insure his players get the legal protections they deserve when accused of felonies. Of course, this only works in a society that believes people are innocent before proven guilty. Not so much on our Universities, however.
In my defense, I did start my post with "I could be wrong' because I wasn't 100% sure. I've only heard certain things 2nd and even 3rd hand regarding the atmosphere in Waco. Got a few friends who live in the area.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT