ADVERTISEMENT

Another ACC rip-off

In today’s dollars, we paid Grantham about $1.7 million almost a decade ago. Garrick McGee got around $1.1 million, inflation adjusted.

It’s not a debate whether a coach actually earned what he was paid. The issue is that we could pay it many years ago. Now, we have to settle or hope we get lucky.

(Odd how when you need luck, it seldom happens.)

In today’s dollars, we paid Grantham about $1.7 million almost a decade ago. Garrick McGee got around $1.1 million, inflation adjusted.

It’s not a debate whether a coach actually earned what he was paid. The issue is that we could pay it many years ago. Now, we have to settle or hope we get lucky.

So you want to pay English more lmao?

If you're going to debate Zipp then you need to get better ammunition and comprehension.
Why? He acts like Louisville fills a 100K stadium every home game. They don’t and is precisely why they don’t have the money of the schools that do. Ask Mr Zipp where that money he sees is at to pay these assistants 2 mil a year? He’s dreaming.

Actually performance does matter because that directly impacts what a business can pay for that position. It has even become more complicated with NIL spend.

Here is where I agree with money being invested. Louisville budget wise has to be in the ball park of Clemson/FSU in terms of NIL and Assistant coaches. Louisville made the ACC Championship on a mid tier budget which generated significant ROI. The problem is that probably isn’t sustainable. At some point your best coaches will get plucked.

Best I can tell they need an Assistant Coach budget of around 6M. They are currently at 4.4M. With at said UK-FSU-NC have a 6.5M-7M budget none paid off this year. Go look at various budgets they aren’t getting a ROI. People will be fired. Bottom line spending more doesn’t guarantee anything.

This a new world both player and coach budgets have to be wisely spent. I do trust if Brohm had a 6M assistant budget he would make good choices.

This is where the difference in TV money comes into play.

U of L in general has been known more for offense than defense, though we have had some good defensive players and some good defenses over the years, especially under Charlie. I think Coach English probably needs to go. They need someone who not only understands how to teach fundamentals and schemes but someone who can recruit that side of the ball. It’s not easy.
The Miami quarterback had an interesting comment on the Louisville defense in his post game comment. He said that the Louisville Defense "did not go crazy on third down but remained in their base defense". This may describe our defense problem as much as anything that has been said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT