ADVERTISEMENT

Anomaly Or Building Block?

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
The biggest question after the Texas game is whether it was an anomaly, rarely if ever to be repeated under Payne, or a building block that will be path to real improvement.

Payne has thought his teams have turned a corner before only to revert back to the same crappy play. How they do against IU today will be hugely telling.

Reactions: earsky
Texas is not good. They had very little shooting, terrible rebounding and that white guy is a huge liability but got a lucky rebound because Louisville lacks in the fundamentals department. Texas did have a starter out who is a power forward which they have need of one badly. I still think we will see that Texas is not that great this season. Time will tell.

The Texas game may be fools gold. That's why today's game is almost equally important. It's not saying much but I know last years team couldn't pull off a whole game like that. Of course is doesn't mean much if you still don't get wins.

Yesterday was the first time in who knows when that I saw a functional offense. Movement, screens, baseline cuts and ball movement. But we also had stretchs of sloppy basketball. That seemed to occur every time they tried to speed up the game or went to 1 on 1 basketball. Defensively they were not good and need to be able to stay in front of the ball. Should have won that game, no doubt. Going to require coaching though to eliminate the mistakes. Coaching is what will turn moral victories into wins. Today is going to let us know whether he can coach them over that hump. Talent wise they should beat Indiana. Coaching wise I have my doubts. I'd say this is the biggest game of kp's career as far as trying to instill the barest minimum of confidence in his ability to lead a team. Can he push them 2 games in a row? A moral victory today is just a loss to go with the 30 others.

Texas is a solid basketball team that shot well below their average from 3 yesterday. Cards shot the ball well and overall ran some of the best offense they have run in the KP era. They also responded and showed some resilience when things could have fallen apart after consecutive turnovers, blown defensive assignments and missed shots.

A very solid performance by the Cards yesterday. The Cards need to use this as a building block.

I’m looking forward to the IU game to see how they follow up their performance yesterday.

Texas is not good. They had very little shooting, terrible rebounding and that white guy is a huge liability but got a lucky rebound because Louisville lacks in the fundamentals department. Texas did have a starter out who is a power forward which they have need of one badly. I still think we will see that Texas is not that great this season. Time will tell.
What in the hell are you talking about? That big white guy was a huge liability? And got lucky?

Sedrick had 27 points, 7 rebounds, 3 steals and a blocked shot. He must be one hell of a lucky player?

There isn't a real and true Louisville fan who isn't ecstatic about the Cards performance yesterday. Even if it would have been against DePaul. That was the first time Louisville looked like a major college basketball team under KP.

Texas is more than good enough for this performance by Louisville to stand up to any scrutiny about how it happened. So what has to happen to make you happy, beating the #1 team in the country? I'm sure if Texas beats or loses a close game tonight against #5 Uconn, it will be due to it's lucky big white man who's a liability?

No one here should take anything you say seriously. It's obvious you're not a Louisville Cardinals fan.

What in the hell are you talking about? That big white guy was a huge liability? And got lucky?

Sedrick had 27 points, 7 rebounds, 3 steals and a blocked shot. He must be one hell of a lucky player?

There isn't a real and true Louisville fan who isn't ecstatic about the Cards performance yesterday. Even if it would have been against DePaul. That was the first time Louisville looked like a major college basketball team under KP.

Texas is more than good enough for this performance by Louisville to stand up to any scrutiny about how it happened. So what has to happen to make you happy, beating the #1 team in the country? I'm sure if Texas beats or loses a close game tonight against #5 Uconn, it will be due to it's lucky big white man who's a liability?

No one here should take anything you say seriously. It's obvious you're not a Louisville Cardinals fan.
I wasn’t talking about the center who came from UVA. I think I understand basketball enough to know who I talking about..do you?

To Payne's credit the team ran a couple of really good out of bounds plays to score. I didn't think KP was capable of that until yesterday.

And they played zone to change up defense for once.

I’m a real and true Cardinal fan that is not ecstatic about yesterday. Ecstatic about a loss? Is that how far this fan base has sunk?

Here is the problem their margin for error is ridiculously small. They don’t defend very well and they aren’t great offensively. Like last year the scoring droughts are compounded by the defense not getting stops. The IU game prime example missed shots and couldn’t get any stops. Bang down 10.

It is an impossible situation. They did play better and they don’t fall apart when things go bad but they still aren’t winning many games.

I know one thing after that Indiana loss, we have the talent, although young, that we would more likely than not be 5-0 at best and 4-1 at worst with almost any coach in America except Kragthorp or Cooper.

I know one thing after that Indiana loss, we have the talent, although young, that we would more likely than not be 5-0 at best and 4-1 at worst with almost any coach in America except Kragthorp or Cooper.
I feel bad for the players because they definitely have some talent and their coach is the thing holding them back the most.

I’m a real and true Cardinal fan that is not ecstatic about yesterday. Ecstatic about a loss? Is that how far this fan base has sunk?
Come on now, isn't that a bit disingenuous of you? Had that shot rimmed out at the buzzer and the Cards won, would there really be any difference in the perception on how Louisville played?

Cards were 17.5 underdogs against the 19th ranked Texas Longhorns and no one saw a 81 to 80 game.

I went into this weekend with dread and the likelihood I would turn the games off once the Cards got down 20. Today, I'm yes, ecstatic that this group of players proved they give a darn.

It's true however that they're being led by a unqualified head coach and will have to play even better to compensate for that. As bad as I want a different coach, I will always pull for this team to win and I will give them the respect they earn on the basketball court.

Reactions: SoulSr
I have not followed the UL basketball games, to my own detriment in terms of offering any actual opinion on their performance. I suppose just looking at the final scores, it is evident that despite KP’s coaching, the personnel must be improved over last season.

i watched some of St Joseph’s OT loss at UK, and once again it is evident that parity is alive and well in college basketball. Nothing will surprise me this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT