ADVERTISEMENT

ACC, Big12, BIG10 , AAC and the Sec has cancelled their tourneys

I am wondering if the entire tourney will be cancelled. Honestly, unless they have reason to believe someone playing or coaching has the virus, I don’t know why they would cancel any of the tourneys.

They just called it off.

With Florida State players warming up on the court in Greensboro ahead of the ACC Tournament, the Atlantic Coast Conference has made the call. Joining the Big Ten, Big 12, and SEC, the ACC has canceled the ACC Tournament due to the coronavirus.

They just called it off.
Wow. I thought this might happen. Probably for the best. Hope everyone stays healthy.

Looks like the season itself is going to be officially over because if these conference tournaments are getting shut down, then there is no way the NCAA tourney will be play either.

It was a good year. Sad to see it end like this.

I am wondering if the entire tourney will be cancelled. Honestly, unless they have reason to believe someone playing or coaching has the virus, I don’t know why they would cancel any of the tourneys.
Has to be. How can you play without knowing who the conference tourney winners are?

Season is over. It sucks, but health is more important so I understand.

Has to be. How can you play without knowing who the conference tourney winners are?

Season is over. It sucks, but health is more important so I understand.

Regular season winners would get the 31 auto bids.

You then select the 34 at large teams.

I thought they had decided to play the NCAA Tournament without fans? I think they will probably cancel it but that's the latest I heard about it.

Think about what you said. They don’t have the ability to test everyone right now so they are trying to eliminate the possibility of it being spread. Without people, any people, less opportunity for widespread exposure..

There won’t be a tournament but not because of what we think. The ACC was going to play it’s tournament until they found out one of the teams was not going to show up for its game. We all think these kids want to play the games but in reality Coaches and AD’s were getting calls from players and parents worried and unsure if they wanted to travel for the games. Maybe being over cautious but basketball is a game and life is life.

We assume that these athletes are healthy and have no underlying condition unknown that would make them susceptible to this illness causing them serious health issues. Assuming....you know the saying.

Think about what you said. They don’t have the ability to test everyone right now so they are trying to eliminate the possibility of it being spread. Without people, any people, less opportunity for widespread exposure..
I did think about what I wrote.

Unless they have reason to suspect someone has the virus; which does not need a test, just the proper screening, they can continue to play games.
As closely watched as these players are, that is not difficult to do.

Think about this, when somebody has a positive test, they first had to have been around someone with it. Next, they show signs that makes them suspect they have it. Then, they get tested for it, with results taking a day or longer. So, when you hear news that someone has tested positive for coronavirus, medical teams have already been checking, isolating and testing them as well as contacting those who were around them before the positive test was announced.

Last edited:

Unless they have reason to suspect someone has the virus; which does not need a test, just the proper screening, they can continue to play games.

Think about this, when somebody has a positive test, they first had to have been around someone with it. Next, they show signs that makes them suspect they have it. Then, they get tested for it, with results taking a day or longer. So, when you hear news that someone has tested positive for coronavirus, medical teams have already been checking, isolating and testing them as well as contacting those who were around them before the positive test was announced.
And, yes, I am a medical professional with access to accurate information about this and other viruses.
While I understand why people are being extremely cautious, even overly cautious, I don’t advocate putting life on hold.
Think about this. They play the games. Teams go home. 3 players from one team got the virus, now spread to entire team, campus, family members, etc. You’re first sentence says “unless they suspect” In a new case like this you assume everyone is a potential risk, which is maybe overreacting but does totally eliminate the scenario I just described.

And, yes, I am a medical professional with access to accurate information about this and other viruses.
While I understand why people are being extremely cautious, even overly cautious, I don’t advocate putting life on hold.
Also this is something I didn’t anticipate either. The ACC commissioner indicated that at least one team did not want to travel to play the games for risk of getting infected...

He!! The mailman came to my door with a pkg too large for the box. We had a March Madnessless conversation a few feet away. But after I put down the pkg, I washed my hands, opened the box and unloaded, washed my hands, put the product in the cabinet and then washed my hands again.

After this experience, virus spreads like the seasonal flu should be minimal in the future if we all continue hand washing crazy. I’m buying stock in hand soap and hand lotions. My hands are chapped and dry.:cool:

He!! The mailman came to my door with a pkg too large for the box. We had a March Madnessless conversation a few feet away. But after I put down the pkg, I washed my hands, opened the box and unloaded, washed my hands, put the product in the cabinet and then washed my hands again.

After this experience, virus spreads like the seasonal flu should be minimal in the future if we all continue hand washing crazy. I’m buying stock in hand soap and hand lotions. My hands are chapped and dry.:cool:
I hope you were at least 6 feet away or else you were still at risk...

Reactions: PHCARD
I hope you were at least 6 feet away or else you were still at risk...

Hey, I wasn’t writing about my hazmat suit, goggles and mask. :eek: I’m trying to replace stress(immune suppression) with a laugh(stress relievers). :D

Reactions: nccardfan
Think about this. They play the games. Teams go home. 3 players from one team got the virus, now spread to entire team, campus, family members, etc. You’re first sentence says “unless they suspect” In a new case like this you assume everyone is a potential risk, which is maybe overreacting but does totally eliminate the scenario I just described.
Screened properly, you can avoid this scenario.

I will concede this point; in the multi-million dollar world of the NCAA Tournament, you cannot count on it being done properly. A little fudging with a star player could be all it takes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT