ADVERTISEMENT

AAC.

SchmidtyNole

5000+
Feb 19, 2007
Memphis beat Ole Miss yesterday. Temple beat Penn State earlier. Cincy beat the U. ECU beat Va Tech. Houston beat you guys. There is no doubt that conference is getting better and is by far the best of the G5. How do you see the AAC moving forward? Can they make it a Power 6 instead of Power 5? Or will they be the type of conference that has some good teams and then sends their better coaches on to Power 5 schools?
It would take time to change perception. Memphis is a good team. Imagine the dilemna the SEC had if Ole Miss runs the table and wins the SEC?

Memphis will be junk when Fuentes leaves because they don't have the infrastructure in place to have long term success. Same goes for Temple. On the other hand Houston and Cincy have better Power 5 bonafides than schools such as Wake Forest, Rutgers, UK, WashSt

Knucklehank1, you may want to research your bad info there. Memphis has invested quite a bit in football lately and is starting construction on brand new facilities for both football and basketball. Remember...you guys had trouble keeping coaches early in your CUSA/Big East success too. It wasn't one coach that kept you guys going. You had multiple successful coaches. Memphis could do the same. Memphis finally has both a president & athletic director that actually gets it.

Reactions: American Male
I respect what all those teams mentioned are doing. They have clearly made their statements and will have opportunities in bowls to do it again.

Coaching changes offer challenges for the future, or at least some fair questions. But that said, why look so far ahead all the time and not just live in the now.

I respect what all those teams mentioned are doing. They have clearly made their statements and will have opportunities in bowls to do it again.

Coaching changes offer challenges for the future, or at least some fair questions. But that said, why look so far ahead all the time and not just live in the now.

Agree! Just keep hearing how Memphis will fall back to the bottom once Fuente leaves as if we don't have any chance of replacing him with anyone decent. But he isn't gone yet and no guarantee he will leave (yes I'm drinking the koolaid on that one lol).

Knucklehank1, you may want to research your bad info there. Memphis has invested quite a bit in football lately and is starting construction on brand new facilities for both football and basketball. Remember...you guys had trouble keeping coaches early in your CUSA/Big East success too. It wasn't one coach that kept you guys going. You had multiple successful coaches. Memphis could do the same. Memphis finally has both a president & athletic director that actually gets it.

As long as you guys are playing in the old Liberty Bowl stadium then you will not have shown a real commitment to football. That place is as bad as UofL's old Cardinal Stadium. As far as I know there are just very preliminary talks about a new stadium. Averaging less than 30k in attendance and playing in that stadium are big impediments to any sustained success.

Memphis has not made a commitment to football since Spook Murphy left the program in the early 70's. Having a good coach now like Fuentes (who will leave after this season) is not a commitment. Memphis has made more bad descions regarding their athletic programs than good ones.
Talking about spending money on athletics and actually spending money on athletics is 2 different things. Right now all the money Memphis generates in sports goes the the general fund and very little is spent on athletics. If Memphis really is serious about athletics they would keep their athletic department separate from their university. they would keep all the money the sports generate and invest it to grow their athletic program and Thea's not going to happen.

It's fun to see non-traditional teams doing well. Louisville isn't considered a traditional power school, so even though we're now in a league with the big boys, I still enjoy seeing upstart programs causing trouble for the big money guys.

When you look at the Top 25, there are so many teams that you'd never have given a second thought to 20 years ago. Baylor, Utah, TCU, Memphis, Toledo, Houston, Temple, all doing well. Even as the power teams try to close the doors, these other schools will still have to be reckoned with on the field. Looking forward to seeing some of these schools make some noise in Bowl season.

Reactions: American Male
Memphis reminds me of us back in 2005. They had a new young coach and an under the recruiting radar QB (think LeFors). They are turning into media darlings, especially with the win against Ole Miss. They struck gold with Paxton Lynch, but there is no guarantee the next guy will be as good as this diamond in the rough.
Lots of programs came after our coach then, and a lot will come after Fuente with more money, better facilities, more exposure, bigger bowl games, etc. In fact, if you look on Memphis' rivals site, there is already a posting, and not in the message boards, about who will replace him. It is subscribers only, so I couldn't read it, but I don't think Bobby Petrino is on it.

The TRUTH of the matter is...Teams like Cincinnati, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, Southern Miss, Temple etc...COULD compete at the P5 level with the benefits (Exposure, Money etc...), those conferences would give them. Hell, East Carolina has facilities and Fan Support that EQUALS or SURPASSES Kentucky, Vanderbilt and the Mississippi Schools of the Almighty Send Em Cash Conference!!!

ALL of the aformentioned schools are in Good to Great Recruiting area's, but most of 3-5* recriuts want to play in P5 Conferences like the ACC, BIG, Big-12 and SEC.

When the Big-12 FOLDS...And it WILL...The AAC and MWC will be fighting to replace them! We're going to 4 MAJOR 16 Team P5 Conferences...The PAC...Being ANTI Military and ANTI Relegious...Will Poach one of the Kansas(St), and Oklahoma(St) Schools as well as Iowa State and Texas Tech.

The Big Will take the other Kansas and Oklahoma School, while the SEC Will take West Virginia...And if they had ANY sense, East Carolina...The gives them a Home in North Carolina...Or Houston to balance out the East and West Divisions...Baylor and TCU...And MAYBE, BYU...Are headed to the MWC!!!

The ACC Will offer Texas the SAME Deal that Notre Dame has until they HAVE to join Full Time...Or both WILL go Independent...And MAYBE, BYU. If that happens, the ACC will invite Cincinnati and either Connecticut or Temple...ALL three of the schools bring a Good Size Metro Area...AND, Basketball HISTORY...Hey...The ACC is STILL ran by Tabaco Road!!!

I see a future where there are Four 16 Team P5 Conferences: ACC, BIG, PAC and SEC...And Four 16 Team G5 Conferences: AAC, CUSA, MAC and MWC (SORRY Sun Belt, it's FCS for you...Thats where you belong ANYWAY)...They play each other OOC but have Seperate Playoffffs...Using the Bowl System, to Determine a National Champion...The teams ABOVE .500, that don't make the Playoffs in each division STILL play in Bowl Games.

The P5 Playoff Bowls are: Rose (BIG vs. PAC...Hey, it's TRADITION), and Sugar (ACC vs. SEC...It's Bragging Rights), with the Championship Game played at Jerry's World. The G5 Playoff Bowls are: Fiesta (MWC vs. Rotate CUSA and the MAC), and the Orange (AAC vs Rotate CUSA and the MAC), with the Championship Game played at Jerry's World...The week BEFORE the P5 Title Game.

Notre Dame and Texas...And MAYBE, BYU...Get left out...HEY...You wanted INDEPENDENCE...You GOT it!!!

:cool:

Last edited:
Memphis beat Ole Miss yesterday. Temple beat Penn State earlier. Cincy beat the U. ECU beat Va Tech. Houston beat you guys. There is no doubt that conference is getting better and is by far the best of the G5. How do you see the AAC moving forward? Can they make it a Power 6 instead of Power 5? Or will they be the type of conference that has some good teams and then sends their better coaches on to Power 5 schools?
It would take time to change perception. Memphis is a good team. Imagine the dilemna the SEC had if Ole Miss runs the table and wins the SEC?

The rise and fall of specific teams aside - the Big East / AAC was always "better" than the snobbery of teams from other conferences would lead a new arrival to Earth to believe. Always. Which is why I get annoyed if I hear a U of L fan utter the word "mid-major." Really? Perception is and always was crap. Nearly half the ACC football teams were formerly Big East teams anyway. Sigh.

The PAC...Being ANTI Military and ANTI Relegious...Will Poach one of the Kansas(St), and Oklahoma(St) Schools as well as Iowa State and Texas Tech.

^^No idea what that is supposed to mean. Doesn't make sense. One thing this post does do is remind me why I'll never miss realignment posts.

Memphis is already breaking ground on new Pratice facilities for basketball and football including an IPF. We are doing just fine positioning ourselves for the next move. AD Bowen and President Rudd are what this school has been missing in leadership.

Problem: the rest of their conference is dreck. They have issues in top-to-bottom competitiveness. Memphis and Houston should move up to the B12. That's hard for me to say, because I hate Memphis State.

Problem: the rest of their conference is dreck. They have issues in top-to-bottom competitiveness. Memphis and Houston should move up to the B12. That's hard for me to say, because I hate Memphis State.

So does every conference, most notably relevant, the ACC. When these discussions start, most of us slice from the top of the deck.

Reactions: 65bird
It is wait and see for me in regards to Memphis they are 25 years behind in regards to upgrades. Louisville started upgrading in the mid 80's Memphis is just starting. I do think if Memphis can sustain a football program and upgrade all their other athletics the Big 12 could eventually call. This is a big if since Memphis in any sport other than football.

This is a big if since Memphis is not ranked in any sport other than football and their football success could change next year. I also don't think Memphis is in the same position UL was in when CBP left UL. Louisville was in the Big East when that happened a more attractive conference than the AAC.

I do think Memphis had a good team last year and they have a good team this year. The test will be will they have a good team for 5 years back to back.

^^No idea what that is supposed to mean. Doesn't make sense. One thing this post does do is remind me why I'll never miss realignment posts.

You REALLY DON'T Understand the PAC being ANTI Military and ANTI Religious!?

It's SIMPLE...They're VERY Liberal and HATE Anything and Everything to do, with people or institutions that have a Military or Religious Foundation...That LEAVES OUT Air Force, Army, Navy, Baylor, BYU and TCU as Expansion Targets for the PAC...They'll play those type teams...BUT...They DON'T want to be associated with them as Conference Members!!!

It's SIMPLE...They're VERY Liberal and HATE Anything and Everything to do, with people or institutions that have a Military or Religious Foundation...That LEAVES OUT Air Force, Army, Navy, Baylor, BYU and TCU as Expansion Targets for the PAC...They'll play those type teams...BUT...They DON'T want to be associated with them as Conference Members!!!

What about ND, SMU, BC, WF, Duke and the likes as well?

What about ND, SMU, BC, WF, Duke and the likes as well?

The TRUTH of the matter is...Teams like Cincinnati, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, Southern Miss, Temple etc...COULD compete at the P5 level with the benefits (Exposure, Money etc...), those conferences would give them. Hell, East Carolina has facilities and Fan Support that EQUALS or SURPASSES Kentucky, Vanderbilt and the Mississippi Schools of the Almighty Send Em Cash Conference!!!

ALL of the aformentioned schools are in Good to Great Recruiting area's, but most of 3-5* recriuts want to play in P5 Conferences like the ACC, BIG, Big-12 and SEC.

When the Big-12 FOLDS...And it WILL...The AAC and MWC will be fighting to replace them! We're going to 4 MAJOR 16 Team P5 Conferences...The PAC...Being ANTI Military and ANTI Relegious...Will Poach one of the Kansas(St), and Oklahoma(St) Schools as well as Iowa State and Texas Tech.

The Big Will take the other Kansas and Oklahoma School, while the SEC Will take West Virginia...And if they had ANY sense, East Carolina...The gives them a Home in North Carolina...Or Houston to balance out the East and West Divisions...Baylor and TCU...And MAYBE, BYU...Are headed to the MWC!!!

The ACC Will offer Texas the SAME Deal that Notre Dame has until they HAVE to join Full Time...Or both WILL go Independent...And MAYBE, BYU. If that happens, the ACC will invite Cincinnati and either Connecticut or Temple...ALL three of the schools bring a Good Size Metro Area...AND, Basketball HISTORY...Hey...The ACC is STILL ran by Tabaco Road!!!

I see a future where there are Four 16 Team P5 Conferences: ACC, BIG, PAC and SEC...And Four 16 Team G5 Conferences: AAC, CUSA, MAC and MWC (SORRY Sun Belt, it's FCS for you...Thats where you belong ANYWAY)...They play each other OOC but have Seperate Playoffffs...Using the Bowl System, to Determine a National Champion...The teams ABOVE .500, that don't make the Playoffs in each division STILL play in Bowl Games.

The P5 Playoff Bowls are: Rose (BIG vs. PAC...Hey, it's TRADITION), and Sugar (ACC vs. SEC...It's Bragging Rights), with the Championship Game played at Jerry's World. The G5 Playoff Bowls are: Fiesta (MWC vs. Rotate CUSA and the MAC), and the Orange (AAC vs Rotate CUSA and the MAC), with the Championship Game played at Jerry's World...The week BEFORE the P5 Title Game.

Notre Dame and Texas...And MAYBE, BYU...Get left out...HEY...You wanted INDEPENDENCE...You GOT it!!!

I will bet you every dollar I've ever earned and ever will earn that East Carolina will not end up in the SEC. That is lunacy talk, to put it kindly. Their "excellent" fan support is extraordinarily over-hyped and misrepresented. Did you watch them last night? Thursday night game against a ranked, undefeated in-conference opponent, and they maybe had 30,000 people there. Furthermore, ECU does not bring a conference "the state of North Carolina." It brings them 3 counties in Eastern North Carolina.

I do agree that the ACC may offer Texas the same deal ND has currently.

This is a big if since Memphis is not ranked in any sport other than football and their football success could change next year. I also don't think Memphis is in the same position UL was in when CBP left UL. Louisville was in the Big East when that happened a more attractive conference than the AAC.

I do think Memphis had a good team last year and they have a good team this year. The test will be will they have a good team for 5 years back to back.
They had a good team the last year we were in the AAC and we barely escaped with a home victory. IMO, 4 schools are left out their competing for two spots in the B12, Memphis, Cincinnati, Houston and BYU. Not sure of what else BYU needs to do, but the other 3 are in a building race at this time. Better late than never for their fans.

Several thoughts on it actually now that you've clarified.

Firstly, you're over-generalizing. California is the state that gave us both Nixon and Reagan (not to mention Darrell Issa, Dana Rothenberger, and many other fine conservatives. It's more complicated than you're letting on. USC is a fairly conservative school.

Also, it's kind of beside the point to go there since the AFA isn't competitive in football on a level that would justify P5 membership(not to mention basketball and the other several dozen sports that the pac 12 offers) ...so is this really about you sneaking in politics onto a football forum where it doesn't belong? I get enough of that elsewhere and it's actually a violation of this forum's rules so let it be. As for religious schools, I believe they would've taken BYU had BYU been open to it. Not sure who else you think would be an eligible "religious" school in a viable geographic range. It's all so boring. Maybe there will be only 4 Power conferences, maybe not. I'm not so sure, but the reason the Pac 12 wanted Texas was $$$ money $$$ and that is what TCU and SMU and other geographically inappropriate schools LACK. It has zero to do with ideology.

I will bet you every dollar I've ever earned and ever will earn that East Carolina will not end up in the SEC. That is lunacy talk, to put it kindly. Their "excellent" fan support is extraordinarily over-hyped and misrepresented. Did you watch them last night? Thursday night game against a ranked, undefeated in-conference opponent, and they maybe had 30,000 people there. Furthermore, ECU does not bring a conference "the state of North Carolina." It brings them 3 counties in Eastern North Carolina.

I do agree that the ACC may offer Texas the same deal ND has currently.

DUDE...I DIDN'T say that ECU WOULD end up in the SEC...I said that if the SEC had ANY sense they'd invite ECU because they want in the NC Market...Thats the ONLY way they get into it...The Devils and Heels DON'T want ANYTHING to do with the SEC...And the SEC WILL NOT take Vandy Twin...Wake Forest...NC State is the ONLY wildcard from the ACC and NC that could end up in the SEC!!!

ECU also has more fans than you give them credit for...It's NOT a UNC size fanbase, but they do have fans throughout the State of North Carolina, as well as fans in Virginia, and South Carolina! I'll bet ALL your money Before-Now-Forever, that the ECU Football Fanbase is BIGGER than Vandy's, and on par with the SEC Mississippi Schools!

There are also Appay St., Duke, NCSt., UNC and Wake Forest Fans that are ECU Fans as well...Just like there ECU Fans that are fans of those schools...To think otherwise is FOOLISHNESS...Take off your Carolina Blue Glassses and look at the world through the LIVING COLOR SPECTRUM!!!

I'd rather Air Force, Army, BYU, Navy, Notre Dame and Texas ALL become independents...That way NOBODY has to put up with BYU's, ND's and Texas Better Than Thou BS...Let them have their own networks...They can play each other and fill out their schedules with other G5-P5 teams...If one of them DESERVES a place in the EVENTUAL 8 Team P5 Playoff...So be it!!!

The ACC would be BETTER OFF inviting two of three between Cincinnati, Connecticut and Temple to get to 16 teams...At least those teams WOLUD be HAPPY and HUMBLE...Just like Louisville...To be a part of the ACC!!!

Several thoughts on it actually now that you've clarified.

Firstly, you're over-generalizing. California is the state that gave us both Nixon and Reagan (not to mention Darrell Issa, Dana Rothenberger, and many other fine conservatives. It's more complicated than you're letting on. USC is a fairly conservative school.

Also, it's kind of beside the point to go there since the AFA isn't competitive in football on a level that would justify P5 membership(not to mention basketball and the other several dozen sports that the pac 12 offers) ...so is this really about you sneaking in politics onto a football forum where it doesn't belong? I get enough of that elsewhere and it's actually a violation of this forum's rules so let it be. As for religious schools, I believe they would've taken BYU had BYU been open to it. Not sure who else you think would be an eligible "religious" school in a viable geographic range. It's all so boring. Maybe there will be only 4 Power conferences, maybe not. I'm not so sure, but the reason the Pac 12 wanted Texas was $$$ money $$$ and that is what TCU and SMU and other geographically inappropriate schools LACK. It has zero to do with ideology.

Cal, Stanford and UCLA are Liberal Strongholds...USC is a 50-50 split...And ALL vote as a block in a Political Way...You NEED to spend some time on their respective forums as well as the National Forum to interact with them to know their thought process!!! California also gave us Nancy..."We have to pass it to see whats in it"...Pelosse, Diann Fienstien, Jerry Brown etc...

Oregon and Washington are VERY Liberal Schools...And they vote that way as well!!! Colorado is becoming Liberal Leaning due to the influx of people from Califorina, Oregon and Washington!!! The Arizona Schools, Oregon State, Washington State and Utah are more conservative politically.

The AFA has been competitive in football for over 25 years...Army on the other hand...NOT so much. I didn't bring politics to this forum...I brought FACTS...You LOOKED at it thru political glasses!!! BYU has NEVER been, and NEVER WILL BE an option for the PAC...Cal, Stanford, Oregon and Washington...As a Minimum...WILL see to that...Just go to their boards or the National Forum and ask them!!!

The PAC wants in Texas for the TV Sets and Recruiting...They get that with Texas Tech...They DON'T NEED Texas!!!

You need to get out of Cards Sports Nation more...You're a wee bit too ALLS Well with EVERYTHING!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT