ADVERTISEMENT

A night game in Death Valley and the Cards are +10.5.

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
Not ideal. However, if you take a deeper look into the numbers, Clemson's advantage isn't all that noteworthy. They have the 53rd ranked defense. The Cards are 62. Clemson's D allows 348 YPG. The Cards, 359. Clemson gives up 23 PPG. UofL, almost 25. On the offensive side of things, the gap widens a little. Clemson's offense is ranked 5th. UofL is ranked 15th. Clemson puts up 490 YPG. UofL produces 460 YPG. Clemson scores 42 PPG. UofL averages 37 PPG.

Obviously, home field plays a significant role here. Clemson is certainly a little better. I look for a high scoring game. It will take a near mistake free performance by UofL to get the win. It can be done. Brohm owes us a big game this year, which he's typically good for. The Cards also showed a lot of grit last game. Hopefully, that momentum carries on to this Saturday.

ESPN's matchup predictor has this at Clemson 77%, UofL 33%. Sounds about right.

Last edited:
There was some analysis regarding who each team has faced. UofL’s overall schedule is significantly tougher, with three close losses vs Clemson’s 1 blowout loss (albeit close for a half). I think it’s about 60/40 given those facts.

Reactions: CardX
For the most part, Clemson has been outstanding against their opponents running game, and those “3 and outs” result in a lot more offensive opportunities and points for the Tigers. Assuming Clemson defense is successful limiting our ability to run the ball (something that Clemson has does quite effectively), Jeff needs to put aside his natural instincts towards staying with a balanced offense, and focus on our passing game. I do not see us having success running against Clemson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT