ADVERTISEMENT

A few game thoughts

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
- not sure why we even played the game
- Carlik is a great player and perhaps an even better leader
- Too much dribbling
- playing solid defense takes effort, communication and attention to detail - our guys had neither
- lack of leadership on the floor today which is concerning as it pertains to DJ
- Igiehon has a LONG way to go. The game doesn’t click with him right now
- lots of things to learn from

Last edited:
Reactions: Deeva
- not sure why we even played the game
- Carlik is a great player and perhaps an even better leader
- Too much dribbling
- playing solid defense takes effort and attention to detail - our guys had neither
- lack of leadership on the floor today which is concerning as it pertains to DJ
- Igiehon has a LONG way to go. The game doesn’t click with him right now
- lots of things to learn from
Is that our U of L sports response now? If we lose, we shouldn’t have played the game? What happened to next man up? We were down Jones but we had Sam back. The other guys we knew were out. The positives were that JJ, Slaz, Gabe got valuable minutes. Davis didn’t show up against quality competition. Also for me, it convinced me that Jones has to be the PG and DJ the 2, unless Jones gets in foul trouble. We also need Nickleberry for guard depth. Not sure what to think about Igiehorn other than he has ample time to earn some playing time.

Reactions: rh62531
Is that our U of L sports response now? If we lose, we shouldn’t have played the game? What happened to next man up? We were down Jones but we had Sam back. The other guys we knew were out. The positives were that JJ, Slaz, Gabe got valuable minutes. Davis didn’t show up against quality competition. Also for me, it convinced me that Jones has to be the PG and DJ the 2, unless Jones gets in foul trouble. We also need Nickleberry for guard depth. Not sure what to think about Igiehorn other than he has ample time to earn some playing time.

In all fairness to Sam? How long has he been out? Injury, then Covid, I believe. The rest of the guys were out what 3 weeks? It will take some time getting their legs and whatever else they lack from the circumstances. See I’m still trying to see the light. I truly don’t feel I’m making excuses. Real world folks. But getting your butt kicked sucks. I know what the best medicine would help the fan base.

Reactions: Mayoman and Deeva

I don’t think we should’ve played the game because we didn’t have a roster that was physically ready to play. Recovering from a bad respiratory virus can take awhile. Next man up is a nice slogan for high school football.

When you only have 7 Scholarship players there isn't a big line to be next man up.

In all fairness to Sam? How long has he been out? Injury, then Covid, I believe. The rest of the guys were out what 3 weeks? It will take some time getting their legs and whatever else they lack from the circumstances. See I’m still trying to see the light. I truly don’t feel I’m making excuses. Real world folks. But getting your butt kicked sucks. I know what the best medicine would help the fan base.
I agree. In all fairness to the team? They haven’t played for 18 days and had very little practice.

Reactions: PHCARD and Deeva
Well this was far from a ordinary situation. Had we got our butts kicked in a normal year I would never advocate not playing. But this team was rolling until they were hit with COVID. They haven’t played for 18 days, have had very little practices as a team. So the reality of the situation is we were not in a position to play and be successful. What we gained from this? Can’t say we did gain much. It would have been nice to start with a lesser team. But it is what it is. Will see how we do with Pitt.

December non conference game against a higher ranked opponent. It sucks to lose. It sucks more in February and March.

When we first had the game against Wisconsin and then NC State cancelled, fans were crying we got to play someone, we can’t get ready for UK game without playing a game. We got our wish and now we’re crying because we played. Mack obviously knew that Jones was going to be questionable and I’m sure our coaches made the decision to play. Can’t have it both ways.

Reactions: zipp and Deeva
Wisconsin is a really good team and an old team, how did they end up with that many players in that age group? With all the players we had out and with the lack of practice it was crazy to think we could compete with them. I didn’t mind playing the game and I don’t mind losing Injust wish it was a better performance for us. I think this is going to be a growing year for us where we are getting ready for the future.
We need more experience and more muscle to compete at this level I think we will be a contender in a couple of years but as of now we have a ways to go.

The season is just a glaze, a reflection of life in general right now. Guys projected to play under 10 MPG are getting a ton of run. All the FR will benefit from the chance to play, we just may not see the results from them until later in the year or even another year.

And yeah how are practices going with 7-8 guys?

Until we get healthy, it’s not a good team.

But, with Williams, Jones, Mineland, and Nickelberry back its a much better team

Hard to win with a long break and without 4 scholarship players.

Some guys set the bar low. I always expect us to win. Sometimes I get disappointed but I always have high hopes for my Cards! I just don’t look at them as life or death anymore.

Reactions: coachsales
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT