ADVERTISEMENT

7'1" Center- Dennis Evans

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Of course Crystal Ball predictions don't mean anything unless Cards actually sign the guy.

Evans might be the rim protector the Cards have really needed. Appears he can shoot and handle the ball decently as well. But I agree he is very thin.

The under-weighted JJ has proven to be no problem; as he has shown moments where he looks a little bit like Tayshaun Prince out there. Evans’ 80” wing spread may not need much more weight if he can use that size as a prolific shot blocker.

This could save KP’s job here.

He is exactly what KP wants from a basketball point of view. He is a modern big. He is a face the basket type of player and plays in space banging isn’t critical on the offensive.

Defensively his weight may cause issue but at 7-1 and his length it may not matter. Hard to project if he instinctively knows how to play defense.

As fans we all question whether KP can coach. Players are no different. He needs 1-2 guys high profile HS or transfers that come and kill it. At that point recruiting will start getting better and better.

We will see if he can close deal.

I don't know how he immediately became a UofL lean I guess that's a rumor thing. The more places he visits the more difficult it gets to get him, so hopefully the Cards can get him signed. There is no resistance at the rim on this year's team he'd hopefully be able to help with that if he decides to come here.

Reactions: shadow force
one Minnesota bball fan said he was their biggest prospect in 20 years.
he averaged a double double with 6 blocks in high school. he was looking at Louisville in June/July.
perhaps he spoke with KP then?

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
Have to start somewhere. If the coach isn't going, players must go to make room for ones not broken beyond repair by being here this year or the last even three years. Payne isn't winning with normal talent. Same problem he has from where he learned to coach. Elite talent, and lots of it, or chalk it up failure.

The NBA system only works with lots of NBA talent. That's where we are, and if we don't get this guy and hit it big in the portal, it's another sub .500 year, if Payne doesn't get fired during the season.

Any idea on when he’ll announce his commitment to whatever school he’ll be attending?

Evans is a 2023 recruit, not a portal transfer. I expect he will announce his verbal commitment within a few days after his visit, and then he’ll sign his letter of intent on April 12th.

Reactions: bigloucards
If Payne gets Evans it will help a little with the confidence that Payne and staff can actually recruit.

This off season and recruiting class is make or break for Payne. Get some big time talent to sign, fill positions of need, and form a cohesive and complete team and he might have a tiny chance of success. Strike out in recruiting in the portal and HS seniors and he's toast.

even though Evans is not a transfer, we will hear more about recruiting once the transfer portal opens. ACC tourney is this week, so it's busy. we should know more about the Churchill Abass situation also.

There is nothing KP can do other than win games next year. It doesn’t matter if he finds legit players that fill key spots almost everyone will say let’s see what he does with it which is fair.

With that said landing a 2023 5 Star at this point would be a win for KP let’s not act like it wouldn’t be.

Last edited:
There is nothing KP can do other than win games next year. It doesn’t matter if he finds legit players that fill key spots almost everyone will say let’s see what he does with it which is fair.

With that said landing a 2023 5 Star at this point is a win for KP let’s not act like it wouldn’t be.
Aaaaand, let's not leave out the part where K Pain doesn't even have him signed yet..

After listening to Pain’s radio show last night I’m even less assured hie can get the players we needs. Still keeps talking about takers and his hypothetical players who are dreamers and who agree with his view on what a great player should be. I just do not believe that he is selling the right message to any recruit.

• Haha
Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
Here is what I heard. He wants kids that are skilled, that have good character, come from a good family, and want to compete at the highest level. Is that a unicorn these days I don’t know but to me that is what you want in any program. I will go back the him passing on Bates. He didn’t like his posse so he passed.

You also get have a good feel for who he likes on the current team. He loves Mike James and Okafor. That is what he is looking for in terms of character.

You CAN NOT even be serious..

Danny Manning is dead weight. And besides, I thought K Pain was the big man whisperer ? Then again after what we've all seen this season we know that was also a joke..
Say what you want, he has a track record with bigs:
Manning became a key component of the Jayhawks coaching staff, filling vital roles in both recruiting and his work training the team's big men. In his role as KU assistant coach, Manning worked with the Jayhawk big men and earned a reputation as one of the best coaches of big men in the country. He coached 12 NBA draft picks, including eight first-round selections. Kansas bigs among those NBA draft picks during his tenure included Darrell Arthur, Darnell Jackson, Sasha Kaun, Cole Aldrich, twins Marcus Morris and Markieff Morris, Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey. Manning recruited two McDonald's High School All-Americans, including the 2010 NBA first-round draft pick and Oklahoman Xavier Henry. He also coached two Academic All-Americans – Cole Aldrich and Tyrel Reed. Aldrich was selected as the 2010 Academic All-America of the Year for men's basketball. He spent a total of nine years on the staff at Kansas and was part of one NCAA national title, two Final Fours, five NCAA Elite Eight appearances, eight Big 12 regular-season conference titles, five Big 12 tournament championships, and 269 career victories

Reactions: 2330859
Manning became a key component of the Jayhawks coaching staff, filling vital roles in both recruiting and his work training the team's big men. In his role as KU assistant coach, Manning worked with the Jayhawk big men and earned a reputation as one of the best coaches of big men in the country. He coached 12 NBA draft picks, including eight first-round selections. Kansas bigs among those NBA draft picks during his tenure included Darrell Arthur, Darnell Jackson, Sasha Kaun, Cole Aldrich, twins Marcus Morris and Markieff Morris, Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey. Manning recruited two McDonald's High School All-Americans, including the 2010 NBA first-round draft pick and Oklahoman Xavier Henry. He also coached two Academic All-Americans – Cole Aldrich and Tyrel Reed. Aldrich was selected as the 2010 Academic All-America of the Year for men's basketball. He spent a total of nine years on the staff at Kansas and was part of one NCAA national title, two Final Fours, five NCAA Elite Eight appearances, eight Big 12 regular-season conference titles, five Big 12 tournament championships, and 269 career victories
Someone knows how to copy and paste straight from Wikipedia 😂!
Everyone you listed were 5star or high 4 star recruit, and are all NBA busts.

So he was on the coaching staff during that stretch, who knows what his impact really was..

Claiming the academic all American is funny. Was he tutoring him in biology in his off time.. 😆

• Haha
Reactions: BPGhost
Yawn.

No one gives two shits what he did as 2nd or 3rd chair at ku. His performance this year certainly looks more like his tenure at GT. Current job performance either gets you promoted, retained or canned. Nothing in his performance suggests retaining him is the correct option.

P.S. What Bigloucards said.

Assigning assistant coach Danny Manning responsibility for the failures of Kenny Payne are misguided; KP is the HC and there is absolutely no evidence that Kenny transferred his responsibilities for player development to Danny. As Lawson stated quite accurately, as an assistant at KU, Manning and Kansas were most effective with big men.

It is comical Louisville is trending on a recruit that would be the 2nd highest recruit of all time and fans are basically telling him to go elsewhere.

Because he's a project player, incredibly raw, under weight and won't save Keeeeny's job.
I am struggling to see what you saw?
He was 7'1" and very agile... (Not Felton Spencer plodding). Maybe I was watching different video than you, when I saw him doing step-back 3-pointers and cross over dribble drives to the rack...
Withers was a project... in that he needed to put on weight for college...
Rick had SEVERAL projects, A. Mohammad, Matz, etc. Guys who either needed to put on weight, or learn the post "The Rick Way". Padget was one of the few guys who came in and played from Day 1, as a starter under Pitino. Samuels was another. Palacios, another.
This guy is not as big of a project as you make him out to be. He would not be a 5-star on some sites if he was.

Assigning assistant coach Danny Manning responsibility for the failures of Kenny Payne are misguided; KP is the HC and there is absolutely no evidence that Kenny transferred his responsibilities for player development to Danny. As Lawson stated quite accurately, as an assistant at KU, Manning and Kansas were most effective with big men.
I’m not seeing anyone assigning blame on D.Manning for Paynes failure. I just think he’s dead weight. It’s not because of what he is alleged to accomplish at Kansas and their big man busts, but he’s not the reason why Evans would come here.
KPayne failures are assigned to him and that’s quite accurate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT