ADVERTISEMENT

5th Year Transfer Tony Hicks

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Talks about his official visit to UofL.

Hicks, a 6-foot-2 guard from Chicago, took in Louisville's 71-65 win over second-ranked North Carolina on Monday night at the KFC Yum! Center with his mom.

"I was pretty surprised at the Wake Forest game," said Hicks, who made an unofficial, one-day visit to U of L back on Jan. 3. "But (assistant coach Kenny Johnson) kept saying, 'Wait until you come back.' He was right. It definitely lived up to my expectations."

Louisville had three open scholarships for the 2016 recruiting class, and the Cards' coaching staff wanted a ball-handling guard to help Quentin Snider once Trey Lewis moves on after this season. The coaches also wanted to pursue a graduate transfer after the success they've experienced with Lewis and Damion Lee.

"Really, I was just trying to get a feel for a lot of the guys," Hicks said. "Like (coach Rick Pitino) says, this is his best team, ego- and attitude-wise. I've never seen a team that hangs out with their managers and is just so cordial and welcoming. The guys were great."

Hicks, who was Penn's leading scorer over the 2014-15 season, said the process over the next few months won't be much different than what he's been doing. He already works out twice a day and lifts weights three times a week. He already gets in basketball-related work at Penn's facilities.

He said Louisville's coaches want him to work on a quicker shot release, catching and shooting off screens, and shooting with more arc.

As far as school goes, he just needs finish his bachelor's degree at Penn and take the GRE.

"Once all that goes through, I'll be there on May 31 for the June session (at U of L)," Hicks said. "I'm excited to get started."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT