ADVERTISEMENT

4* Corey Reed commits to Cards.

Uptight, but at least we're not "settling" anymore. :rolleyes:
while most applauded the kragthorpe hire, I was very loud the day he was hired saying it was the worst hire in louisville history. ( howie can vouch that) and during the kragthorpe years we settled for d 2 talent.

I bleed red and see the world through cardinal glasses. I am thankful Petrino is our coach and look forward to a great year.

Thankful for Reed choosing Louisville, and I hope he is Devante part duex.

Go Cards....

prune juice, enima, and milk of magnesia for for the uptight folks.

#L1C4

Generally, schools attract talent at the point where their program has been in recent history... "Where" as in pecking order.

There are various recruiting myths out there that fly in the face of facts. One is that a step up in conference affiliation gives your recruiting a bump up, or should. That's a myth. No data support that.

The K-rag years were affected by K-rag, not by our recruiting strategy. Good recruits don't wanna play for a coach that sucks.

Here's our three-year moving average of Rivals class ranks:

2007 41.7
2008 44.7
2009 60.0
2010 63.0
2011 54.7
2012 41.3
2013 38.0
2014 40.0
2015 36.3
2016 34.7

The swoon between 2009 and 2011 were the result of K-rag's debacle. 2007 reflected the best years in Petrino 1.0. Now we're back to that level, maybe a tick better.

But it will be years before we move in the 20s or higher on a consistent basis. That's who we are. And Petrino can win with those classes, just like Michigan State, Wisconsin, and TCU has...

That last paragraph fails to recognize the fallacy of the rivals ranking system (and rest of the recruiter agencies bias towards the same 20 or so programs year in and year out).....more than it limits UofL's ability to truly recruit the best players that fit CBP's system and be ranked higher. That is who we are with CBP as head coach of the program.

Truly, all classes should be re-ranked once they have graduated and transcended their HS potential to actual performance on the field. CBP's results show up the most where it really matters.....in the W/L record and development of these young men into actual players.

Any real stats of that would paint a truer picture of the college landscape, and dispel many of the myths of CFB held about those so-called favored blue blood programs; and programs like UofL who constantly have to prove themselves year to year without any or much carryover of previous years success. etc. etc. you get the drift of this matter..

Overall, I agree with your assessment....just wanted to add my 2 cents to it.

Last edited:
I think the rating of Football Players is not nearly as accurate as it is for Basketball Players for a lot of reasons. First there is a hell of a lot more football players and nobody sees all of them. Second, the top 100 to 200 basketball players are constantly in competition with each other at AAU tournaments and basketball camps. Makes it more easier to evaluate them.
Also in football, especially on the offensive and defensive line, you have to keep developing physically in College to be a top player. There are a number of Basketball Players every year that could go straight to the professional ranks if the rules allowed it. It would be rare to find a high school kid that could go straight to the NFL. So development after they arrive on campus is critical and some programs are better at it than others. I think where the water gets muddy is the 3 & 4 Star guys. I think the ratings are probably right on the 2 & 5 star guys but not always. Its my understanding Jamari Staples was rated 2 Stars. And there is no doubt in my mind he will play in the NFL.

My point is I think Zipp is correct, You can have a very good program if you can recruit in the 25-35 range.

Zipp, your assessment is spot on with wanting to play for a certain coach. Bobby recruits kids that are a fit to his style of play, and Dumervil, comes to mind as a player he spotted and the rankings system was wrong about.

so many players Bobby latches onto are quality kids and pro prospects, that is the reason we are headed to some amazing seasons, and that we may be off to a record season starting this year.

I also applaud the way they are recruiting athletes at wide receiver and then changing positions for them to make the team stronger.

It is a great time to be a Cardinal fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT