ADVERTISEMENT

4 Auto Bids For SEC and Big 10?

Also, those two will quit playing G5 schools because heaven forbid they lose to one of them.

The older I get the less I care. I’m a very casual pro sports fan. I watch a few NFL, very little MLB until playoffs, and absolutely no NBA.

The ride from 1985 to the ACC was a fun one. Lot of great trips and big wins!

But now we’re here and have to live with paid players and a stacked deck.

I’m afraid the next 20 years will be ho-hum, status quo, take what they give us FB, and not nearly as fun.

I hope I’m wrong.

The only way the other groups should agree to this is limit them to the 2 auto bids. The entire system is built to guarantee those conference 2-6 spots. They can manipulate their scheduling to almost guarantee 4-6 teams. Their problem is they need their brands to play each other every year. They are afraid they will eat their own especially if they go to a 9 game schedule or add a Big Ten team to their non conference. They want Ohio State to play Georgia with no real risk.

A lot of this is going to be schedule based. Indiana has a real shot at playoff. They get their 50-50 games at home. Catch a down Michigan team at home. They could finish 10-2 and not beaten anyone. Similar to Louisville last year. Ole Miss was set up beautifully with their schedule now they botched it with the loss to UK. Missouri is another one that is set up nicely.

The reality is there is no stopping it. Those conference will always have teams to fill spots in the playoff. The SEC/Big Ten has the most talent and it will continue to have the most talent.

The only way the other groups should agree to this is limit them to the 2 auto bids. The entire system is built to guarantee those conference 2-6 spots. They can manipulate their scheduling to almost guarantee 4-6 teams. Their problem is they need their brands to play each other every year. They are afraid they will eat their own especially if they go to a 9 game schedule or add a Big Ten team to their non conference. They want Ohio State to play Georgia with no real risk.

A lot of this is going to be schedule based. Indiana has a real shot at playoff. They get their 50-50 games at home. Catch a down Michigan team at home. They could finish 10-2 and not beaten anyone. Similar to Louisville last year. Ole Miss was set up beautifully with their schedule now they botched it with the loss to UK. Missouri is another one that is set up nicely.

The reality is there is no stopping it. Those conference will always have teams to fill spots in the playoff. The SEC/Big Ten has the most talent and it will continue to have the most talent.
And the NCAA has no power to stop it, football post season is pretty much all based on what the conferences agree to do.

The SEC and Big Ten are the playoff, the ACC, Big 12, and others have 0 bargaining power. That's why I do say it's better for our league if FSU, Clemson, and Miami are all among the elite, because they would have a bargaining chip and "a rising tide lifts all ships" type effect. If fans think those great programs are being left out, then there's leverage. But when those programs sink like FSU has been for a decade & Miami for 20 years, and Clemson is now just OK, the national audience will just tune out the league.

Not saying it's fair or right, but it just is what it is.

Also, those two will quit playing G5 schools because heaven forbid they lose to one of them.

The older I get the less I care. I’m a very casual pro sports fan. I watch a few NFL, very little MLB until playoffs, and absolutely no NBA.

The ride from 1985 to the ACC was a fun one. Lot of great trips and big wins!

But now we’re here and have to live with paid players and a stacked deck.

I’m afraid the next 20 years will be ho-hum, status quo, take what they give us FB, and not nearly as fun.

I hope I’m wrong.
I’m exactly the same on the casual sports deal. I follow Louisville football and hopefully now Louisville basketball as the last 4 or 5 years have been unwatchable. I watch the Ravens because of Lamar.

All the other conferences need to say **** espn and boycott playing on it. I know that sounds radical but the only way to change things sometimes takes a bold move. There are enough broadcast stations to pick them up.

All the other conferences need to say **** espn and boycott playing on it. I know that sounds radical but the only way to change things sometimes takes a bold move. There are enough broadcast stations to pick them up.
NBC has Notre Dame and Big Ten
Fox has the Big Ten and Big 12
CBS has the Big Ten

Those 3 also have financial issues and aren’t looking for other places. If we boycott ESPN, no one else is going to pay us big money and it would all fall apart.

Boycotting them does nothing. We cashed their checks for years, we’re stuck with them until 2036 or the ACC falls apart.

NBC has Notre Dame and Big Ten
Fox has the Big Ten and Big 12
CBS has the Big Ten

Those 3 also have financial issues and aren’t looking for other places. If we boycott ESPN, no one else is going to pay us big money and it would all fall apart.

Boycotting them does nothing. We cashed their checks for years, we’re stuck with them until 2036 or the ACC falls apart.
You think so? I just have a hard time believing all these television outlets are going to let the ACC, Big 12 and all the rest of the cfb conference go unwatched. I’d like to see all those tv outlets you mentioned fill their slots with 2 conferences 😂

You think so? I just have a hard time believing all these television outlets are going to let the ACC, Big 12 and all the rest of the cfb conference go unwatched. I’d like to see all those tv outlets you mentioned fill their slots with 2 conferences 😂
We have a contract with ESPN through 2036 as long as they renew in 2028.

They’d pay, but you’re acting like we have leverage. And just say we boycott and break off from the Big 2 conferences, what value would we have then? What if they “boycott” us? Then we’d lose a lot of prestige because the viewing audience would consider our games meaningless.

It sucks, but we’re under their control and at their mercy.

Reactions: AnotherCFD
We have a contract with ESPN through 2036 as long as they renew in 2028.

They’d pay, but you’re acting like we have leverage. And just say we boycott and break off from the Big 2 conferences, what value would we have then? What if they “boycott” us? Then we’d lose a lot of prestige because the viewing audience would consider our games meaningless.

It sucks, but we’re under their control and at their mercy.
First it’s not US. It would be all teams other than those 2 conferences so there is no way ESPN can boycott anybody for the reason I stated. Good luck filling your television slots with games from just 2 conferences. I’m not a lawyer so I assume you are right we are locked in so it was just wishful thinking to put it to the bastards.
You do realize if they take 8 playoff teams from those 2 conferences that it only leaves 3 spots for the ACC and Big 12 combined because of the 12 seed being an undeserving mid major. Again the ACc and Big 12 fuked again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT