ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING: 2019 commits react to Petrino firing.

Dave Lackford

6000+
Staff
Jan 14, 2014
I spoke with three-star QB Jaden Johnson, the leader of the 2019 commits, and the always candid prospect didn't disappoint.

"Man, I had a feeling it was coming but not this early," remarked Johnson.

When asked if Petrino's firing meant he looking to find a new school to commit to, Johnson shot that notion down with a measured response:

"I'm gonna see how it plays out and who the new staff is gonna be. I'm talking to (Louisville Athletic Director) Vince Tyra to see if the new staff was going to let us (the ten current 2019 verbal commits) sign. I told him we are the ones who have been trying to build this thing back up."

He couldn't say what Tyra told him but he said it was a positive conversation.

I also reached out to Aidan Robbins for comment and he responded:

"I don't have any thoughts right now, I will release a statement later after talking to my family."

Johnson provided some insight into Robbins situation, stating that if the new hire is current Purdue head coach Jeff Brohm, the staff could try to use Robbins as a linebacker. Running back is Robbins' position of preference and that may be a reason for Robbins to look for a new school.

That being said, Johnson said he is in frequent communication with Robbins, Stanley King, Denzel Daxson, and Jeremiah Pruitte, and that "everyone is waiting to see how things play out with the new staff coning in before making any moves.

I spoke with people close to Fleming Island, Florida tight end Sam Snyder last week who expressed significant concerns about the state of the coaching staff. Today however Snyder said he is staying committed "at this time" which is pretty much the company line from most recruits "at this time."

While the dismissal of Petrino doesn't bode well for Louisville's chances of signing those remaining commits with legit options elsewhere, retention is possible. Whenever a head coach is fired in-season it sends shockwaves through the recruiting universe, especially with the athletes committed to the program in flux. Current commits may have doors closed in them while doors may open for others around the country who are still open as well as committed elsewhere.

I will update this thread as new information comes to light.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News