ADVERTISEMENT

2017 starters?

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
Okay, since we're on a bye week, I decided to give the 2017 team a look. If we're going to maintain our current status as a ACC power, we need to reload.

Offense:

QB - L. Jackson, jr
RB - J.Smith, sr
RB - L.Scott, sr
WR - T.Samuel, jr
WR - R. Bonnafon, sr
WR - J. Smith, jr
TE - M. Crum, jr
OL - K. Thomas, jr
OL - G. Christian, jr
C - R. Bell, so
OL - L. McNeil, jr
OL - C. Jones, so

That would be four returning starters but Samuel, Jalen and Jeremy Smith all have started before or have played a lot of football. The only inexperienced players will be Bell and Jones on the OL.

Deffense

DE - D. Bailey, sr
DE - D. Richardson, sr
DT - K. Shortridge, sr
OLB - J. Hearnes, sr
OLB - T. Young, sr
ILB - S. Thomas, sr
ILB - J. Greenyard, so
CB - S. Wiggins, sr
CB - J. Alexander, jr
S - D. Smith, so
S - C. Williams, sr

That would be seven returning starters but Young was a starter before his injury so it's like having eight starters back. There really isn't any inexperienced players as Shortridge, Greenyard and D. Smith all have played.

The Cards have plenty of experience and young talented depth on both sides of the ball.

Offense - WR - S. Dawkins, so
WR - C. Yamonoha, fr
WR - K. Wakefield, fr
WR - D. Peete, jr
WR - D. Fitzpatrick, fr
RB - M. Williams, sr
QB - J. Pass, fr
Defense - DL - G. Robinson, so
DL - C. Williams, sr
LB - I. Stewart, jr
LB - A. Cabon, so
LB - T. Peterson, fr
CB - Z. Cannon, sr
CB - R. Walker, sr
CB - T. Washington, sr
S - P. Blue, fr
S - L. Iacopo. sr
S - K. Pass. so

And the current class of commitments have several players who may see immediate playing time. The only real need is both lines. The DL especially. I see we got a commitment today from a 3 star guy. Petrino needs to get some 4 star linemen and this program will be contenders for a long while.

I think despite the obvious big losses this year, the team should be in the top 10 pre-season. There's no telling who will come out of nowhere and be a star. Just look at Alexander this year. I think getting Young back and Hearns sticking around for his senior year are key to this being another stout defense. Lamar still has plenty of weapons around him. Things are looking great for 2017.

Now back to 2016.

Cards big over Duke, 55-21

Reactions: beasleythecard
Does anyone know the where 2016 big time recruit Michael Boykin is? Did he not make the grades? Did he go to juco? Virtually every top program offered this kid. Thought the Cards had a good one.

I am wondering if Hearns is playing his way into the NFL draft this year. Disregard, he's a SR this year. I apologize.

Okay, since we're on a bye week, I decided to give the 2017 team a look. If we're going to maintain our current status as a ACC power, we need to reload.

Offense:

QB - L. Jackson, jr
RB - J.Smith, sr
RB - L.Scott, sr
WR - T.Samuel, jr
WR - R. Bonnafon, sr
WR - J. Smith, jr
TE - M. Crum, jr
OL - K. Thomas, jr
OL - G. Christian, jr
C - R. Bell, so
OL - L. McNeil, jr
OL - C. Jones, so

That would be four returning starters but Samuel, Jalen and Jeremy Smith all have started before or have played a lot of football. The only inexperienced players will be Bell and Jones on the OL.

Deffense

DE - D. Bailey, sr
DE - D. Richardson, sr
DT - K. Shortridge, sr
OLB - J. Hearnes, sr
OLB - T. Young, sr
ILB - S. Thomas, sr
ILB - J. Greenyard, so
CB - S. Wiggins, sr
CB - J. Alexander, jr
S - D. Smith, so
S - C. Williams, sr

That would be seven returning starters but Young was a starter before his injury so it's like having eight starters back. There really isn't any inexperienced players as Shortridge, Greenyard and D. Smith all have played.

The Cards have plenty of experience and young talented depth on both sides of the ball.

WR - C. Yamonoha, fr
WR - K. Wakefield, fr
WR - D. Peete, jr
WR - D. Fitzpatrick, fr
RB - M. Williams, sr
QB - J. Pass, fr
DL - C. Williams, sr
LB - I. Stewart, jr
LB - A. Cabon, so
LB - T. Peterson, fr
CB - Z. Cannon, sr
CB - R. Walker, sr
CB - T. Washington, sr
S - P. Blue, fr
S - L. Iacopo. sr
S - K. Pass. so

And the current class of commitments have several players who may see immediate playing time. The only real need is both lines. The DL especially. I see we got a commitment today from a 3 star guy. Petrino needs to get some 4 star linemen and this program will be contenders for a long while.

I think despite the obvious big losses this year, the team should be in the top 10 pre-season. There's no telling who will come out of nowhere and be a star. Just look at Alexander this year. I think getting Young back and Hearns sticking around for his senior year are key to this being another stout defense. Lamar still has plenty of weapons around him. Things are looking great for 2017.

Now back to 2016.

Excellent post, I believe Bobby likes to view the player to see if he fits his system, The star ranking is so subjective that it makes you wonder if it is even relevant.

I hope we land a very nasty DT or two so that we can redshirt them and help them learn the system and mature. Playing freshmen can actually hurt you if they are not physically ready.

Does anyone know the where 2016 big time recruit Michael Boykin is? Did he not make the grades? Did he go to juco? Virtually every top program offered this kid. Thought the Cards had a good one.

Correct. He went the junior college route - he's at Gulf Coast CC this year.

Offense:

QB - L. Jackson, jr
RB - J.Smith, sr
RB - L.Scott, sr
WR - T.Samuel, jr
WR - R. Bonnafon, sr
WR - J. Smith, jr
TE - M. Crum, jr
OL - K. Thomas, jr
OL - G. Christian, jr
C - R. Bell, so
OL - L. McNeil, jr
OL - C. Jones, so

Deffense

DE - D. Bailey, sr
DE - D. Richardson, sr
DT - K. Shortridge, sr
OLB - J. Hearnes, sr
OLB - T. Young, sr
ILB - S. Thomas, sr
ILB - J. Greenyard, so
CB - S. Wiggins, sr
CB - J. Alexander, jr
S - D. Smith, so
S - C. Williams, sr

WR - C. Yamonoha, fr
WR - K. Wakefield, fr
WR - D. Peete, jr
WR - D. Fitzpatrick, fr
RB - M. Williams, sr
QB - J. Pass, fr
DL - C. Williams, sr
LB - I. Stewart, jr
LB - A. Cabon, so
LB - T. Peterson, fr
CB - Z. Cannon, sr
CB - R. Walker, sr
CB - T. Washington, sr
S - P. Blue, fr
S - L. Iacopo. sr
S - K. Pass. so

Now back to 2016.

Great post! The only quibble I have is with your defensive starters - Greenard is an outside linebacker, Isaac Stewart is probably the one you want to put in the ILB spot being opened by Kelsey's graduation. Amonte Caban might be there, instead of Stewart.

Just look on this site under football commitments for the class of 2013. There is Hearns, along with Quick and Kelsey who both played as true freshmen. Hearns redshirted that year which gives him one more year. Now if he leaves early that's always a possibility. On the other site they have it right. Rivals like usual just rarely updates the numbers. Someone saw 2013 and did the math and listed him as a senior.

Just look on this site under football commitments for the class of 2013. There is Hearns, along with Quick and Kelsey who both played as true freshmen. Hearns redshirted that year which gives him one more year. Now if he leaves early that's always a possibility. On the other site they have it right. Rivals like usual just rarely updates the numbers. Someone saw 2013 and did the math and listed him as a senior.

THx!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT