ADVERTISEMENT

Zipp recruiting hotboard

Cardinal Cash

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2016
Alright @zipp we missed out on Ramey as you hoped for, who are your top targets for 2018? Some guys I like are as follows.
Trey Hill (PRP)
Jayden Scrubb (Trinity)
JJ Reed (Paducah Tilghman)
Christian Loring (Wesley Christian Allen KY)
These guys would need likely relish at the opportunity to play for a big time in-state school. Are any of these guys talented enough to be on your watch list of receiving payments?:D:D

I wasn't hoping for anything. I asked about the quality/safety of 5-star and high level 4-star recruits. If Ramey is in that group, is he safe? Does anyone here know? And if you just have him for one year, does it matter? We're not a OAD program.

Many of you guys follow recruiting in more detail than I do. I have no idea who's next up to the plate. Have all of the high 3-star and low 4-star kids signed? Are we recruiting any of them? We only need a couple.

Does anyone know what Mack is doing or accomplishing? He's been signed to a lot of money to hit the ground running. If we have to bide our time for a couple years, what was our hurry to sign him? We could have paid Padgett $900K if striking out is acceptable.

And who's ultimately responsible? I know that answer... This guy...

Tyra-baseball%20pic_zpssayvqaka.jpg

Once the FBI thing happened recruiting 2018 kids was going to be next to impossible. As a parent would you really want to send a kid to a school with so much unknown. What Mack makes doesn't really start mattering until next year. Padgett was never getting the job his salary is irrelevant. Insert any coach into this situation recruiting would have been a struggle for 2018. I don't get really worked up about grad transfers they are a gamble.

Fire away if next year if at the same time they have no recruits and a team that doesn't make the tournament. I think that would be fair. Holding anyone other than Pitino accountable for this current mess is ridiculous.

Alright @zipp we missed out on Ramey as you hoped for, who are your top targets for 2018? Some guys I like are as follows.
Trey Hill (PRP)
Jayden Scrubb (Trinity)
JJ Reed (Paducah Tilghman)
Christian Loring (Wesley Christian Allen KY)
These guys would need likely relish at the opportunity to play for a big time in-state school. Are any of these guys talented enough to be on your watch list of receiving payments?:D:D

i think his top targets are tom jurich and rick pitino.

Reactions: Chapman123
I wasn't hoping for anything. I asked about the quality/safety of 5-star and high level 4-star recruits. If Ramey is in that group, is he safe? Does anyone here know? And if you just have him for one year, does it matter? We're not a OAD program.

Many of you guys follow recruiting in more detail than I do. I have no idea who's next up to the plate. Have all of the high 3-star and low 4-star kids signed? Are we recruiting any of them? We only need a couple.

Does anyone know what Mack is doing or accomplishing? He's been signed to a lot of money to hit the ground running. If we have to bide our time for a couple years, what was our hurry to sign him? We could have paid Padgett $900K if striking out is acceptable.

And who's ultimately responsible? I know that answer... This guy...

Tyra-baseball%20pic_zpssayvqaka.jpg

sorry man. RP made 7 million for 1 final four and 2 elite 8's and a bevy of scandals. is that your measure of success?

I’m not sure Billy D could recruit this year.

At least we have a permanent foundation to build on. No more interims. I’m feeling better about the two sports that really matter in he big picture. I just paid my FB invoice and bought Bama tics. :D

Now we wait and see. And as fans, that’s all any of us can do.

I agree with going after the local kids really hard. There are some really talented kids coming up and I would love to have them.

Is he the coach? Nope.. the responsibility lies with the head coach. Who’s that?

He said "ultimately" responsible and pictured Tyra. So, you could be asking him that same question as well, couldn't you? I believe so, but you chose not to. Go figure.

If you're going to put the responsibility on a coach who recruited the guy for about 3 weeks and almost had him over someone who's been talking to him for 6 months, then go ahead, but he's not ultimately responsible for recruits and parents questioning the integrity of the program. That guy is ^, whether we like it or not.

Judge Mack on his '19 class, not this one. If Mack had the same time as Shaka, Ramey would have been a Cardinal yesterday.

Let's just sit here and blame Mack and Tyra for kids questioning the program and act like they're ultimately responsible. LOL. This must be a joke.

You can't argue what they accomplished at Louisville, but that doesn't mean they (ultimately Pitino) didn't rip their accomplishments half because he did. Whether he knew or not, the HC is responsible like you said.

As long as the FBI scandal is unresolved and hovering the program, Pitino is ultimately at fault for whatever struggles we may have in the RECRUITING game. That's fact.

Last edited:
We are not the only school mentioned in the FBI investigation. However, we are the only school suffering from it and that is probably because of the way it was handled. We fired the Head Coach and AD, did Miami fire Laranaga, did Kansas fire Bill Self, did Auburn fire Bruce Pearl, etc.? No they didn't and it is not hurting their recruiting or image.
The people in charge at this University made some bad decisions. I like Mack and our problems are not his fault and he has an uphill battle to contend with. I think he should keep recruiting hard but make his focus on the local kids. There is some really good talent in our area this year and hopefully we can get them.

Reactions: zipp
We are not the only school mentioned in the FBI investigation. However, we are the only school suffering from it and that is probably because of the way it was handled. We fired the Head Coach and AD, did Miami fire Laranaga, did Kansas fire Bill Self, did Auburn fire Bruce Pearl, etc.? No they didn't and it is not hurting their recruiting or image.
The people in charge at this University made some bad decisions. I like Mack and our problems are not his fault and he has an uphill battle to contend with. I think he should keep recruiting hard but make his focus on the local kids. There is some really good talent in our area this year and hopefully we can get them.
I agree that on the FBI investigation, Pitino was the only coach (to date) that was fired. To my knowledge UL was the only one of those schools that had other serious issues going on with the NCAA at the time the FBI investigation became public. The uncertainty of the future status of UL is definitely a recruiting problem for Coach Mack.

He said "ultimately" responsible and pictured Tyra. So, you could be asking him that same question as well, couldn't you? I believe so, but you chose not to. Go figure.

If you're going to put the responsibility on a coach who recruited the guy for about 3 weeks and almost had him over someone who's been talking to him for 6 months, then go ahead, but he's not ultimately responsible for recruits and parents questioning the integrity of the program. That guy is ^, whether we like it or not.

Judge Mack on his '19 class, not this one. If Mack had the same time as Shaka, Ramey would have been a Cardinal yesterday.

Let's just sit here and blame Mack and Tyra for kids questioning the program and act like they're ultimately responsible. LOL. This must be a joke.

You can't argue what they accomplished at Louisville, but that doesn't mean they (ultimately Pitino) didn't rip their accomplishments half because he did. Whether he knew or not, the HC is responsible like you said.

As long as the FBI scandal is unresolved and hovering the program, Pitino is ultimately at fault for whatever struggles we may have in the RECRUITING game. That's fact.
Look Mack took this job knowing it was going to be hard but somehow he convinced the AD that he could keep U of L on a high national level. If he couldn’t then we should have kept Padgett and give him a chance. Now to be honest, why hasn’t Mack been able to turn just one recruit from Xavier to U of L? Weren’t these kids coming to play for Mack or for Xavier? If that’s the case, we may have made an oops.

Reactions: zipp

People don't understand that he wasn't fired because of the FBI situation. He was fired because this is the 2nd major, 3rd total scandal that involves him since he's been at UofL. Had this been the only one, he'd be coaching now.

Reactions: Smithereen
People don't understand that he wasn't fired because of the FBI situation. He was fired because this is the 2nd major, 3rd total scandal that involves him since he's been at UofL. Had this been the only one, he'd be coaching now.

People understand this however there are a small number of bitter folks that display misplaced loyalty to their heroes rather than the university. Vince Tyra terms them the weeds.

Nevada was within a few points of a Final Four last season, playing a rotation of 6 guys. We have 8 ballplayers. We should be fine. Particularly if we do well, the Louisville brand will be back already, quicker than most everyone thought. If I am Mack, I look real hard at quality transfers who have to sit out a season and one Graduate eligible guard who could play a help role. Few schollies mean we end our scholarship penalties limits early. That is a good thing.

Nevada was within a few points of a Final Four last season, playing a rotation of 6 guys. We have 8 ballplayers. We should be fine. Particularly if we do well, the Louisville brand will be back already, quicker than most everyone thought. If I am Mack, I look real hard at quality transfers who have to sit out a season and one Graduate eligible guard who could play a help role. Few schollies mean we end our scholarship penalties limits early. That is a good thing.
This is true if you have the right 6-8 guys that buy in. In college you don't need a long bench, you just need guys to cover in 3 to 5 minute spurts.

Nevada didn't play in the ACC. The shorter bench requires a great deal of luck with health in addition to mental fatigue.

Not mission impossible but very little room for error.

In flabbergasted hay zip is already bashing the coach who was the first option. Most fans would be thrilled hiring the first option. Give the guy some time he has a lot to deal with. Padgett had a team that was capable and didn’t make the tournament. If Mack had yals roster this past season I’m almost certain you make the tournament

The other schools that struck out trying to land grad transfers, what were their excuses? The FBI investigation or Pitino?

A month ago, why didn't Mack and Tyra simply say "to hell with it--guys this year aren't signing with us."

Excuses...

In flabbergasted hay zip is already bashing the coach who was the first option. Most fans would be thrilled hiring the first option. Give the guy some time he has a lot to deal with. Padgett had a team that was capable and didn’t make the tournament. If Mack had yals roster this past season I’m almost certain you make the tournament
I like that slapd!cks are siding with my opponents on this issue.

Confirmation...

Zipp, you are apparently Biblical for them, lol. You say something and it gets an immediate response, lol. That's church, baby!
It’s not just Kentucky fans calling him out. Padgett underachieved with a good team last year and zip wanted him retained as coach. Are you on board with that?

It’s not just Kentucky fans calling him out. Padgett underachieved with a good team last year and zip wanted him retained as coach. Are you on board with that?
I was an advocate for Padgett when the team was performing well at midseason. Not so much by season's end. You must have dropped in then dropped out which slapd!cks are known to do.

For the record, it's also TBD whether replacing Padgett with Mack was the right decision. The former was making about 20% of the latter, and I'd rank them both about equal in recruiting ability which is the only way to compare them thus far. Mack hasn't coached a game here yet...

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
I was an advocate for Padgett when the team was performing well at midseason. Not so much by season's end. You must have dropped in then dropped out which slapd!cks are known to do.

For the record, it's also TBD whether replacing Padgett with Mack was the right decision. The former was making about 20% of the latter, and I'd rank them both about equal in recruiting ability which is the only way to compare them thus far. Mack hasn't coached a game here yet...
I agree with pretty much everything except the last anecdote. I think Mack has proven he is a much better in-game coach than Padgett based on his big east and previous NCAA tourney performances. But we’ll see if it translates. Here’s hoping. I’m also disappointed in recruiting but both he and Padgett have been handicapped on that front. Padgett even more so due to the fact that he didn’t have the job.

Reactions: earsky and zipp

I gotta agree with zippy do da here. Why drop that amount and commitment to a coach who , because of player talent and availability will probably not be that successful the first 3 to 4 years? So you basically are giving a coach a bunch of money to have the same results as the guy who you paid a fraction of Macks salary. I honestly hope Mack hits the road running and is successful from the get. But i just don't see it. Sad part is. Mack if he does have issues and in 3 years the fans start associating him with the UL issues. He leaves for another high pay day. And UL is were they where before hiring Mack. Still will have plenty of options in 2 or 3 years. UL won't have to take a 2nd rate coach. Especially once UL gets the scandals behind them. Seems like the admin thinks Mack will be there through the rough of the roughest and then take that next step. I hope so. But in most cases like this. The coach struggles through horrible times. Once the light at the end of the tunnel starts to open. A lot of fans associate that coach with the bad times you just had. And want a change. So you just paid a guy millions, when you could of paid another coach a lot less to achieve the same results. Once UL is done with the scandals. The best of the best coaches will be interested. You don't think UL fans wouldn't be ready for a change at that point? And grab a Donovan maybe?

I gotta agree with zippy do da here. Why drop that amount and commitment to a coach who , because of player talent and availability will probably not be that successful the first 3 to 4 years? So you basically are giving a coach a bunch of money to have the same results as the guy who you paid a fraction of Macks salary. I honestly hope Mack hits the road running and is successful from the get. But i just don't see it. Sad part is. Mack if he does have issues and in 3 years the fans start associating him with the UL issues. He leaves for another high pay day. And UL is were they where before hiring Mack. Still will have plenty of options in 2 or 3 years. UL won't have to take a 2nd rate coach. Especially once UL gets the scandals behind them. Seems like the admin thinks Mack will be there through the rough of the roughest and then take that next step. I hope so. But in most cases like this. The coach struggles through horrible times. Once the light at the end of the tunnel starts to open. A lot of fans associate that coach with the bad times you just had. And want a change. So you just paid a guy millions, when you could of paid another coach a lot less to achieve the same results. Once UL is done with the scandals. The best of the best coaches will be interested. You don't think UL fans wouldn't be ready for a change at that point? And grab a Donovan maybe?
Hypothesizing that Mack cannot recruit lies in the face of how his Xavier teams have fared the last few seasons. I'm sorry, but being ranked #3 in the country - ahead of nearly all the One and Done Factories - says one of either 2 things - and neither one is bad.

He had great talent. Or he is a great in game coach on x's and o's or fab at developing lesser regarded players into those who compete for it all. Almost any way you construct the anti-argument, the one thing you cannot take away is how he developed little-regarded Xavier into one of the Top 10 programs in basketball.

I did not bother worrying about his recruiting because we have an excellent nucleus in place. Now that we got the Samford kid - who I love - we are in an even better spot.

I also loved Padgett because he basically grew up around me. But he was not just over his head in hoops, the litany of deaths in his family of not one but 2 of his closest relatives attacked him all at once....distracting him as it would anyone. Hiring Mack was wisdom squared, imo, ans a tribute to our rep and brand. I am more amazed a BOT as dysfunctional as ours could find that acorn.

Nevada doesn't count for much of anything. It's why David went to Kansas and Louisville. David should have been named the permanent head coach for his loyalty, sense of duty and performance in the face of adversity created by the previous coach.

Hypothesizing that Mack cannot recruit lies in the face of how his Xavier teams have fared the last few seasons. I'm sorry, but being ranked #3 in the country - ahead of nearly all the One and Done Factories - says one of either 2 things - and neither one is bad...
The only thing I've questioned about Mack--and I pose this same question of all coaches nowadays who have landed highly rated recruits--is whether he's clean. In recent years, his caliber of recruit looks to be in line with what U of L was landing.

If he's been clean, he should be OK continuing to recruit those kids...

The only thing I've questioned about Mack--and I pose this same question of all coaches nowadays who have landed highly rated recruits--is whether he's clean. In recent years, his caliber of recruit looks to be in line with what U of L was landing.

If he's been clean, he should be OK continuing to recruit those kids...

Withthe exception of Bowen, our players have been clean. Mcgee ruined otherwise clean recruits when he brought his skanks on campus.

Whatever a Mack does a lesser coach will get worse results in the same situation. Donovan still might be an option in 3 yrs so you are holding the program back more hoping for a dream.

Mavk is seems to be the next guy who is ready to enter the ranks of elite coaches. I ‘d rather have that guy anyhow rather than praying for Donovan.

It’s easy to be on board when you’re beating weak teams non conference. I didn’t take you for a fair weather fan

It’s easy to be on board when you’re beating weak teams non conference. I didn’t take you for a fair weather fan
I'm not a fan of a coach, just the team. Nothing fair weather about me...I attended games this year right up until the end and was hoping for Padgett to perform. Thanks for bringing that up--it's something I pride myself on...

Last edited:
Reactions: earsky
Hypothesizing that Mack cannot recruit lies in the face of how his Xavier teams have fared the last few seasons. I'm sorry, but being ranked #3 in the country - ahead of nearly all the One and Done Factories - says one of either 2 things - and neither one is bad.

He had great talent. Or he is a great in game coach on x's and o's or fab at developing lesser regarded players into those who compete for it all. Almost any way you construct the anti-argument, the one thing you cannot take away is how he developed little-regarded Xavier into one of the Top 10 programs in basketball.

I did not bother worrying about his recruiting because we have an excellent nucleus in place. Now that we got the Samford kid - who I love - we are in an even better spot.

I also loved Padgett because he basically grew up around me. But he was not just over his head in hoops, the litany of deaths in his family of not one but 2 of his closest relatives attacked him all at once....distracting him as it would anyone. Hiring Mack was wisdom squared, imo, ans a tribute to our rep and brand. I am more amazed a BOT as dysfunctional as ours could find that acorn.

Can't disagree with anything you said. My only point was in most situations like this the coach , his fault or not goes through that huge down period. Fans then forget what got them their. And look to blaming the guy in charge. Before Mack is given the amount of time that is probably needed , to dig out of this hole. Him the admin and fans grow tired of each other. And part ways. Then here comes new hot shot coach to pick up and start at a place much easier then Mack has. Same result had you kept a coach making a lot less. I could be wrong .Mack may blow it away.

I think you gross;y underestimate the love of the sport, the basketball IQ and the depth of commitment of UofL fans. You act like it's this microwave world of fans when we have been in the top 3 or 5 in basketball attendance since 1957. That's 61 years, lol.

Nevada doesn't count for much of anything. It's why David went to Kansas and Louisville. David should have been named the permanent head coach for his loyalty, sense of duty and performance in the face of adversity created by the previous coach.
Man, you're an interesting sort of special.

That is assuming David P would keep to program from going into the tank. I really think if David was retained it would have been a disaster. He wasn't ready and that is OK. Keeping him would have compounded the problem. Now the rebuild becomes a 6 year process instead of a 2 or 3 year process with Mack.

I have more faith in Mack based off his success at Xavier will have Louisville back in good shape by 2019 and in great shape by 2020. I get the feeling people look down at the new Big East, but it is a good basketball conference really no different that 80 percent of the conference Louisville was in for years. Xavier was a really good program. This was a sound coaching hire and only time will tell if it was a terrific hire.

...I have more faith in Mack based off his success at Xavier will have Louisville back in good shape by 2019 and in great shape by 2020. I get the feeling people look down at the new Big East, but it is a good basketball conference really no different that 80 percent of the conference Louisville was in for years. Xavier was a really good program. This was a sound coaching hire and only time will tell if it was a terrific hire.
Who knows what the future holds, but I thought we wanted to do better than rolling the dice.

Thad Matta, Sean Miller, Skip Prosser, Pete Gillen... If you're impressed with Mack's record at Xavier, you would have been OK with those guys at U of L. I thought our bar was higher than that...

Who knows what the future holds, but I thought we wanted to do better than rolling the dice.

Thad Matta, Sean Miller, Skip Prosser, Pete Gillen... If you're impressed with Mack's record at Xavier, you would have been OK with those guys at U of L. I thought our bar was higher than that...

Unless all Xavier coaches have the exact same ability this really doesn't make sense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT