ADVERTISEMENT

WOW! Yogi Ferrell?

80_86

5000+
Jul 11, 2002
The front page story said Yogi might be interested to be a Cardinal as a graduate transfer. That would be awesome. He's a shooter for sure who would fit nicely with Snider and Mitchell in a three guard lineup. He's another short guard but that's the norm here. I'm sure he wants confirmation that if he leaves IU for anyone he will be a starter. Have to say Pitino would guarantee the shooting guard spot.

Originally posted by 80,86:
The front page story said Yogi might be interested to be a Cardinal as a graduate transfer. That would be awesome. He's a shooter for sure who would fit nicely with Snider and Mitchell in a three guard lineup. He's another short guard but that's the norm here. I'm sure he wants confirmation that if he leaves IU for anyone he will be a starter. Have to say Pitino would guarantee the shooting guard spot.
That would be a first. I've never heard of him promising a starting spot to any player. He'll give the young man every opportunity to earn a starting spot but he won't just give it to him. That's not Pitino's style.

I've also read that Pitino has already contacted Cleveland State's Trey Lewis. I think he is damn serious about bringing in ready made scorers and shooters.

Trey Lewis is probably going to be a Card.

He lit us up this year.

I know Yogi has a relationship with our assistant but I would be really surprised if he ended up here.

Originally posted by Steelers2012:
I've also read that Pitino has already contacted Cleveland State's Trey Lewis. I think he is damn serious about bringing in ready made scorers and shooters.
I do wonder if all these transfers and bring in new players are Pitino's idea or the players.

Originally posted by Cue Card:
That would be a first. I've never heard of him promising a starting spot to any player...That's not Pitino's style.Yessirree...

Originally posted by Ipartiedwithhopgood:

Trey Lewis is probably going to be a Card.

He lit us up this year.

I know Yogi has a relationship with our assistant but I would be really surprised if he ended up here.
I feel the same. It would be cool to have Yogi among our back court, but I don't see it happening. But you never know.

That would be a first. I've never heard of him promising a starting spot to any player. He'll give the young man every opportunity to earn a starting spot but he won't just give it to him. That's not Pitino's style.
Would I be off base in stating that Rick's "style" has to change ?

And.........if they don't play D to his satisfaction......where will they be? On the floor, or bench?

I'm truly surprised at his supposed search for one year players when he preach's that it takes time to learn his system. Also, "It's not his style..." was mentioned. We've had a BUNCH of reputed "scorers" who couldn't find clock because of D. That's his style too.

No, I'm not bitching. CRP gets it done one way or another. He's taught me to shut up until March. But what he's "saying" now does not jive with what he has "shown" in the past.

Plenty of time for him to come up with something.

Originally posted by Birdie King:

Would I be off base in stating that Rick's "style" has to change ?
I don't know to be honest. His style seems to be successful. I know we don't always get the sexy choices in recruits, but we do seem to always get the recruits who want to work hard to get better. Maybe his style is just fine, and we as fans want things better quicker. I do recall him once saying we live in a microwave society. I think he's accurate by saying that.

He'll bring in a player or two to plug some holes in the roster, and he'll make damn sure they can shoot the ball. Yogi is one of those possibilities. Another is the Lewis kid from Cleveland State. Hell, he might bring in both. We'll see, but the one thing I know he won't do is make false promises to recruits just to land them. He won't promise them anything other than a fair shot at earning playing time. Each recruit, walk on thru 5 star status has to earn their playing time with Pitino. I doubt that ever changes.

This post was edited on 3/31 7:13 AM by Cue Card

I would not be opposed to this. He can't play defense for sh*t, but he's got the offensive skills that would help solve some problems.

Originally posted by CardX:
I would not be opposed to this. He can't play defense for sh*t, but he's got the offensive skills that would help solve some problems.
Yogi is not coming to UofL. He probably isn't going to graduate in May so he wouldn't be eligible next year if he transferred.

Originally posted by Rollem Cards:
...I'm truly surprised at his supposed search for one year players when he preach's that it takes time to learn his system...
I think you're starting to witness a sub-plot with Pitino...his age. Twenty years ago, he might choose the "rebuild" option for the very reason(s) you mention.

But his old internal clock his ticking, The guy's obsessed with winning, and he's not collecting $5 million for a couple years waiting. That's a couple years he can't get back.

Of course, we benefit from that passion. So who's gonna argue with the approach? Like you say, he's proven he can get it done however he does it...

I'm just here to pass along information, so don't shoot the messenger!

Yogi's mom tweeted today that the rumor was made up and to let it die (with a gun emoji, LOL)

Players' parents on Twitter aside, I believe it was actually a fan on our rivals site who began the rumor.

Originally posted by IUHoosier23:
I'm just here to pass along information, so don't shoot the messenger!

Yogi's mom tweeted today that the rumor was made up and to let it die (with a gun emoji, LOL)

Players' parents on Twitter aside, I believe it was actually a fan on our rivals site who began the rumor.
Yeah, it's not happening. My understanding is "if" he goes anywhere, it will be to the draft.

Absolutely Cue Card ...

Pitino isn't going to promise a starting spot ... but seriously. Look at the roster. If you don't think you can win a starting spot on NEXT year's team, after playing for a while and graduating already, you WON'T be on the short list that Pitino considers.

The pitch is pretty simple. Especially when looking at the list of available transfers (posted on the premium board, but listed at ESPN).

Come to a team that expects to play deep into March after consecutive years of Final Four - Championship - Sweet Sixteen - Elite Eight. Play for a Hall of Fame coach, who has massive connections at the next level. Bust your ass, and see what can happen. Maybe you can parlay the exposure into a shot at the NBA. But at the very least, you can extend your basketball career playing in the premier college basketball conference, and enjoy a deep March Madness run ... IF YOU WORK HARD.

I never thought Yogi Ferrel was a possibility. No offense to Russ Brown, but he's not connected like others in the sports media are. Had that been floated by Jody Demling, or Howie Lindsey, then maybe I'dve thought it a stronger possibility.

I'd be very happy with a Trey Lewis and Damian Lee combo as 5th year transfers. Proven scorers, at guard, with Lee having Reece Gaines size.

But we'll what coach has up his sleeve. Like Roll Em says -- coach has earned some slack in how he manages his roster. It's not the way I'd prefer him to handle it, but I'm not unhappy with the results the past 4 years.

^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^

What you talkin bout Willis?

Pitino decides the path forward.

Go Cards

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT