ADVERTISEMENT

Wow...Paul Finebaum goes off on CBP

Did he really say that? Man, **** him, his Stillers, and their boring Wing-T 3 yards and a cloud of dust "Steel Curtain." LOL. As if I needed another reason to hate the ^&*^%&*(@($#mother&*(&)#*$& Stillers.

For context, you know how zipp feels about the Cayuts? That's how I feel about the *&#*(&#*((*)&mother*&#*&$!sonofa&*)#*&$)!****ing Pittsburgh Steelers. **** them.
Yep. Most likely on a post game show. This was back b4 Fox had much of a presence in college FB. I chalked it up to none of those on the set (except maybe for Jimmy Johnson) having any knowledge of college FB or knew that WVU, Rutgers and us were Top 10.

I would say probably more than want to watch La tech, Terry.
The story I always heard about TB is that he couldn't spell "CAT" if you spotted him the C and the A. I believe it.
That was Hollywood Henderson's take. Not sure if Hollywood could either. lol

It is the false dichotomy petrino used and then Valvano doubled down on yesterday. The issue is not margin of victory. It is about controlling the game against bad teams. Both Louisville and Clemson let bad teams control them until the final second before the bad teams did what bad teams do - fail to make a simple play in front of them. In UVA's case it was the failure to knock down a fourth down pass right in front of the defender and in NCSU's case it was blowing a chip shot FG.

From an outsider, objective point of view, good teams do not rely on bad teams to make late critical mistakes in order to win. If UL or Clemson had won those games by 14 or 17 points controlling the game pretty much from the start of the 4th or earlier I suspect the committee would have been fine with it. But having to catch a break at the end is a negative mark.

Uhh, you must have forgotten about Vandy (Auburn) and Miss. State (Texas A&M). Vandy and Miss State are two of the worst teams in the USA but they took $ec so called powers and either narrowly lost or won. Jeeze you should think before you spout off. The real issue is the over rated $ec and the attitude of the CFP toward them. WTH even the BIG is getting some undeserved love but at least in 2016 they are actually bringing something to the table whereas the $ec brings Alabama, period.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Uhh, you must have forgotten about Vandy (Auburn) and Miss. State (Texas A&M). Vandy and Miss State are two of the worst teams in the USA but they took $ec so called powers and either narrowly lost or won. Jeeze you should think before you spout off. The real issue is the over rated $ec and the attitude of the CFP toward them. WTH even the BIG is getting some undeserved love but at least in 2016 they are actually bringing something to the table whereas the $ec brings Alabama, period.

What those two games have to do with petrino making a ridiculous statement is beyond me.

I would say probably more than want to watch La tech, Terry.
The story I always heard about TB is that he couldn't spell "CAT" if you spotted him the C and the A. I believe it.
I couldn't give a damn whether Terry Bradshaw can spell cat glad he can't. But he's one hell of a QB who won 4 Super Bowls. Don't pick on my Steelers. Didn't like what he said back then but it hasn't slowed us down one bit.

Good teams win all the time because of the mistakes bad teams make. If nobody made mistakes, everybody would be 6-6.
And for the record, the UVA defender did not have a play on that ball. Smith was behind him and had to go high (at 6'2" no less) to grab it. If he had somehow broken up the pass, we were in easy FG range for the win.
"Game Control" is another opinion based factor that is useless. We are out of the conference title chase because Clemson won. Period. Just win. All else is academic.

Reactions: American Male
What those two games have to do with petrino making a ridiculous statement is beyond me.

Well I didn't figure that you'd understand considering that you ain't very smart. Why would PF bring up something that happened over five years ago and that his family (and Lord apparently) have forgiven him for. And if you believe that the CFP Committee doesn't believe in style points then you are simply wrong. But then again you are wrong so often you must be used to it. Duke and UVA are both poor teams but they are better than Miss State and Vandy and UofL was unfairly punished by the CFP for those close games whereas TexAM was not seriously punished for it's LOSS to Miss. State. Nor was Auburn seriously punished for it's very close game with a piss poor Vandy team. I hate to explain this to you as you'll never get it.

Good teams win all the time because of the mistakes bad teams make. If nobody made mistakes, everybody would be 6-6.
And for the record, the UVA defender did not have a play on that ball. Smith was behind him and had to go high (at 6'2" no less) to grab it. If he had somehow broken up the pass, we were in easy FG range for the win.
"Game Control" is another opinion based factor that is useless. We are out of the conference title chase because Clemson won. Period. Just win. All else is academic.

I'm talking about the fourth down conversion, not the TD.

Well I didn't figure that you'd understand considering that you ain't very smart. Why would PF bring up something that happened over five years ago and that his family (and Lord apparently) have forgiven him for. And if you believe that the CFP Committee doesn't believe in style points then you are simply wrong. But then again you are wrong so often you must be used to it. Duke and UVA are both poor teams but they are better than Miss State and Vandy and UofL was unfairly punished by the CFP for those close games whereas TexAM was not seriously punished for it's LOSS to Miss. State. Nor was Auburn seriously punished for it's very close game with a piss poor Vandy team. I hate to explain this to you as you'll never get it.

Last I checked UL was 7th last week and 6th this week ... Auburn is behind UL at 9th I believe. That is "unfairly punished" in your mind?

Last I checked UL was 7th last week and 6th this week ... Auburn is behind UL at 9th I believe. That is "unfairly punished" in your mind?

Yes. Auburn AND TAM are grossly overrated. Their rating is earned because of the conference they play in, period. And for no other reason.

When you consider OSU's loss to Penn State vs. UL loss to Clemson, I would say ours was the "Better Loss". Yet we seem to have that held against us. And as far as close wins go, didn't Michigan just barely beat Michigan State who has proven to be every bit as bad as Virginia. Just doesn't seem like apples to apples.

Yes. Auburn AND TAM are grossly overrated. Their rating is earned because of the conference they play in, period. And for no other reason.

And that "punishes" UL how?

When you consider OSU's loss to Penn State vs. UL loss to Clemson, I would say ours was the "Better Loss". Yet we seem to have that held against us. And as far as close wins go, didn't Michigan just barely beat Michigan State who has proven to be every bit as bad as Virginia. Just doesn't seem like apples to apples.

OSU has wins over Oklahoma, Wisconsin and Nebraska. Michigan is undefeated and their win over MSU was closer than expected, but Michigan had control of that game from the second quarter on. Louisville has only one win over a ranked team and none over a team over .500 who is not ranked. Add to that UL did not have control over either the Duke or UVA games until the very end. That is the difference.

CardLaw so if teams like Ohio State lets bad teams control them (Northwestern) how come it is not mentioned and held against them ?

Reactions: American Male
CardLaw so if teams like Ohio State lets bad teams control them (Northwestern) how come it is not mentioned and held against them ?

Who says it is not? Since neither you nor I was in the room, we don't kow if OSU would be #4 right now but for that game. I might also add Northwestern is 4-5 as opposed to UVA's 2-7 and OSU had a 7 point lead with over 9 minutes to play which they never relinquished. So, the two games are not completely equal.

Why do you assume there is a different standard applied?

tOSU is good. There are only two real powerhouses in college football this year and they are Alabama and Clemson. Yes, there are a few on the cusp of being really, really good: tOSU, Michigan, Washington, Louisville and that's about it in a down year in college football. Just my opinion.

CardLaw the reason I asked the OSU question is because they had a bad game against a bad team. Then they have a good game against a pretender and they jump over teams. When that happens it makes the system look flawed.

CardLaw the reason I asked the OSU question is because they had a bad game against a bad team. Then they have a good game against a pretender and they jump over teams. When that happens it makes the system look flawed.

Mr. Morality is for everything wrong in football. You're right however. It was OK when they did it the past. As a fan you could always say next year. Now it's become the norm and next year never comes for most schools.

A: The system is flawed

B: Ohio State jumped over no one, except TAMU who lost, following their win over Nebraska

OSU has wins over Oklahoma, Wisconsin and Nebraska. Michigan is undefeated and their win over MSU was closer than expected, but Michigan had control of that game from the second quarter on. Louisville has only one win over a ranked team and none over a team over .500 who is not ranked. Add to that UL did not have control over either the Duke or UVA games until the very end. That is the difference.
"Control". More opinions. Is this any way to name a champion, or playoff teams? Every other sport, and every other level of college football, has a real playoff where conference champs have autobids and there are at large teams included. Why not major college football?

All these people want is the money. They could care less about the competition, history and integrity of the system. They will burn the house down before they give up the money!

It is the false dichotomy petrino used and then Valvano doubled down on yesterday. The issue is not margin of victory. It is about controlling the game against bad teams. Both Louisville and Clemson let bad teams control them until the final second before the bad teams did what bad teams do - fail to make a simple play in front of them. In UVA's case it was the failure to knock down a fourth down pass right in front of the defender and in NCSU's case it was blowing a chip shot FG.

From an outsider, objective point of view, good teams do not rely on bad teams to make late critical mistakes in order to win. If UL or Clemson had won those games by 14 or 17 points controlling the game pretty much from the start of the 4th or earlier I suspect the committee would have been fine with it. But having to catch a break at the end is a negative mark.
Can't disagree with that. I watched the replay of the Wake/ Va game to get some insight on Wake. Va is really bad and it is chilling that we had to win on a last second TD. There is no comparison with the Duke game where Duke skillfully executed their coach's game plan.

All these people want is the money. They could care less about the competition, history and integrity of the system. They will burn the house down before they give up the money!
There a ton more money in a real playoff. Think March Madness X10.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT