ADVERTISEMENT

WKU

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
WKU pretty good team as usual and looking to knock us off...as usual. Curious to see how these Cards respond to the big win on Sunday.
We've still got questions about the staff and it's these mid week games that can maybe bring about some answers or a new arm to add to the mix.

Should be a pretty good game. Go Cards

Reactions: PushupMan
Looks like Knap is sitting this one out. Mac is still tinkering with the lineup.
FrxHrT2agAAkXnd

Couple of thoughts
1. Kilen has an amazing turn at second. He gets the ball out of his glove so quickly and fires a bullet.
2. Phillips. Meh. Seems like there is very little fire from him. Maybe his confidence is not all the way back yet.
3. Grundy got roughed up some; but, love what he brings to the mound.
4. Anderson. Man, if he is hitting the ball how does he sit? RHP he shoukd DH at a minimum. His glove is excellent.
5. I still think Kilen is a better option at short. Better range and arm than Knap.
But…no one who makes decisions cares what I think LOL.

Yeah was hoping for the sake of the team that Phillips had turned it around. Idk,maybe they will all improve with the weather. Hope so,cause there are some concerns about the staff where we sit today.

Reactions: Bardman
Koger looked good tonight. Cook had a nice game. There are many available pieces for CDM to work with. Can they get the bullpen to be steady?

Reactions: earsky
This WKU team has some serious hitters; pitching remains a concern for them. CDM is very friendly with the Hilltoppers staff, and I for one like to see the mutual respect and support with an in-state school when ever possible.

Reactions: earsky and Bardman
I like Coach Mac 'resting' Knap. Using midweek non conference games to inspire better play for the weekend. It's prudent and needed at times. Knap has been struggling a bit lately.
I saw him last night, congratulated him on Sunday's win. He usually will stop and talk.
Translation: he will likely have a big series against ND-as long as they don't cancel it 🙄 😉

I like Coach Mac 'resting' Knap. Using midweek non conference games to inspire better play for the weekend. It's prudent and needed at times. Knap has been struggling a bit lately.
I saw him last night, congratulated him on Sunday's win. He usually will stop and talk.
Translation: he will likely have a big series against ND-as long as they don't cancel it 🙄 😉
His struggles have been both at the plate and in the field. If he's got a shot at going pro, SS isn't where it's at for him. He's a second baseman.

On another note, I am officially turning the page on the schedule. When I printed the schedule off a month ago and posted it by my monitor, it was three pages long. The WKU game represented the end of page one. On to page two. 20 games down, 35 to go.

The weather in South Bend doesn't look that bad this weekend. Friday and Sunday look ok. Cool, but ok. Saturday could be wet and snowy.

Last edited:
His struggles have been both at the plate and in the field. If he's got a shot at going pro, SS isn't where it's at for him. He's a second baseman.

As is the case with a lot of these Junior-Draft eligible guys,they can't help but have one eye on the draft and you can sense it's probably the case with Knap. Take that together with a talented guy nipping at his heels and he's definitely not the free-and-easy version from last season.

Gripping the bat a little tighter,worrying about every throw. He's a joy to watch and I hope he loosens up a little and returns to the Knap we watched last season. The team needs that version. Just try to have some fun and the rest will take care of itself...

Couple of thoughts
1. Kilen has an amazing turn at second. He gets the ball out of his glove so quickly and fires a bullet.
2. Phillips. Meh. Seems like there is very little fire from him. Maybe his confidence is not all the way back yet.
3. Grundy got roughed up some; but, love what he brings to the mound.
4. Anderson. Man, if he is hitting the ball how does he sit? RHP he shoukd DH at a minimum. His glove is excellent.
5. I still think Kilen is a better option at short. Better range and arm than Knap.
But…no one who makes decisions cares what I think LOL.
Regarding #5 specifically and the previous post above, we have been saying for 2 years that Knap is not a SS and he continues to prove us wrong. First, it was Beard, then Noah Smith and Kilen. If those guys were better than Knap at SS, don't you think they would be playing there? He's made it through 2 fall + 2 spring seasons. Yeah Mac loves his players but he's not sacrificing Knap playing at SS with going to Omaha.

There have a been a ton of U of L players, Chris Dominquez, the first one to come to mind that made it to the majors but had to change/switch positions. More recently, Nick Solak plays OF is another. Alex Binelas started at 3rd for us but we moved him to 1st because he made too many errors. Well, now he's playing 3rd for the Red Sox organization.

Knap doesn't have to prove he can play SS or 2B, he just has to play baseball and hit, which he does but more importantly get on base. He's the sparkplug.

Coach Mac is a former infielder and as usual I will defer to his knowledge.

Go Cards!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT