ADVERTISEMENT

Withers

That is crap. Players need to quit blaming others for their failure. Once he owns his stuff he will get better and better. He has had plenty of guidance. Players have to willing to accept coaching. He had a great game now follow up with another and another. He has done this before and disappeared.

If he ever figures out the mental side of the game he will a really good college player with a chance to play overseas.

He's struggled for 3 different coaches that FR season when he was exploiting mismatches vs big men feels like so long ago. Maybe that great FR year messed with his focus and he expected to take a leap that never was. Playing with Jones and Johnson @ G made his job a lot easier back then too. The talent around him decreased and so did his performance. But last night was good to see him get after it.

Withers has been super frustrating to watch these last couple of years. One of the reasons is because he wants to play on the perimeter instead of on the inside where he had his best season freshman year.

He doesn't have the handles, passing, or shooting ability to be truly effective out there, though he has improved his 3 point shooting some. If he just continued rebounding like he did tonight it would be big for this team.

I will say I do get their struggles. There is a lot put on these kids family wise. Sometimes they are perceived or expected to be the family’s way out. They get people outside the program in their ear, you need to do this to get to NBA which is indirect conflict with what coaches tell them.

It is really unfair to the kid. As kid I just wanted to make my parents proud that was tough enough. To be expected to provide an entirely different life for their family is crazy.

I think that is why we are seeing more and more kids take mental breaks from the game. It is really sad if you put things in that perspective.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT