ADVERTISEMENT

Why recruiting is so hot?

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
Louisville football fans have been having lots of fun since Jeff Brohm was hired. The anticipation of a another high flying offense in the Ville has the confidence growing and growing.

But now, fans are even more excited as recruits and transfers appear to be clamoring for a place with the program. We're getting studs all over the place from both the HS ranks and the portal.

Is this because Brohm and company are such great recruiters or is it something else? It's not like the program has been a fixture in the rankings the last five seasons. The Cards rarely get a mention on ESPN anymore.

But it's something and I think I know what it really is.

Lamar Jackson!

About a month ago my niece and her cousins and friends did spring break at Virginia Beach and said it was unreal how much Louisville gear with #8 was being worn by people. Lamar's contract negotiations were a topic of conversation with spring breakers.

Young people today live by the trend and Lamar's signing was a big one, and I believe many young players following it on social media like the thought of playing where #8 won the Heisman trophy. So dudes giving Louisville a closer look when they normally wouldn't, discover a hot coach building a monster and want to be a part of it.

So, Jeff Brohm and what he's building reels them in, but it's Lamar Jackson who has set the hook with so many young players who idolize the superstar QB who bucked the system to be the highest paid dude in the NFL.

We fans all knew when Lamar won that Heisman that it was going to have a lasting impact on the program, but it took a few years and a new coach before really paying dividends.

And I for one am psyched! Can't wait for September.

^ This.

And what became old is new again. Win a lot and ESPN will be back on the train again too. This years schedule has several week day games on it...so that means ESPN will be back in play. Win and have some inspired loud rowdy crowds and the Cards will become the new kids on the block again!

Who'd have thunk it???

Reactions: earsky
We have a young and aggressive staff that are working multiple routes that have not existed before. For example, Satterfield had very little, if any relationship outside of his NC roots. Conversely the Brohms brought relationships with them in BIG 10 recruiting grounds which compliment what they already have in the traditional ACC and SEC towns where football is fertile.

I am sure there are NIL opportunities that play a significant factor for a few HS recruits as well as Transfers, but think about how those considering their school selection can see the stability with Jeff, Greg and Brian enjoying the long term security at UL. In comparison, most witnessed Satterfield as having one foot at UL, and his other foot somewhere else.

For the first time in my long association with UL; we have a coaching staff that is not inclined to leave after experiencing success. I honestly believe that single factor has haunted this football program as far back as memory allows.

I remember Greg and Gary Nord both expressing this very sentiment years ago, as so many coveted recruits shared that as the primary reason they elected to go elsewhere.

i prefer weeknighters to be on the road; bumps the local bar economy.

I think the optimism stems from the recent portal success because it: 1. took a position that seemed fairly good and straight up turned it into a deep group in the secondary, and 2. took a Spring Practice tryout and determined it needed to really be boosted to compete with Notre Dame and by extension FSU and Clemson if the dream opportunity presented itself. What once took years to overcome--empty classes of defensive linemen like we saw under Petrino's last year, offensive line misses like we saw with Strong--took a week under Brohm.

The Portal has changed everything. Yes, this Portal is the instrument by which Brohm obtained the required level of talented depth for 2023 season ……but we should all acknowledge that every other program in America has much of the same opportunities as Brohm and UL have, but this staff is working to attract those parts we need.

Lamar's success can't hurt. And he's one of the most entertaining to watch. HS kids do probably love some Lamar.

But he's been gone 5 years and been killing it in the NFL ever since he joined it. No significant recruiting spike until now.

It's probably the NIL. And yeah, the staff is new so you have that hit the ground running with the portal thing happening. Which is probably aided by NIL too.

I still think Lamar's contract battle with ownership had a profound effect on a lot of these players. Loving all things Lamar, they gave Louisville football a closer look and saw what Brohm is building.

And it doesn't hurt the NIL possibilities with a city school that has great facilities. Young people don't need a lot of convincing and if the vibe feels real good, they're ready to commit. Taking their time and looking around is not so much a good vibe.

Multiple factors but I am surprised how well they have done.

I think they finally have a coach that legit is not going anywhere. It is one less bullet in the other teams negative recruiting gun.

They are a legit ACC threat with the right players.

This staff and program puts players in the Pro’s. They did it at WKU and Purdue. Then you look at the Louisville football program success in putting players in the pro’s players take notice. They have put a lot of high quality guys in the pros.

NIL is a factor and I don’t think they misrepresent it.

I think they really are shooting for a ACC title game this year. Not sure they can accomplish that but if they do it will only get better from there.

Reactions: Mayoman
I want to gloat a bit. As some of us thought, bringing Jeff home had all the early signs it would be special. After the Petrino debacle, there was no one with the Louisville connection that could restore this program back to the Orange Bowl feeling we had. Satterfield hire never moved the needle for me. Rightly so, a lot of fans questioned his record at Purdue as being just averaged but under a microscope he was able to pull of upset after upset, managed to recruit in a Ohio St/Michigan/Michigan St/Wisconsin/Iowa conference. Why? He is an offensive genius and players naturally want to play for a coach that adds excitement. It was one of the traits that attracted us to Bobby 1.0. But unlike Bobby, Jeff is a hometown hero. He's intense, he's passionate, he's what you want in a football coach. He's brought energy to the town and the community. He's under a tremendous amount of pressure to produce but he won't back down. If the success doesn't translate to the field, it's not because he didnt work his butt off.

I'm good with most of the arguments in CJB's favor expressed in this thread. I'm not necessarily in agreement as far as NIL unless someone can share specific info...

i prefer weeknighters to be on the road; bumps the local bar economy.

I think the optimism stems from the recent portal success because it: 1. took a position that seemed fairly good and straight up turned it into a deep group in the secondary, and 2. took a Spring Practice tryout and determined it needed to really be boosted to compete with Notre Dame and by extension FSU and Clemson if the dream opportunity presented itself. What once took years to overcome--empty classes of defensive linemen like we saw under Petrino's last year, offensive line misses like we saw with Strong--took a week under Brohm.
Wait till you all realize what we realized at Purdue .. his offensive line and defensive coaches always suck.

Talented linemen tend to make the coaches look fine.

There is no real comparison with what Brohm was doing at Purdue and here at Louisville. This is his dream job, not a stepping stone. Purdue was never going to keep Brohm very long. It's just a fact. Believe us Louisville fans. We've seen it over and over.

But now with the local star and former Cardinal leading the way, that is over. Plummer is a one year guy. This is a QB school and Brohm will get his own Lamar Jackson and Teddy Bridgewater.

Only sour grapes would have you downplaying the direction of our two programs.

Jeff Brohm is going to win those games.

Copy-of-FROM-THE-PINK-SEATS-2.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT