Howie Lindsey

Elite Member
Silver Member
May 29, 2001
Louisville, KY
www.cardinalsports.com
From the Chicago Tribune....

Wayne Blackshear is a man on a mission.

You can hear it in the tone of his voice, the conviction in his words.

He's determined to prove he has the skills to play in the NBA — no matter how underwhelming his college career is perceived.

"I'm not thinking about playing overseas or playing in a developmental league," said Blackshear, a 2011 Morgan Park graduate. "I'm going to make an NBA roster. I know what I can do and what I have to offer. I have to stay focused and be in the right mindset. I believe in myself."

All he has to do now is convince the San Antonio Spurs.

MVCC, Lockport graduate Richaun Holmes takes different path to NBA

After being bypassed in Thursday's NBA draft, Blackshear signed a free-agent deal Friday with the Spurs and will participate in their upcoming summer leagues in Utah and Las Vegas.

"I had an extremely great workout with the Spurs," said Blackshear, who worked out for nine NBA teams before the draft. "The Spurs were calling my agent (Aaron Turner) right away. I'm going to show them everything I've got."

Which is something he really was never able to do during his four years at Louisville under coach Rick Pitino.

lRelated

SOUTHTOWN SPORTS
Michigan State-bound Marty Bechina powers up for Catholic League stars

SEE ALL RELATED

If you recall, Blackshear was one of the most sought-after high school prospects in the country. A five-star recruit, there wasn't much the 6-foot-5, 215-pound guard couldn't do on a basketball court.

Drive to the basket? Check.

Score in the post? Check.

Run the floor? Check.

Knock down a 3-pointer? Check.

He was a nightmare to defend.

Blackshear was a top-15 national prospect and McDonald's All-American who averaged 32.6 points and 14 rebounds his senior year at Morgan Park.

"Wayne was incredible for us," Morgan Park coach Nick Irvin said. "He can do so much on the court. He's a great defender. One of the greatest players I've ever coached."

cComments
  • It is unfortunate, if not heartbreaking, this newspaper traveled this path when there are so many wonderful things to say about Wayne Blackshear past his tremendous career at Morgan Park. At Louisville he is one of the most decorated Cardinals we have ever had: a National Championship, 2...
    ABBYOLDMAN
    AT 1:43 PM JULY 07, 2015
ADD A COMMENTSEE ALL COMMENTS

All you need to know about Blackshear's time at Louisville is that the best numbers he posted during any one season were 11.6 points and 4.3 rebounds his senior year. For his career, he averaged 8.3 points and 3.2 rebounds — numbers he generally produced in one quarter of a high school game.

However, with Blackshear in the lineup, the Cardinals won — a lot. In the 126 games he played, Louisville was 102-24, winning three conference championships. The Cardinals won a national title his sophomore season.

"I sacrificed my game a lot at Louisville for team success," Blackshear said. "I tried to fit in too much. I really couldn't show what I could do. I don't regret it. I won a national championship. Played in two Final Fours and scored more than 1,000 points in my career. But I wasn't myself."

At Louisville, Blackshear primarily was a spot-up shooter, often camping out beyond the 3-point line. He was a square peg in a round hole playing in Pitino's system.

Ironically, it was in his final game at Louisville, an Elite Eight loss to Michigan State, that Blackshear flashed his former style, pouring in 28 points.

"He looked like his old self," Irvin said.

Blackshear admits there were stretches he was extremely frustrated, contemplating whether to quit or transfer.

That would have been the easy route — the selfish route.

Blackshear focused on the big picture. He was an academic All-American playing in one of the most passionate college basketball cities in the nation.

"Going through everything I did at Louisville made me a stronger person," said Blackshear, who earned a degree in communications. "Playing for coach Pitino … it was tough. He wants to get the best out of you. He pushed me to new heights and made me a tougher person.

"But I believe I should have had more opportunities to show what I could do. I had to become a spot-up shooter in college — that's not me. I learned to keep my mouth shut and keep moving forward."

Irvin watched Blackshear work out about a week ago and is confident his former prized pupil will open the eyes of the Spurs' decision-makers.

"Definitely, he has what it takes to make it," Irvin said. "Wayne plays the game the right way. He's a tough kid. I think he'll do fine."

Blackshear is a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Attending Louisville is part of the big picture that includes a career in the NBA.

"It's been a long road, but I'm getting my opportunity," Blackshear said. "I've had a lot of ups and downs at Louisville, but I've been blessed. Everyone who knows me knows what I can do on the court. I was one of the best players in the country coming out of high school.

"I have no doubts I'm going to make the (Spurs) roster."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News