ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: Funkhouser will start Friday

Howie Lindsey

Elite Member
Silver Member
May 29, 2001
Louisville, KY
www.cardinalsports.com
Louisville baseball head coach Dan McDonnell announced today that sophomore righty Kyle Funkhouser will start Friday's NCAA Regional opener against Kent State. First pitch between the Cardinals and Golden Flashes is set for 6 p.m., ET at Jim Patterson Stadium in Louisville.

I think it is the right reason if only though because we don't really have a better option. Had Ruxer not been hurt, then I could see a possibility of him starting on Friday, but Kidston is a real gamble if only because he was hurt early in the season. Rogers has pitched better but he is still a freshman, you just don't know how he would respond, but in similar pressure type starts, he lost both games to UK. Harrington is a FR too and he did not do well in his start in the AAC championship game. So it is really a decision by elimination. Now, I would expect Kidston to start against UK, when we win our 1st game and if UK gets by Kansas.

Go Cards!

Sucks about Ruxer. If the Cards play UK - playing solid defense and hitting the ball will do wonders. I'd like to know if UK is throwing Reed v. Kansas. Same principle as - you have to win that first game to give yourself a fighting chance. Kidston and Funk are both very solid. Let's hope the guys pound the ball on Friday and Funk can just pitch 3 or 4 innings.

Originally posted by jmmcgr02:
Uk is saving reed for saturday
Yes, Cats going with RH Kyle Cody in tomorrows' opener, Kansas is very much a righty hitting ball club. Cody since coming back from an arm injury, has been very good. He is 4-0 with a 2.65 era, and hit 97mph a few times at the SEC tourney last week in Hoover.

Yeah, they have announced that they are saving Reed. I hope it backfires on them and he is pitching against Kent St in the Loser bracket. Nothing I wan't to see more then that. If CDM moves Kid to Saturday, I'm not a bit worried. If we hit, we will win with Kid on the mound. Wouldn't be as confident with Rogers going against uk. But Rogers would be 1-1 against them if the defense played better. Errors cost us that game. Rogers pitched well that game. I think CDM will pitch Kid Saturday, Rogers Sunday, and Funk again on Monday if it goes to that. That's my hope at least.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT