ADVERTISEMENT

U of L says "Kenny Payne equals no pain!"...

the artist FKA zipp

4500+
Gold Member
May 29, 2022
At least financially speaking. How can that be?

Basketball total revenue 2021-22: $23.49 million​
Total 2022-23: $23.79 million
---> $300,000 gain

These numbers, from the final FY2023 quarterly report.

We all witnessed the depressing environment and some of the ridiculous "crowds" at 2nd & Main this past season. Reported attendance was down 6% year over year. Did they use smoke and mirrors on the math?

Perhaps. I mean these guys wanna see a hometown guy and an AA coach succeed. If they can keep from losing revenue in a year like last year, how does he need to achieve any goals as far as wins and season results?

Sure makes it harder to financially justify a buyout when loss of revenue is supposed to be the savings.

Buckle up, this guy's gonna be here awhile...

This was the potential elephant in the room from the very beginning. Call it an experiment or whatever it is, but whichever way it was going to go it didn't figure to end overnight.

You've got a program in complete shambles that gradually got here, where leaders made wrong decisions at nearly every turn. It's hard to say which decision was the worst there have been so many.

This is not the program it once was and priorities have changed. Financials are over my head the lights remain on as you say and look at that product last year. Granted $ was already spent prior to those results so who knows what direction all that goes.

For fans they have choices they need to make. Overall the entire product/landscape is so different from what it was when we originally "bought in" so with that people are going to evaluate what they put into it.

Basically if you get served cold food you don't gotta eat it. And if that's the path this thing goes for awhile then people can hang in there with it or find other things to do.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
There's no question in my mind that the basketball program has seen its best days for a long time. Everything comes around, and 20 years from now, who knows where everything and everyone will be.

But this isn't a program that's bouncing back quickly, and nothing about it is being managed that way. If U of L basketball stabilizes where it is financially, there's no incentive within U of L to make any hasty decisions with Kenny Payne.

It won't surprise me if he way underperforms and still finishes his contract. They'll just blame it on Pitino and scandals, and keep cashing checks...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT