ADVERTISEMENT

U of L and LPT Spring Games...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
The U of L starters were 66 points better than their reserves.

The LPT starters were 11 points better than their reserves.

Conclusions?

LPT Football: Never making anyone look bad in practice...

Reactions: Louisvillian
Yeah, and I think they had somewhere in the neighborhood of 150,000 in attendance also. It had to look like Derby Day up there yesterday.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: Louisvillian
UK's game was their 'Super Bowl' and the only Bowl game they have to play in this year.:oops:

I don't know anything about their game, the way they implement it. Petrino has always had the starters beating up the backups in his Spring Games. Not everyone does it that way. Howard used to always have the offense against the defense, with each being able to score. Those games were competitive. Do you know for a fact uk had all of the starters playing reserves? You act as if each staff set the spring game up in the exact same way, maybe they did, I don't know. You just can't assume they're the same.

Anyway, I might give your post more merit if it weren't obvious you have an agenda which is 'look at how much good there was in our game and how much bad was in their game'. That would be your take no matter what happened. Your 'fan' opinion was made up before either spring game ever even happened which means your take is useless. Unless you actually watched uk's scrimmage than what would you know? I never saw uk's, I have no idea what to make up their's, how would you? Are you basing this on more than just seeing the 'score' of their game?

As someone who is not a UK hater (for football), I was recently thinking about this very topic.

UofL looked every bit as good as most fans hoped. No disappointments at all. Primed for a great run and will be competitive with anyone (barring injury -- especially Lamar). Still concerns about backup QB but Bolin has proven that he is competent if nothing else.

UK looked mediocre at best. Granted that Boom did not play but the QB's were not impressive and the offense was underwhelming. The defense did not look as pathetic as last year but it wasn't anything that showed particular promise either, especially considering the unimpressive offensive opposing it. Still doesn't appear that it will be able to handle a dual threat QB. But there is an underlying theme that is very concerning for UK. Towles and others left b/c the "locker room" didn't support them. And the much heralded S&C coach, with his mind blowing program that was going to churn out Drago (Rocky V) style athletes, also left b/c the "locker room" didn't support him. There seems to be a real problem in letting the inmates run the asylum and it does not bode well for success. For those UK fans predicting a 6 win season with this team, and especially with this year's schedule, there will probably be disappointment. Stoops is on the hot seat irrespective of whether the UK AD decides to get rid of him after this year's campaign or keep him for yet another season. The signs are impossible to ignore and not promising.

Reactions: genowe
What is really hilarious is that the Mildcats' Spring game was broadcast on WHAS Radio yesterday. Talk about 'must listen radio', "Barker back to pass...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Well obviously it's because UK has more quality depth than we do. It makes the first and second teams more balanced. Duh

:) <Please note the smiley face

Reactions: teamcanada
And those 4000 Mildcat fans that were at that snooze fest could have been at Keeneland on a beautiful spring day drinking a cold beer, betting on horses and enjoying the scenery. :eek:

Reactions: American Male
Another packed day for Lexington football. Clearly, there are more than 28,000 fans there.

CgLMZXxWIAAs62S.jpg

Reactions: zipp
I watched some of the UK scrimmage and I am almost feeling bad for them. Barker is not a Division 1 college QB but the Houck kid looked like he might be OK. The WR'S still drop ever other pass.Elam is the biggest bust , literally, I have seen in a long time. The defense will have a hard time stopping anything with a pulse. The big thing I noticed was the lack of discipline among the players in the huddle and on the sidelines. The Cats seem to regress every year under Stoops. It's like watching Kragthorpe part Deux.

I know for sure that some "reliable" uahkay fan will show us where those 150,000 fans are.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

I was is listening to WLAP sports talk show his morning and even these UK hacks were embarrassed by the fact they are still sounding the "Air Raid" siren after each score. Still yearning for the cheating Hal Mumme days.

I don't know anything about their game, the way they implement it. Petrino has always had the starters beating up the backups in his Spring Games. Not everyone does it that way. Howard used to always have the offense against the defense, with each being able to score. Those games were competitive. Do you know for a fact uk had all of the starters playing reserves? You act as if each staff set the spring game up in the exact same way, maybe they did, I don't know. You just can't assume they're the same...
Oh, I just dream up all this ish before I post it...

"...The Cats’ coach was in a joking mood after the Blue Team starters defeated the White Team reserves 30-21 at Commonwealth Stadium on Saturday..."

LINK

Just because you "don't know anything", don't necessarily assume no one else does. :rolleyes:
...Anyway, I might give your post more merit if it weren't obvious you have an agenda which is 'look at how much good there was in our game and how much bad was in their game'. That would be your take no matter what happened....
So, if you knew what my conclusion was going to be and that my post lacks merit without reading it, why do you bother to click on it/them? That's what the "ignore" feature is for, so you don't even have to SEE my posts. Try it.

LPT Football: Looks better with blinders on...

Just read UK Eric's post about the Cats spring practice and even he can't pump any sunshine about it. All we need now is for Bill to get on here and explain how the gap has closed.

I don't know how good the Cats or Cards will be this season, but if you're going to be sorely disappointed if you take much from a spring game.

Reactions: mwatson61
I told my boss (who's a big UK football fan) that if UK doesn't go to a bowl game this year that Mark Stoops either should be on the hot seat. He agreed w/me.

That pic that JohnCard28 posted is a very sad tale of a "SEC" football crowd.

This is a make or break season for Kentucky and Mark Stoops and thats not a good place to be in based on what I've read about this current UK roster. At some point Stoops has got to take a positive step forward on the field and stop living off of the idea that he's a good recruiter. All the high ranking recruits in the world can't help you if you have no idea how to coach them or utilize their skills.

Keep in mind that the "Stoops problem" is only exacerbated by the fact that idiot Barnhardt gave him that ridiculous $21.45 million dollar contract that runs through 2019-20 and pays over $4 million a year in 2018 and 2019. Even if UK goes 0-12 this year they still can't afford to fire him. If they would have fired him this year they would have owed him $15.5 million... If he's fired after this year they owe him $12 million....if he's fired before the end of the 2018 season he gets $6.6 million. Basically UK either has to pony up a lot of money to pay Stoops to not coach if he's fired before the end of the 2018 season...meaning he's nearly certainly here another 2 seasons, with 3 seasons seeming likely as I can't even imagine UK paying over $6 million to fire a football coach.

This is a make or break season for Kentucky and Mark Stoops and thats not a good place to be in based on what I've read about this current UK roster. At some point Stoops has got to take a positive step forward on the field and stop living off of the idea that he's a good recruiter. All the high ranking recruits in the world can't help you if you have no idea how to coach them or utilize their skills.

Keep in mind that the "Stoops problem" is only exacerbated by the fact that idiot Barnhardt gave him that ridiculous $21.45 million dollar contract that runs through 2019-20 and pays over $4 million a year in 2018 and 2019. Even if UK goes 0-12 this year they still can't afford to fire him. If they would have fired him this year they would have owed him $15.5 million... If he's fired after this year they owe him $12 million....if he's fired before the end of the 2018 season he gets $6.6 million. Basically UK either has to pony up a lot of money to pay Stoops to not coach if he's fired before the end of the 2018 season...meaning he's nearly certainly here another 2 seasons, with 3 seasons seeming likely as I can't even imagine UK paying over $6 million to fire a football coach.

I agree Strongtino, The Cats need to make a bowl this year.
I don't know if Stoops should be on the hot seat if they don't however. The team could be improved, but not make a bowl game simply because the schedule is tougher this year.

I do agree about the contract for Stoops, too much too soon.

The team could be improved, but not make a bowl game simply because the schedule is tougher this year.

Oh really? 3 ooc tomato cans, Vandy, Mizzou, SC MSU and us (according to your fans you should never lose to us) and 6 is too hard? What a joke of a program! Any team with a pulse in a P5 should get 6. Almost have to try not to.

Oh really? 3 ooc tomato cans, Vandy, Mizzou, SC MSU and us (according to your fans you should never lose to us) and 6 is too hard? What a joke of a program! Any team with a pulse in a P5 should get 6. Almost have to try not to.

MSU is a solid football team, but it's at home and they lost their QB, still a tough game.

Mizzou has a new coach, but it's on the road.

USC like Mizzou is an unknown at this point. They have good players, but how will the new coach be. It's at home so that's a plus.

Vandy should be a win, but they do play solid defense.

I don't think UK should never lose to Louisville, you have a solid football program.

MSU is a solid football team, but it's at home and they lost their QB, still a tough game.

Mizzou has a new coach, but it's on the road.

USC like Mizzou is an unknown at this point. They have good players, but how will the new coach be. It's at home so that's a plus.

Vandy should be a win, but they do play solid defense.

I don't think UK should never lose to Louisville, you have a solid football program.
All teams mentioned above have a better head coach than Stoooops! That's your problem Bill.

I don't see why this is a make or break year for Mark Stoops. He's not doing anything different than any other UofK coach in the past several years. They never have cared about football up until what last season? Why care now? Fire Stoops and what happens next? Another Coaching change with more of the same. Losing. I mean their program really is a lost cause. Don't fire a coach who is fighting a losing battle from day 1. Keep him around if he enjoys the humiliation of coaching an eternal doormat.

I think he likes the money more than anything. If I was their AD, just hire a HS coach for less. Ole Miss did this and their team is light years better than LPT. If it's the wrong hire, you just saved millions more than Barnfart did. Go Cards!

I really like UKEric but he could find sunlight on a moonless night. His analysis is always insightful; but his conclusions are usually a bit off.
When I saw what his observations were about this years team after Spring practice (which happen to coincide with mine), I was a little shocked. It is noteworthy that he can also see multiple problems with this team through his (usually) blue tinted glasses. But it is only Spring and anyone getting too amped up or down in the dumps before the season starts is putting too much stock into things. It's kind of like getting too excited for verbal commits before NSD -- it might give you optimism (or not) but not worth getting worked up until someone is official b/c they can and often do flip for and against you. (And UK has felt this pain more than most teams lately, which won't get better if Stoops continues the status quo does not overachieve this season).
Seriously, if you have the desire, check out UKEric's game analysis before any UK game that might interest you -- they are pretty good.
BTW, I'm now a "troll" over there for having realistic expectations this year based upon what I've seen to date.

If it hadn't been for the Kragthorpe years, this UofL football program would have already buried UofK's. That shows everyone just how important it is to have a head coach who is competent.

I agree, but Kragthorpe and Stoops stepped into 2 entirely different situations.
Krag took over a team that had just won a BCS bowl with most of the key positions being back including a talented and experienced senior QB.
Stoops inherited a program in bad shape where the coach had gotten fired.

I'm not saying Stoops shouldn't feel pressure at this point, just pointing out the different circumstances.

I agree, but Kragthorpe and Stoops stepped into 2 entirely different situations.
Krag took over a team that had just won a BCS bowl with most of the key positions being back including a talented and experienced senior QB.

I'm not saying Stoops shouldn't feel pressure at this point, just pointing out the different circumstances.
Well, thanks for that enlightenment. :rolleyes:

Stoops is in year 4 and has shown 0% player development. After watching the spring game I think he is about to put his worse team yet on the field. A starting QB who would be at best 4th string at Louisville. WR's who drop every other pass and a defense that will be one of the worst in college football + no discipline. It's going to be a long year until Big Blew madness

The pressure on Stoops shouldn't just be to win more games. I mean they've been a football program for 120+ years and played in 15 bowl games....winning games at Kentucky is very difficult and its not something very many coaches have done in their history. Kentucky plays in the toughest conference in the country and...even though their fans may not want to acknowledge it or admit it...they have one of the bottom tier "Power 5" programs in the country. They're a program with no history, no in state talent, at a basketball first school in a football first conference....changing over a century of losing tradition isn't going to be done over night and its ESPECIALLY not going to be done over night in the SEC. So to expect Stoops to come in and just start sending UK to bowl games (for reference UK goes to a bowl game about once every 8 years on average) after 2-3 seasons is sort of crazy.

Now, what Stoops has had fall in his lap that has been really, really rare for the state of Kentucky is having highly rated in-state talent be available as soon as he took the job. Its rare that kids like Drew Barker, Tate Leavitt, Landon Young, Matt Elam, Kash Daniel, etc were produced in Kentucky. So he's benefited greatly from a rare insurgance of in state talent. He's been very impressive on the recruiting trail but it seems to me that he and Vince Marrow probably aren't the best coaches to scout talent. They're either relying too much on rankings, are terrible scouts, or they have absolutely no ability to coach and develop talent. We're coming into Stoops 4th season and you would be hard pressed to find a single player who's gotten substantially better. Maybe I'm spoiled because Bobby Petrino is one of the best coaches in the country at not relying on rankings or stars and relying more on his scouting ability and system fit but Stoops has been terrible at developing talent.

Another aspect Stoops has been terrible at is actual in game coaching and management. Stoops made the huge-huge mistake when he was hired - as a first time HC - that he brought in young, inexperienced position coaches and coordinators. Kentucky was basically an entire coaching staff of men that had no idea how to coach, game plan or manage a team. Bringing in Eddie Gran should help with that some but he still doesn't have a ton of experience on his staff and its shown these past 3 years. Petrino basically ran the same plays all game last year - just out of different formations and Stoops was completely clueless as to how to stop them. Not only that but his golden boy QB, his 4-star Army All American - who redshirted and has been with UK for 2 years was absolutely destroyed by a 3 star kid who had been on campus 4-5 months by the time he took the field that day.

Stoops has been bad - 0-9 against UL, UT and UF, 1-2 vs Vandy...4-20 vs the SEC losing by 20 points per game . Stoops has been bad....here's what I've told all of my UK friends that are big football guys....completely forget that Stoops has recruited well at Kentucky the last 4 years...look at his stats and remember what you've seen from him these 3 seasons. If you completely remove his recruiting classes from the equation he's been a train wreck. Stoops doesn't necessarily need to take UK to a bowl game - like I said thats a rare occurrence in its own right. He just has to show signs that he's a competent HC. He has to not allow his team to collapse during the second half of the season or make dumb coaching decisions during games or come out of timeouts with 9 guys on the field or not completely bungle the goal line offense or begin to show that some of these highly ranked kids have actually gotten better. UK doesn't have to win 6 games this year to show improvement...they literally just have to show signs that the program is headed in the right direction. Because the last 3 years have been small glimpses of moving forward, surrounded by huge glimpses that the program is a complete dumpster fire and Stoops isn't close to capable of putting it out.

That is true, and that is why Kragthorpe had to go after just 3 years. He was handed the keys to a really nice program and destroyed it in short order. He was replaced by a winner in Charlie Strong who reversed the damage as quickly as it occurred.

Stoops IS Kragthorpe Part II for UofK.

Brooks won his 6 or 7 games a year with smoke and mirrors by scheduling cream puff wins OOC AND while enjoying Kragthorpe's tenure at UofL. Brooks still went 2-4 or 3-3 in SEC play every year if I'm not mistaken. Joker Phillips wasn't able to do anything with Brooks' leftovers against UofL because Kragthorpe was fired and replaced by a competent head coach.

Phillips was UofK's 1st Kragthorpe. Now you have your second one in a row. That's life. If only you guys had a competent athletic director who knew something about football.

Last edited:
That is true, and that is why Kragthorpe had to go after just 3 years. He was handed the keys to a really nice program and destroyed it in short order. He was replaced by a winner in Charlie Strong who reversed the damage as quickly as it occurred.

Stoops IS Kragthorpe Part II for UofK.

Brooks won his 6 or 7 games a year with smoke and mirrors by scheduling cream puff wins OOC AND while enjoying Kragthorpe's tenure at UofL. Brooks still went 2-4 or 3-3 in SEC play every year if I'm not mistaken. Joker Phillips wasn't able to do anything with Brooks' leftovers against UofL because Kragthorpe was fired and replaced by a competent head coach.

Phillips was UofK's 1st Kragthorpe. Now you have your second one in a row. That's life. If only you guys had a competent athletic director who knew something about football.

I agree with this for the most part. Brooks was a well seasoned and smart coach...something neither Joker nor Stoops is. But Brooks benefited by playing in a much more top heavy SEC. Hugh Freeze and Dan Mullen weren't at the Mississippi schools...TAMU and Missouri were in the Big 12. But Brooks had some big wins...UGA in 2006, UL and LSU in 2007, UGA in 2009....but I think in the modern era of the SEC its going to be very, very difficult for Kentucky to rise above the 6-7 mark if they continue to play Louisville every year. I'm not saying UK will never beat UL but, statistically speaking if they played for the next 10 years UL is probably going to win 7-8 of those 10 games. So Kentucky goes into SEC play nearly every season needing to beat 3 SEC teams just to be bowl eligible...sounds simple enough but when you consider that every time but once (Vandy) that Kentucky takes the field in the SEC they are the underdog and are facing a more talented team. So basically they have to beat Vandy every year (which they haven't in recent years) and "upset" 2 more teams just to be bowl eligible.

If Kentucky were smart they would drop the Louisville series for a while until they build their program back to a respectable level. Replace the UL game with another cupcake, go into SEC play at 4-0, beat Vandy and try and pull another win from one of the bigger schools having a down year.

Reactions: Senore2006
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT