ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Shough signs with UofL

BPGhost

6000+
Jun 23, 2015
The 7th year senior (😳) from Texas Tech announced his intention to transfer to UofL.

He turns 25 next September and has played at both Oregon and Texas Tech since starting his college career in 2018. In his three seasons at Texas Tech, all of which were cut short by injuries, he started 13 games and went 9-4 as a starter.

He earned the MVP of the Texas Bowl in a victory over Ole Miss after the 2022 season, throwing for 242 yards and accounting for three touchdowns.

Shough began his career at Oregon. He threw for 4,625 yards and 36 touchdowns in 27 career games combined at the two schools. His career completion percentage is more than 63%.

Shough is a former ESPN 300 recruit from the Class of 2018. He's 6-foot-5 and 230 pounds and is from Chandler, Arizona.

Another big QB. Wonder what - if anything - this indicates about Brohm’s thoughts on Clarkson being the guy moving forward?

I'm sure Brohm will give Clarkson the chance to beat Shough out for the job, and I'm sure Shough knows that is a possibility.

This seems like a obvious move for Brohm if he believes in Clarkson. Shough is a typical backup but capable of starting if needed. If Brohm went after a transfer still eligible for multiple seasons, he would be recruiting around Clarkson.

So for now, Shough is a incumbent but Clarkson already knows the playbook. There will be a QB contest at spring practice.

But does anyone think Brohm won't bring in another QB? As FSU showed, you need to have a worthy 3rd QB.

Reactions: SpotHogCard
Apparently Clarkson will have 6 more years to win the starting job so no hurry. 7 years, seriously? He should be working on his doctorate by now.

I don’t get why people want to rush Clarkson. Also, let’s be honest we have no clue if he can play at this level. Ideally you want to develop QB’s. If Brohm brought in a transfer that was legit proven QB that had 2-3 eligibility then Clarkson and Allen may end up transferring. A 1 year QB isn’t an issue they have a chance to win the job or learn.

If I was 4-star QB out of high school I am looking at rosters and making sure I land at a place the gets me on the field. My value is in 2-3 years not in year 1-2. Coaches at the power 5 level have to win they can’t go 4-8 trying to develop you.

The 7th year senior (😳) from Texas Tech announced his intention to transfer to UofL.

He turns 25 next September and has played at both Oregon and Texas Tech since starting his college career in 2018. In his three seasons at Texas Tech, all of which were cut short by injuries, he started 13 games and went 9-4 as a starter.

He earned the MVP of the Texas Bowl in a victory over Ole Miss after the 2022 season, throwing for 242 yards and accounting for three touchdowns.

Shough began his career at Oregon. He threw for 4,625 yards and 36 touchdowns in 27 career games combined at the two schools. His career completion percentage is more than 63%.

Shough is a former ESPN 300 recruit from the Class of 2018. He's 6-foot-5 and 230 pounds and is from Chandler, Arizona.

Another big QB. Wonder what - if anything - this indicates about Brohm’s thoughts on Clarkson being the guy moving forward?
I think this just gives Brohm another guy to help tutor Clarkson so he's ready to play when his time comes. I know Clarkson's dad was initially in favor of redshirting him but not sure if he thought it would take 2 seasons. I kind of wish we had done something like we did with Lefors and Brohm. Give Clarkson a series or two. Maybe that would have kept Plummer honest and focused.

Reactions: BPGhost

This guy was very highly regarded as a pro prospect at one time. The thing that concerns me about him is he has thrown a lot of interceptions. I hope he doesn't turn out to be JP2.0. The weird thing is he is from Chandler, AZ which I believe is where JP is from.

didn't we have 11 qb's play in a game this year and we still have to find a new one?
Well, that was the Murray state game and it was pretty clear none were good enough to supplant Plummer.

Conley and Domann were the only real options had Plummer got injured. I think all Cards fans knew that the portal would probably be needed again for QB.

The only question is Clarkson good enough to take over? He didn't see the field in that Murray game, so probably not. It shouldn't surprise anyone that Brohm signed a transfer QB for next season.

Well, that was the Murray state game and it was pretty clear none were good enough to supplant Plummer.

Conley and Domann were the only real options had Plummer got injured. I think all Cards fans knew that the portal would probably be needed again for QB.

The only question is Clarkson good enough to take over? He didn't see the field in that Murray game, so probably not. It shouldn't surprise anyone that Brohm signed a transfer QB for next season.
Clarkson got in for 8 snaps in the Murray game. We played 9 QBs that night.

Reactions: glassmanJ
Here's my take and it sounds harsh. Brohm get on the phone and talk up Plummer to the NFL scouts, Canadian football league, Arena league, flag football league or whoever. Get Plummer an invite to the Senior Bowl or any other bowl he can play in. However, please drop him off in Arizona on our way to San Diego to go to the Bowl game. He has nothing left to prove and we need to get a look at other QB's. Thank you Jack and good luck! Appreciate what you did for us this year.

Reactions: OldhamCard335
Here's my take and it sounds harsh. Brohm get on the phone and talk up Plummer to the NFL scouts, Canadian football league, Arena league, flag football league or whoever. Get Plummer an invite to the Senior Bowl or any other bowl he can play in. However, please drop him off in Arizona on our way to San Diego to go to the Bowl game. He has nothing left to prove and we need to get a look at other QB's. Thank you Jack and good luck! Appreciate what you did for us this year.
If we have to play Plummer the entire bowl game to win it then DO IT ! We need to WIN that game not train guys for next year.

If we have to play Plummer the entire bowl game to win it then DO IT ! We need to WIN that game not train guys for next year.
I would like to see someone else taking snaps in that game but I definitely agree winning that game is important for not only next year's starting position but also recruiting and not ending with 3 losses in a row to end this year

Reactions: nccardfan
If Pierce is ready and stronger I believe CJB will use him as Brian Brown was used when Before was the starting qb. Before has Pierces build.

I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer. I don’t know how much a win matters in bowls but never hurts to beat a brand like USC. It is an opportunity.

My guess is there will be an open competition for the job in the Spring and JB will probably name the expected starter shortly after.

At that point I'd expect to see a few that lose the competition to transfer again.

Reactions: UofLouisville
Uh... Why do you think playing Plummer gets us a win? He's down trending and seems to have lost a lot of confidence in our last 3 possessions. Give him some snaps if we must but this game is for next season. You cannot not get Clarkson in the game for meaningful minutes.

Reactions: TPACardsFan
No, I was actually thinking he looked undersized and the ball looked like it lacked velocity...but a very small sample size, so no conclusions drawn.
Looked small to me too. I think they list him at 6FT. But I suspect he is about 5'10. That does not mean he can't be a really good QB though.

Sunbelt Scotty‘s DC at UC. 😉
Are you being sarcastic? I thought he was referring to when Brian and Stefan were being used as co quarterbacks? Thinking back, since Brian is our QB coach, maybe Brian wasn't really a big fan and that's why we didn't see other qb's get an opportunity. Just a thought.

Are you being sarcastic? I thought he was referring to when Brian and Stefan were being used as co quarterbacks? Thinking back, since Brian is our QB coach, maybe Brian wasn't really a big fan and that's why we didn't see other qb's get an opportunity. Just a thought.
Yes, I was being sarcastic. Pretty sure you’re right - and, that he meant Brian Brohm but got done in by spellcheck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT