ADVERTISEMENT

Tournament???

Thursday at 3pm against Mempiss. Only TV showing right now is for the final on Sunday. That will be on ESPNU.

After Mempiss, we play USF at 3:00 on Friday and Rutgers at 3:00 on Saturday. The pool winners will play at noon on Sunday 25th. It is unclear what happens when two teams in a pool end up 2-1. Do they play a late game on Saturday to break the tie?

What we need to do is go 3-0 so we don't have to worry about tie breakers and to enhance our NCAA resume.
Q: Will we stay with our regular rotation? Will Ruxer be ready?

Conference Tournament schedules

I would take that draw now if we could. Would love to get that draw, win our regional, have UCF upset UF in that regional, and have to come here to play us to go to the CWS. That would be one hell of a send off from this group of trash known as the AAC.

I was surprised to see uk still projected in the tournament. They better hope some other teams that are at large locks don't lose their conference tournaments. They have to be one of the last 4-6 teams in. With 22 loses and probably 2 more in the SECT, I just don't see them making the field.

Heck, UK is a 9 seed in the $EC tourney. They sure did play big against us though. I think the Cards have earned a regional host opportunity. If they can take care of business in the tourney they may be in contention for a Super Reg.

This post was edited on 5/23 11:46 AM by Bardman

I agree Bardman. But uk didn't play great against UL. In the second game, UL killed themselves with stupid errors. Rogers actually pitched pretty good in that game. And UL would smoke them with any of our weekend pitchers. I just hope that if they do make the tournament, that they get sent here so we can smack them around a bit.

Cardfan,

Not sure I would agree with you. AJ Reed is one of the best two-way players in the country and is likely a very high draft pick. He is currently 11-2 with 2.10 era and arguably one of the toughest baseball conference in the country. It is very difficult to make comparisons between weekend starters and your mid-week games.

Same here, NC. Let's just go out a beat the next opponent. Sometimes I think we lose to kitties because of too much negative emotion.

Originally posted by 71card:
Sometimes I think we lose to kitties because of too much negative emotion

Could be something to this. We started Rogers both games against uk this year. He is a life long UofL fan. Wonder if the pressure of being a freshman along with the pressure he knows exist with beating uk prohibited him from throwing his best games. If a freshman who isn't from around here and more than that, didn't grow up a UofL fan, took the hill against uk would the pressure/emotions be the same? Either way I think the experience was great for Josh and it showed with his last start when we needed him most. So again, good call coach.

You know it wouldn't surprise me now that Coach Mac might have done that on purpose if he thought UK would be seeded into the same regional as us. That way, they would have only seen basically 1 guy instead of a few.

I know Reed is very good but I would take Funk or Kid all day and twice on Sunday. What Funk has done lately is nothing short of greatness. He got the team USA invite for a reason. I love our chances against uk in a regional. There is a reason they lost over 20 games.

On another note, what do you think the rotation will be this week? Is Ruxer going to be back? If so, I think I would start Rogers today and then run our normal weekend rotation. If not, maybe start Filemino (sp?) and then run the weekend rotation from last weekend. I'm interested in seeing what CDM does today.

Here is what I want to see what Coach does with Funk. Cards are up big in the 6th inning but today was not a typical Funk day. He has given up 6 hits and has already thrown 90+ pitches. Coach - you got a good bullpen, lets give them a shot instead of throwing Funk for 2 more innings and 120+ pitches?

Yes, I still have not heard the status of Ruxer. To me, that will determine how far we are able to go if he can come back. Go Cards!

Just checked the game notes. Rogers is listed as the starter against USF and Kidston will start against Rutgers. No mention of any injury or status of Ruxer????

Went to the game at Patterson South Stadium today.The game itself was not very exciting and Funkhouser was not his usual self. The highlight was talking to some other fans and the parents and girl friends of several of the parents. I really felt stupid as I posed the question about tie breakers between two team that are 2-1 after the round robin. Let's say we lose one of our next two games and Mempiss wins their two. We are both 2-1. The tie breaker is head-to-head. We would win. duh!!

Re: Ruxer. Nobody had a sure answer, but the father of one of the starters said that he thought Ruxer would be held until the NCAA. He confirmed that the problem was muscular inflammation.

BTW, it was a beautiful day: 83 degrees, nice cool breeze, horrible traffic (normal) and high food prices.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT