ADVERTISEMENT

Too Much

FredCard

No-Ranking Prospect
Nov 22, 2022
So, it is halftime and we are down double figures at home on senior night. Will anyone address the elephant in the room? Kenny Payne should be fired. However, there are those in our community that will make it a racial issue. To me it only matters if you can win or not. Skin color does not matter. But, some people will make it about that. Block me, remove me, or what you want but Payne needs to go away regardless of color or anything else.

The color green is what matters here and that buyout is too rich not to give him another year.
Poor argument. You bring him back for a year and he fails again then you fire him you save $2 million dollars but you'll lose a lot more than that in ticket and concession sales plus run the risk of losing ticket holders and boosters for good..

Poor argument. You bring him back for a year and he fails again then you fire him you save $2 million dollars but you'll lose a lot more than that in ticket and concession sales plus run the risk of losing ticket holders and boosters for good..

Money has to matter at some point. Last I saw they were still paying out multiple coaches and AD's just to get rid of them and then someone gives Payne this crazy buyout.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
We’ve had this discussion before… It’s in the range of a five million dollar annual decision firing Payne until his buyout runs its course. It’s basically the salary for the next coach since Payne keeps drawing his.

You ain’t recovering that in ticket sales, and you have no savings in the bank.

Fire Payne if you want, he deserves it. But you’re not financially justifying it…

We’ve had this discussion before… It’s in the range of a five million dollar annual decision firing Payne until his buyout runs its course. It’s basically the salary for the next coach since Payne keeps drawing his.

You ain’t recovering that in ticket sales, and you have no savings in the bank.

Fire Payne if you want, he deserves it. But you’re not financially justifying it…
Maybe, but long term, big boosters and season ticket holders can bail and never come back. The bloom is coming off the rose pretty quickly around here.. Once the fanbase is gone the program is dead.. You can't put a price on that..

Let’s see how year 2 goes. You continue to make a lot of assumptions.

1) KP won’t turn it around.
2) He can’t build a roster
3) He can’t coach his roster
4) Most importantly the next guy guarantees success. You have yet to give me a name that clearly can handle this program that would take it.

One year doesn’t define any coaches career. Plenty of coaches have failed early in their careers. We judge coaches by their entire career. We just aren’t willing to go down that path with a new coach. Damn shame we view things this way.

4) Most importantly the next guy guarantees success. You have yet to give me a name that clearly can handle this program that would take it.

One year doesn’t define any coaches career. Plenty of coaches have failed early in their careers. We judge coaches by their entire career. We just aren’t willing to go down that path with a new coach. Damn shame we view things this way.
You have to admit it's a bit different with KP? He's starting his head coaching career in his late 50's after showing no aspirations in his career of becoming a head coach. He was talked into taking this position.

One season can define a head coach when it's obvious there's a vacancy with his ability to motivate his players. His reactions to the unprecedented failure of this program also show he's not prepared for such a high position in the field he never pursued before this past year.

Now maybe if he's the head coach with a roster filled with pro prospects and hard working players, he may win more games than he loses, but there is absolutely no reason to expect that to happen. In fact, he's going to have to mold together transfers and recruits with whoever returns from this season into a team that finishing at .500 would be considered improvement.

No one can tell you who UofL could hire if KP is fired, but that doesn't mean there isn't a head coach worthy of taking the position. At this point, anyone with several years of head coaching experience is a better choice than a former alum who was in no way prepared for such a demanding job running a powerhouse program. You have to admit had KP not been a former Cards player, he would have never been considered, much less hired, to be the head coach at UofL?

We're both kind of assuming. I'm assuming he can't and won't do any of those things or at least enough to make a difference. You're assuming that he will. Big difference is I have the proof of a lackluster 4-27 record and the fact he failed miserably in every aspect of coaching. You've got hope in one hand and 💩 in the other..

I'm not going to name names of a coach that would come here but there are definitely some out there that could turn this around and jump at the chance to do it..

• Haha
Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
I don’t care why he was hired because I don’t have a say. All I would say is if anyone deserves patience it is a former player. He gets Louisville and wants the best for the program. He loves the program. Yet we want to throw him to the curb because we think it won’t work. Just like I don’t know if it will work nobody at this point knows if it won’t work. The same is going to be said about the next coach.

There is an entire 1 hour documentary on the class that saved Coach K. He was going to be fired early in his Duke tenure. There wasn’t much on the court to support keeping him. While he was younger it still was early in his coaching career. Zac Taylor 1st year with the Bengals won 2 games. As a Bengals fan he sure didn’t look like he knew what he was doing. You know what changed for both of them they got players.

I am willing to see how he builds this roster. It is up to him to build it and win with it. If he can’t then decisions will be made.

Reactions: Louisvillian
We're both kind of assuming. I'm assuming he can't and won't do any of those things or at least enough to make a difference. You're assuming that he will. Big difference is I have the proof of a lackluster 4-27 record and the fact he failed miserably in every aspect of coaching. You've got hope in one hand and 💩 in the other..

I'm not going to name names of a coach that would come here but there are definitely some out there that could turn this around and jump at the chance to do it..
Why not? Go ahead name them? You haven’t held back on KP.

I am not assuming anything I have said over and over I don’t know if it will work. He has a contract and I am completely OK with him getting another year. I think any coach is a group of players away from being really good.

Maybe, but long term, big boosters and season ticket holders can bail and never come back. The bloom is coming off the rose pretty quickly around here.. Once the fanbase is gone the program is dead.. You can't put a price on that..
Zipp has made several posts outlining our financial situation. If you have some alternate data to back up how we can afford to fire Payne, great, let's see it. But Zipp has looked up the financial numbers, posted them for us, and he's shown we don't have the money to buy out Payne.

Cone on now, the university can find the money. It's only about if they want to. Do you actually believe that if Heird got a call from Jay Wright's agent saying he's interested in the head coaching position, Heird wouldn't find a way to get the money?

As unlikely as that is, it's still more likely to happen than KP winning 20 games next season. KP cannot be compared to other coaches who started their careers losing games. To begin with, he's 56 years old. How long would he last starting at such a older age. To me he was always going to be a gap filler until a top name coach was hired.

But he failed miserably filling the gap with only 4 wins. Coack K's first seasons wasn't anything as bad as that. You simply cannot compare KP with past coaches and how they started.

Had this team finished 13 and 18 most everyone would agree on a second season. But 4 and 28 some fan out of the stands could accomplish.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Again, it's Zipp's data against other people's conjecture. I'll go with the numbers until someone shows contradicting numbers. So far I haven't seen anyone refuting any of Zipp's financial data.

Cone on now, the university can find the money...
That's utter mythology.

When U of L was hit up for $2.4 million to help save the arena, not only did U of L not "find the money," they immediately drained that money entirely from men's basketball in 2018. And they've done it every year since as evidenced by a budget that's 40% lower today.

U of L doesn't "find" money anywhere. They spend it from reserves which no longer exist, they borrow it when someone offers it which no longer happens, and lately they use accounting gimmickry like negative cash balances.

Our finances are on life support which you can readily see when you read quarterly internal statements. I suggest those of you who question that start...

Zipp has made several posts outlining our financial situation. If you have some alternate data to back up how we can afford to fire Payne, great, let's see it. But Zipp has looked up the financial numbers, posted them for us, and he's shown we don't have the money to buy out Payne.
Zipp doesn't know everything..

But he failed miserably filling the gap with only 4 wins.
And against one of the worst schedules we've ever played against.

All systems failure. I can't even imagine how people that are true Louisville fans would be ok with giving K Pain another year to drag us farther down the sewer..

• Haha
Oh we all know that. You don't know when someone might step in and help with a buyout though..
Anything is possible. I just don’t believe in tooth fairies. What you’re speculating about has never happened at U of L. And that was during much better times.

I’m with you as far as Payne. Just can’t dream stuff up so it happens…

I hate to tell you Louisville has been setting a lot of precedents; hiring $5 prostitutes, FBI sting, 2 extortion attempts, 2 time NCAA violator, a coach quitting during the year and a coach banging his assistants wife. I don’t know if you have been watching it kind been off the rails for a while now. All self inflicted wounds. You have to take all this into the decision to hire and fire KP.

It has also been laid out pretty clearly by Zipp from the financial side. The last piece is you aren’t buying KP out without a clear choice to replace. Remember Satterfield wasn’t going to be fired and that is with a clear choice in the sport that controls everything now.

Remember Satterfield wasn’t going to be fired and that is with a clear choice in the sport that controls everything now.
He absolutely was going to be fired if he didn’t perform in 2023. That’s the non-verbal message Heird gave him by not extending his contract or, giving him the raise that he demanded.

I expect a similar stance on Payne for next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT