ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Crean as interim?

A few people may need to leave. Do you really want an insider taking over your program? The President said a replacement would be announced within 48 hours. That isn't enough time for a national search.

As an IU guy, I'm glad Crean is gone. He would be okay to keep the program going while you look for a permanent coach. That's it. One and done.

The involvement of Kenny Johnson is troubling to me. Is his actions something recent or was he doing this at IU? It might be enough of a question to keep Crean away and Try to attract Thad Matta if his health permits it.

Kenny johnson is the biggest idiot and loser.
He was on track to be head coach, and could have been Pitino's replacement here some day. Instead he sells out.

Also yes to if he cut that crappy deal here, he could have did it IU.
So many people had/have their hands out.

A few people may need to leave. Do you really want an insider taking over your program? The President said a replacement would be announced within 48 hours. That isn't enough time for a national search.

As an IU guy, I'm glad Crean is gone. He would be okay to keep the program going while you look for a permanent coach. That's it. One and done.

The involvement of Kenny Johnson is troubling to me. Is his actions something recent or was he doing this at IU? It might be enough of a question to keep Crean away and Try to attract Thad Matta if his health permits it.
Crean is clean. He is known for 'not playing the game' and it cost him many recruits. Why do you think Kenny Johnson left for UL so quickly?

As more than one college basketball writer put it today, 'Indiana fans should thank God for Tom Crean today.'

He was hired to clean up the Sampson mess, not make it worse.

Reactions: iubud
Crean is clean. He is known for 'not playing the game' and it cost him many recruits. Why do you think Kenny Johnson left for UL so quickly?

As more than one college basketball writer put it today, 'Indiana fans should thank God for Tom Crean today.'

Lol - his lack of ability and IU’s dwindling relevance combined with their 1950s facilities cost recruits. Johnson left for a better (at that point) job, with a higher profile school, for more money. Pretty sure those were the reasons he left - not because Crean wouldn’t let him cheat.

And BTW - just cause you said it, doesn’t make him clean...

Tom would make all U.K. Fans very happy
Why would UKay fans be happy? They are 3-3 vs Crean all time and 1-2 against his teams in the NCAA tournament.

2 of the Slappies' wins also came in the first 2 years of Crean coaching a gutted Indiana team. Not to mention that was before their crybaby Coach Cal got his feewings hurt at Assembly Hall and decided to take his ball and go home.

Beware of what you wish for Slappies.

Lol - his lack of ability and IU’s dwindling relevance combined with their 1950s facilities cost recruits. Johnson left for a better (at that point) job, with a higher profile school, for more money. Pretty sure those were the reasons he left - not because Crean wouldn’t let him cheat.

IUs facilities are fine. Have you been there lately? Dwindling relevance, that's true and that's why Crean is gone.

Why would UKay fans be happy? They are 3-3 vs Crean all time and 1-2 against his teams in the NCAA tournament.

That's what I was going to say. Tom may be a bit different, but he's a good dude and we could do a lot worse as an interim. And he certainly won't have underage whores or wiring $100k to recruits in Las Vegas. And well he's better at beating UK than Rick was, so there's that I guess.

Reactions: mike41703
UK fans should have been happy with Pitino since Cal owned him. Don't know what you are getting with a new coach.
Most UK fans I know hate Pitino more than they hate UL. But I live out in the state where the rivalry is not nearly as intense as it is in Louisville.

I would be very surprised if anything happened at IU under Crean. The man lost Trey Lyles because he wouldn't give his dad a job with the basketball program and you think his assistants are getting 100 k to kids? The man got one 5 star at Indiana, Cody Zeller. Maybe the cash was slipped to him while at church on his recruiting visit?

Nobody knows anything for sure but once again, I would be very surprised at any shenanigans there

I don't know why you are taking shots at their programs 'relevance' and facilities. I think Crean won 2 BIG Ten titles in his last 4 years there. I don't know how 'relevant' that is but it certainly isn't 'irrelevant'.

Crean was fired because he couldn't make the next step. And he couldn't do that because he wasn't a big enough name to attract the talent to do that without 'playing the gane.'

I don't know if I'm Crean if I would take the job. I know he is unemployed right now, but until it all comes out what was done and what the punishment will be I would have a hard time taking a job even for just a year if I knew I was almost being set up for failure. After the dust settles and everything comes out I would aim for a young gun, kind of like pitino was at U.K. someone that'll come in for the long haul, knowing what ahead of them and turning the program around. Either way, good luck to the FANS.
^^^ Slappy hoping that Crean will be available for their opening. ^^^

"Elite program," my a$$...

I would be very surprised if anything happened at IU under Crean. The man lost Trey Lyles because he wouldn't give his dad a job with the basketball program and you think his assistants are getting 100 k to kids? The man got one 5 star at Indiana, Cody Zeller. Maybe the cash was slipped to him while at church on his recruiting visit?

Nobody knows anything for sure but once again, I would be very surprised at any shenanigans there

I don't know why you are taking shots at their programs 'relevance' and facilities. I think Crean won 2 BIG Ten titles in his last 4 years there. I don't know how 'relevant' that is but it certainly isn't 'irrelevant'.

Crean was fired because he couldn't make the next step. And he couldn't do that because he wasn't a big enough name to attract the talent to do that without 'playing the gane.'
After the news of the past two days - I wouldn’t be surprised at anything. What I said - you basically proved my point - crean is at best average and was fired for not being able to bring iu back to the relevance they had under knight.

David Padgett????
I would like to give Padgett a chance at the interim position. However, David was on staff during strippergate and obviously on staff when two other assistants are being investigated. Maybe DP doesn't know anything but you already have a coach who has used that phrase as a battle cry. If you're going to clean house and start anew, unfortunately for DP, he may be a unwilling victim. It's all about perception now.

1950's facilities? A state of the art practice and training facility connected to Assembly Hall was built a few years ago. Many of our former players come back to work out in Cook Hall. Players have 24/7 access to the facility.

A $40 million renovation to AH was finished last year. Included was a massive video screen and Mark Cuban donated a state of the art 360 degree video system.

All this is still on campus. All IU was lacking was a coach. They took care of that.

1950's facilities? A state of the art practice and training facility connected to Assembly Hall was built a few years ago. Many of our former players come back to work out in Cook Hall. Players have 24/7 access to the facility.

A $40 million renovation to AH was finished last year. Included was a massive video screen and Mark Cuban donated a state of the art 360 degree video system.

All this is still on campus. All IU was lacking was a coach. They took care of that.
My apologies - I guess iu’s lack of relevance let those reports slide by unnoticed.

Are you Tom Crean in disguise?

Reactions: BPGhost
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT