ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Crean as interim?

I think they go outside of the current staff. Another good move that hits you in the feel goods would be to bring back a former player for the interim tag. Not sure who that would be but a smart move as you do a search.

Padgett being the closeth, could keep the team together.

Outsider could cause a mass exodous.

That idiot Corey Evans who is supposed to be a sports analyst gave a list of possible replacements. Tom Crean led the list of loser coaches that Evans listed. Has anybody ever heard of Corey Evans this guy is pitiful.

Who’s to say he didn’t know something?? If we’re cleaning house - then, clean house.

Clearly, if he were one of two coaches involved, then yes, move on. But for the sake of continuity, if he's clean, let him lead the team. Better than a new guy who tries to install "his way" as college basketball practice officially starts.

That is a great point. Assuming he is clean in all this. But man I would like to start completely over

I like Shaka Smart as the permanent replacement. No way that happens though until our fate is revealed, which will undoubtedly take years.

That is a great point. Assuming he is clean in all this. But man I would like to start completely over

I like Shaka Smart as the permanent replacement. No way that happens though until our fate is revealed, which will undoubtedly take years.

Id like Shaka also.

Its best to wait for the victim-NCAA to make their rulings.
A coach might not want to start out on tourney bans.

Guys whop the hell do you think we going to get at this point. We need a proven head coach of his caliber not someone trying to find their legs. You need someone that will be able at a short time to put a complete competent staff together. And Crean fits the billing.

Reactions: mike41703
I don't know if I'm Crean if I would take the job. I know he is unemployed right now, but until it all comes out what was done and what the punishment will be I would have a hard time taking a job even for just a year if I knew I was almost being set up for failure. After the dust settles and everything comes out I would aim for a young gun, kind of like pitino was at U.K. someone that'll come in for the long haul, knowing what ahead of them and turning the program around. Either way, good luck to the FANS.

I like Knuckle’s choice of Davenport.

Just saw this thread and I believe Scotty answers several things, good experience (Not D1) but were not just another stepping stone for him, deep ties to the community and UofL, and is needed in a pinch. He is familiar with many of the players. Good character and you decide at the end of the year whether to offer him FT contract.

Reactions: BPGhost
The victims in all of this are the cards fans, alum and students. To be honest, I am not sure if any big name coach will take the job until it becomes clear what penalty will be handed down to Louisville?

Between the strippers and now this, there are many reporters that are calling for the death penalty or a post season ban of over 10 years.

There is no way Louisville is alone in this major scandal. The FBI investigation has only begun as they have confiscated computers from Nike as well. I guess we will know soon enough if Coach Cal and others are truly made of Teflon?

Last edited:
At this point could anyone say with 100% certainly that ANYONE in a high level D1 program is clean?? And sadly that goes for Padgett.

Davenport is absolutely clean as a whistle, has a fantastic record and won’t embarrass the program. He’s also the only guy that both sides of the Pitino – Crum feud that has never ended - could agree on. Would he be the choice if this shit show had never occurred? Maybe not but, it’s time to realize what’s possible at this point.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
He had all kinds of issues at IU. Exactly what we don’t need.

A few people may need to leave. Do you really want an insider taking over your program? The President said a replacement would be announced within 48 hours. That isn't enough time for a national search.

As an IU guy, I'm glad Crean is gone. He would be okay to keep the program going while you look for a permanent coach. That's it. One and done.

The involvement of Kenny Johnson is troubling to me. Is his actions something recent or was he doing this at IU? It might be enough of a question to keep Crean away and Try to attract Thad Matta if his health permits it.

You guys have a team built to play Pitino's style. Crean is not Rick. Whoever it is needs to at least be a guy that is hyper focused on defense for the year and run that full court press.

You guys have a team built to play Pitino's style. Crean is not Rick. Whoever it is needs to at least be a guy that is hyper focused on defense for the year and run that full court press.
That is very true about the defense, but UL will need an experienced coach that has run a major program and never been in trouble. They also need to be available to start immediately. A coach in a current role that is worth a crap isn't going to take this job with a 48 hour timeline on an interim basis. Crean or Matta are the 2 names I can come up with.

I liked UL when I lived in Kentucky. I liked Denny Crum and it pissed off the UK fans. I hope you guys make a good hire and restore your program. There is no quick fix for this, but you made a good start today.

You are assuming that all the current players stay. I'm not sure that's going to happen. If I am Q and only have 1 more year, I'm going somewhere I have a chance to win a championship.

You are assuming that all the current players stay. I'm not sure that's going to happen. If I am Q and only have 1 more year, I'm going somewhere I have a chance to win a championship.
I mean its kind of similar to the Damien Lee situation..would be hard for them to leave. The timing is weird because practice is just now starting.

Q and Raymond are hometown. Anas seems like he loves the Ville. Deng Adel and VJ are probably more worried about going pro than the NCAA tourney. The freshman may or may not stay.

I say you all let these guy play this year out and not self-sanction. Give the fanbase and players one last trip to the tourney with a talented roster. These guys have already started school and have no time to plan for changes. Let the tourney ban begin next year so the team can make choices based on knowing the future. Not fair to the guy, like Lee and Lewis, who have to suffer because they did not know what they were getting into.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT