ADVERTISEMENT

THOUGHTS ON FOOTBALL & BASKETBALL

Ty Spalding

Owner/Publisher of CardinalSports.com
Aug 23, 2018
We will start with the football game on Thursday...

I think it's worth spelling out that Virginia's record isn't indicative of their season.

Let me show you why:

-- Lost by one point to undefeated James Madison
-- Lost by a field goal to 7-3 NC State
-- Beat ranked UNC on the road
-- Took Miami to OT on the road

I'm not here to tell you that Virginia is a good football team, but they aren't nearly as bad as their record indicates.

The defense gave up more than they had in recent weeks, but still did enough.
I do still take away some positives from Louisville's defensive performance. At the top of the positive list is the havoc plays that this front continues to generate. Louisville totaled nine TFLs and four sacks. That's a really strong effort from Gillotte and company. Additionally, Louisville's rushing defense held serve, only allowing 3.3 yards per carry. That's an encouraging number. Individually, I mentioned Gillotte earlier, who had 1.5 sacks and 2 TFLs. Playing at a very high level. Also, the play at safety continues to be so good. Devin Neal led the team in tackles and had one of the better INTs you will see at the college level. Cam'Ron Kelly plays the run and tackles so well in space.

Major kudos to Plummer for weathering the storm and finding a way.
The pick six was horrible. No excuses, no sugar coating it. The next drive, I believe, was a quick three and out that saw him keep the ball on a read option and saw him take a sack on third down. Entering the fourth quarter, with seemingly no confidence, and trailing in a must-win game, Plummer getting this team to the finish line shouldn't go unsaid. Led a must-have drive to tie the game at 21 and hitting a deep baill 60 yards down the field can't be overlooked. When someone is that wide open, it's better to under throw the receiver, in my opinion. Plummer could have easily folded when the going got tough, but he hung in there. He completed 68 percent of his passes. Had a 157 QBR. Just made one unforgivable mistake.

Those are my main takeaways with football. Had to find a way to win that game and they did. Major grit and fortitude to dig in and make winning plays. Certainly, Guerendo continues to be phenomonal. Jordan just isn't 100 percent, and didn't have that extra burst he typically does. Onto Miami.

A little tease: I know the focus needs to be on this year and finishing off a special season. But, there's a lot of exciting buzz out there about what's to come this off season. Not only about potential additions, but also surprise returnees. Stay tuned. Talent acquisition SZN will be here before we know it.

Now, onto basketball.

I'm not really even interested in breaking down specifics from games, honestly. It's all big picture items for me.

Just an inexcusable, season-ending loss. Yes, the season is over. And for all intents purposes, this coaching staff will be gone one way or another. Not if but when.

This tweet went out on November 1st from an account that has a large following. Nobody, including myself, knew whether or not it was made up, a joke, or legitimate.

I have it on good authority that this tweet was true to an extent. I don't have any other context to add, but a very good source tells me that tweet had merit behind it.

The one-point win over UMBC was fools gold. Louisville gave up 93 points to UMBC and Marist just beat them 65-59. Atrocious.

Louisville still doesn't know how to close out on shooters. They still don't know basic defensive principals. And they still don't have an identity.

They let Chattanooga shoot over 40 percent from three.

Stay the course, let things play out, and I will be here to keep you all updated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News