ADVERTISEMENT

The Ability To Block Shots With Both Hands

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
“Ray Spalding, man he’s really good,” said Pitino. “He’s 6-9, blocks shots with both hands, runs as well as any freshman I’ve ever had. He has to improve his shot, so we’re going to work on that but in terms of athleticism this kid is as good as it gets.”

"Ray wasn't the focal point offensively of (Trinity)," Pitino said. "Although he has great footwork and uses his hands very well -- he is as quick up and down as any 6-9 guy I've seen -- he's got to blossom and develop into someone who thinks about becoming more of a scorer. That's going to take time. In terms of agility, in terms of basketball skills, he has it.

That's a skill I never really think about but it would definitely be a plus because a player could go up on either side since he doesn't have one dominant blocking hand to defend the rim.

Reactions: beasleythecard
If even half of what Pitino is saying about these freshmen is true, then this is going to be his best class here. Gonna be hard to beat the 2010 class with Russ and Dieng

Reactions: beasleythecard
Not even half, at least, not in their freshman year.
42%? 27%? What should I say here?

Bottom line is Pitino likes this class ... a lot. He's raved more about these incoming guys than any I can remember. When Pitino is happy with the team, I'm not going to dismiss it as meaningless. It's hyperbole, we get that, but he has some high character guys with good leadership qualities who know how to defend. Sign me up.

Reactions: anon_0astpxev9h4gk
A great shot blocker keeps the ball in play.

I love Mangok's energy but hopefully he's coached up on that. Just tap it, don't toss it!

Looking for Ray Spalding to grab quite a bit of playing time......Coach Pitino loves defensive stoppers and Spalding seems to be just that type of player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT