ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL TEAM NOTES: Observations from practice

Ty Spalding

Owner/Publisher of CardinalSports.com
Aug 23, 2018
As I mentioned in another thread, my dad attended practice today at the Kueber Center. 20 or so former players were there in addition to a handful of donors/boosters, so I'm sure some of what I'm going to say has already been put out there, but, I wanted to give you all some tidbits... Again, this is through my dad who attended practice today, so I'm relaying things in a sense.

First, just on KP, how he coaches, how he runs practices etc...

Accountability. Very direct. Telling players things like "if you do that, we will lose games" ... He does not beat around the bush.

Intensity. KP absolutely lights into the players and will jump on them. Is extremely hard on them. But, during the next break, he will go over to that player and check on them. Players responded well. A lot of 'yes sir and no sir'.

Hands on. KP does most of the coaching. KP was in control the whole time. Assistant coaches would chime in here and there, but Kenny does most of the talking.

Practice in general...

Conditioning. A ton of running. There was a timer set and as soon as the timer ran out, the team moved into the next drill. On offense, the focus was primarily on motion. Moving without the ball. Screening away. Quick passes. On defense, KP wants pressure on the ball at all times. Relentless defense. No more sagging off. Baseline to baseline, KP wants guys in the ball handlers' grill. Not saying Louisville will press, but constant pressure is a theme.

Players...

Brandon Huntley-Hatfield is a pro. Dominated practice. Will be Louisville's best player. He can shoot it from the outside. Can post on the inside.

El Ellis is the clear-cut leader. He's a coach on the floor. Very positive. High energy. He's in supreme shape. Can do a little bit of everything. He’s a good college guard.

Kamari Lands is solid. He's confident, has a great body. He's a serviceable ball handler. Ideally, he should play the 3. Probably a year away from putting it all together.

Fabio Basili can create his own offense. He can score. Is he college-ready physically? No, but he can shoot it, and can handle the ball. Looks like a freshman, but he held his own with Ellis. I would expect Fabio to spell Ellis in spots.

Sydney Curry has a ways to go in the conditioning department.

Rose Wheeler is very much still adjusting to things and needs to buy in.

KP was all over JJ Traynor.

Devin Ree has a ton of upside. Skill is there but he's extremely skinny.

Withers didn’t practice, but I don’t believe it is anything long term. Mike James was held out as well. He is put together. If James can get healthy, he could really help Louisville on the defensive end of the floor. Hercy Miller also didn't practice.

Overall takeaways: Need Withers and James healthy. If Withers can step up, the front line should be able to win games for Louisville. James brings something to the team that Louisville doesn't really have in a physically-imposing guard. Curry has to get in shape. I’m sure that is a major point of emphasis.

Chemistry is great. Guys lifting each other up. Players are comfortable asking questions to the staff.

I was encouraged. This is going to work. I'm confident. It may not be this year, but Louisville basketball will be back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News