ADVERTISEMENT

Team E.R.A. Spoiler Alert!! It's bad.

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
I went back to check stats as far as gocards.com would let me (2015.) The team ERA is at its worst in quite some time:

2021- 4.96
2020- 3.23*
2019- 3.53
2018- 3.53
2017- 2.92
2016- 2.82
2015- 2.74

* Shortened season, as everyone knows.

So, yikes! The good news is there is a lot of young arm talent on the roster. This year, I don't know, the rotation/bull pen just didn't click. The offseason will be here soon. Get to work, young fellas.

I don’t want to give up this season and look ahead but considering all the young arms we did see, what does it say about the arms we didn’t see? Is there any hope left on the roster? Did we not give someone an opportunity that might have deserved one? It would be nice if we had some kind of scouting report on who might have some promise?

I’ve not given up but I am a realist. We have weaknesses, glaring in fact. Hitting in critical situations and pitching in crucial situations and not to mention our occasional defensive lapses. Most of these can be credited, in my opinion, to youth, injuries and plain ole bad luck. Our staff of CDM and his assistants will work thru these issues for our end of season and for next year.

GO CARDS!!!

Hard to been too upset with this year. The pitching staff is very young plus they were basically shut down with Covid. They are just wildly inconsistent. Pretty much knew pitching was going to be a struggle.

Hitting has been a huge disappointment. They just don’t do the little things very well the biggest being they don’t move the ball.

Reactions: gocds
As I have tried to demonstrate in previous postings; since Covid began, the college sports world has been “upside down”. It has affected virtually every individual sport for both Men and Women. Look at IU football; anyone see them playing at that level in the BIG? How about UK, Duke and UNC Men’s Basketball, can anyone explain their incredibly poor performances? ND and NCST ahead of Miami, Clemson, UL & FSU ahead in ACC baseball? Arkansas ahead of Vandy in SEC a baseball? UK Women’s Volleyball winning NC?

CDM’s preparation for this season has been completely undermined by a host of unexpected developments that affected some schools differently. I am not looking for excuses, as there is no question that at times our normal fielding has been suspect, our hitting has gone totally ineffective as demonstrated in the UNC series, and our pitching has been well below historic UL quality all season.

Reactions: gocds
Hard to been too upset with this year. The pitching staff is very young plus they were basically shut down with Covid. They are just wildly inconsistent. Pretty much knew pitching was going to be a struggle.

Hitting has been a huge disappointment. They just don’t do the little things very well the biggest being they don’t move the ball.
Not trying to be disrespectful but saying our pitching staff is young doesn’t paint the whole picture. Remember that our initial weekend rotation was a SR (Elliott), JR (Kirian) and SR (Smith). Next up in the weekend rotation was Glenn Albanese (JR). Poland and Perkins had some experience and Luke Seed is technically a SO. The pieces because of injuries or whatever just didn’t mesh.

If you go back to the Fall of 2020, I'd bet that guys like Perkins,Wright and Albanese were at the very least penciled in as potential weekend guys.
Wright was a year removed from TJ surgery, Albanese on the mend as well as Perkins.
Didn't work out coming into Spring,so yes several young arms that were probably only gonna be used only in situations had to be asked for more.
Everything needs to fall into place unless you bring in youngsters like Miller and Detmers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT