ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Sunday Coaching Search Update - 3/6

Ty Spalding

Owner/Publisher of CardinalSports.com
Aug 23, 2018
I have commented on other threads throughout the weekend reiterating what I’ve been hearing, but I figured it was time to post a new update.

There has been multiple times throughout all of this where I felt very confident about Kenny Payne being the next coach at UofL. I never thought it was a done deal, but there were multiple occasions where I was almost certain he would be the next coach.

As we stand today, I would take the field over Kenny Payne which is the sentiment I’ve shared in the most recent update thread.

Something that keeps coming up in conversations I’ve had is that several key decision-makers in this are not sold on Payne.

A source on the UofL side told me that they were 75% sure that the next head coach won’t be Kenny Payne.

A source on the Knicks side told me that they were 98% sure that the next head coach won’t be Kenny Payne.

I’ve also been told by someone I trust that Kenny Payne is no longer an option.

What’s my take on that? I don’t think it’d be smart to rule Kenny Payne out completely, and with UofL, you can’t really ever say never, but this feels like a turning point in the search as all momentum is moving away from Kenny.

What about other candidates?

The name that’s generating the most buzz is Baylor’s Scott Drew. I don’t think we will really know exactly how interested Drew is in the job until his season is over, but the UofL side feels confident they can get him, and as one source told me, UofL is “all in” on Drew.

I really haven’t heard any other names of candidates enough to mention in this update. Mick Cronin’s name has come up, but I’m not quite sure which side is generating the interest. I’d be inclined to say that it’s coming from the Cronin camp more so than UofL, but that’s an educated guess at this point.

That’s all I have for now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News