ADVERTISEMENT

Suggestion for the Johnny Unitas Statue.

PORTACARD

6000+
Jun 1, 2001
There have been questions about where the Johnny Unitas statue will be located given the new expansion. Given the age of the players, I think the Johnny U statue belongs more to fans than the players so I would put the statue on the south end party deck so that the fans can interact with it. For the players I would make sure there is a center tunnel and Jurich indicated it would in the press confrence, then put a statue of Howard Schnellenburger at the mouth of the tunnel, visible from the stands. Put the statue on a rotating platform so that when the players come out of the complex, Howard is facing them. When they are all on the field, the statue rotates 180 degrees and faces the field.

There have been questions about where the Johnny Unitas statue will be located given the new expansion. Given the age of the players, I think the Johnny U statue belongs more to fans than the players so I would put the statue on the south end party deck so that the fans can interact with it. For the players I would make sure there is a center tunnel and Jurich indicated it would in the press confrence, then put a statue of Howard Schnellenburger at the mouth of the tunnel, visible from the stands. Put the statue on a rotating platform so that when the players come out of the complex, Howard is facing them. When they are all on the field, the statue rotates 180 degrees and faces the field.
No!

Do a ring of champions
Teddy
Johnny
Tom
Howard

Make room for new statues

Anything else is bush league

It's a tradition for the players to touch the statue when entering the field. It needs to be located somewhere in front of the new entrance onto the field. Period!

It most likely will be but a lot of fans have been complaining that they can't get close to it on game days which is the only time most fans are at the stadium. Moving the statue elsewhere such as at the south end of the stadium in the concourse area has been suggested by a number of fans. The statue of Bear Bryant at Bryant-Denny Stadium is positioned that way. As for Schnellenburger, the football complex is named after him, the stadium might not exist if it weren't for him and most of the players at least have some idea as to who he is. I doubt if any of the current players know anything more about Unitas than that he was an alum.

Reactions: beasleythecard
UL: Statute of arguably the best qb ever to play. UK: Names street after cheater whose best year was 7-5. Need more be said?

Reactions: SoulSr
It's a tradition for the players to touch the statue when entering the field. It needs to be located somewhere in front of the new entrance onto the field. Period!

It belongs with the players...as you said it is tradition for them to touch the statue when they enter the field before a game...not as ironic as the Clemson players touching Howard's Rock but same thing,

I hope my post doesn't come off as disrespectful, but I don't feel like the statue is all that big a deal. I'm not trying to act like this isn't an issue worthy of discussion, but rather to make the point that a large portion of the fan base won't have a passionate stance on the issue. I'd be willing to bet 75% of the fan as wouldn't even notice, without being told, if it were to dissappear.
My point in saying that is that it would be a shame if the relocation of the statue becomes an issue that people get upset over when this expansion will be such a positive development.

My interpretation of Jurich's response to ?s on this at last week's presser is that it won't be in the north end zone. Players could still reach out and touch it if it were located along the Card March route.

Reactions: PushupMan
I agree with Watson. The statue has been on the field and behind the north end zone since the stadium opened. Keep it there.
You can't keep it there. In case you haven't noticed, there will be a new grandstand and expanded complex on that spot. The statue has to be moved. See Tom Jurich's comments on the subject.

I hope my post doesn't come off as disrespectful, but I don't feel like the statue is all that big a deal. I'm not trying to act like this isn't an issue worthy of discussion, but rather to make the point that a large portion of the fan base won't have a passionate stance on the issue. I'd be willing to bet 75% of the fan as wouldn't even notice, without being told, if it were to dissappear.
My point in saying that is that it would be a shame if the relocation of the statue becomes an issue that people get upset over when this expansion will be such a positive development.

I kind of feel the same way. I'm sure I'll get bashed, but I just don't feel the attachment to UofL for Johnny U like I do for greats like Howard S, or guys like Tom Jackson or nowadays the great Tom Jurich. Unitas is one of the best NFL QB's if not the best of all-time, but I think he is 99.99% remembered as the Baltimore Colt great and fact that he went to UofL is like a trivia footnote. I truly don't think the players will care where the statue is. Anyways I think the statues near one of the entrances would be very cool and would be great for the fans. Quite frankly a 19 year old doesn't care too much about the past "greats"...it is the fans who care.

Reactions: Mayoman
UL: Statute of arguably the best qb ever to play. UK: Names street after cheater whose best year was 7-5. Need more be said?
And name the field after the guy that hired him and set their program back 20 years because they were too stupid to hire HS

I kind of feel the same way. I'm sure I'll get bashed, but I just don't feel the attachment to UofL for Johnny U like I do for greats like Howard S, or guys like Tom Jackson or nowadays the great Tom Jurich. Unitas is one of the best NFL QB's if not the best of all-time, but I think he is 99.99% remembered as the Baltimore Colt great and fact that he went to UofL is like a trivia footnote. I truly don't think the players will care where the statue is. Anyways I think the statues near one of the entrances would be very cool and would be great for the fans. Quite frankly a 19 year old doesn't care too much about the past "greats"...it is the fans who care.

Unitas is an interesting case and I think in the U of L context he stands for what might be called "the possibility of possibilities" that is behind the rise of U of L football (kind of like when John Adams said that the "revolution happened in the hearts and minds of the people.)" In other words, once the core group of around 20k U of L football fans decided we were going to have a real program, we began to have one, a Schnellenberger (and since then many more greats) became possible.

Doesn't mean anyone has to love that statue. I bet it winds up out in front on the south side along the Card March path.

My interpretation of Jurich's response to ?s on this at last week's presser is that it won't be in the north end zone. Players could still reach out and touch it if it were located along the Card March route.

That's where I would like to see it, as well. JohnnyU needs to be on the CardMarch route.

We can keep it at my place in wild and wonderful Meade County. I will even build a gazebo to protect it from the elements. Come out any time, drink a beer, and take a selfie with ole Johnny U. :)

Reactions: Mayoman
It most likely will be but a lot of fans have been complaining that they can't get close to it on game days which is the only time most fans are at the stadium. Moving the statue elsewhere such as at the south end of the stadium in the concourse area has been suggested by a number of fans. The statue of Bear Bryant at Bryant-Denny Stadium is positioned that way. As for Schnellenburger, the football complex is named after him, the stadium might not exist if it weren't for him and most of the players at least have some idea as to who he is. I doubt if any of the current players know anything more about Unitas than that he was an alum.
Maybe they could have a puff of smoke come out of Howard's pipe when we score a touchdown!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT