ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Spring Practice Tidbits

Ty Spalding

Owner/Publisher of CardinalSports.com
Aug 23, 2018
A few things to note after talking to a source close to the program and attending an event with players/coaches tonight:

- Woo Spencer has had a really good spring. Wouldn’t anticipate it leading to many snaps just due to how deep that room is, but has a bright future.

- Jadon Thompson has had a really good spring. Settling in as a safety valve for Shough.

- Secondary is real GOOOOD. Like really good. Echoing what I’ve said before, Riley, Thornton, and Taz will are the top three as of now with Williams and Tayon looking really good as well.

- LB competition will continue through the fall. Also, TJ Capers is playing Will (WLB). I know that was asked prior. You're looking at Quinn, Alderman, Stanquan, and Jurriente Davis, with potentially Capers factoring in as well.

- Peny Boone is that guy, really excited about him. He spoke at the event tonight and is going to be a fan favorite. Seems to love Louisville.

- Shough is most definitely the starter. I’d still say Pierce 2a and Bailey 2b. Pierce has had some very good moments this spring.

A couple other big picture items, more generalized things, but still worth mentioning:

- More depth at offensive line than last year. Big point of emphasis was to get bigger and deeper on the OL.
- They really like Tyler Shough
- Others in QB room are progressing, Pierce Clarkson was mentioned first behind Shough
- Running back room is deep. They feel like room is deeper than last year. Isaac Brown is extremely explosive.
- WR: Group has gotten better. Caullin Lacy has to get up to speed, Jacorey Brooks has shown great talent. Overall, that position needs to play at a high level. Need guys to step up.
- TE: Jamari Johnson has improved a great deal, has gotten in shape. Staff feels like he's ready to go.
- Great depth on defense.
- Secondary is deep. At corner, and safety for that matter, Jeff feels like he has the most depth/talent he's ever had in the defensive backfield.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News