ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Spring Practice Nuggets - 3/29

Ty Spalding

Owner/Publisher of CardinalSports.com
Aug 23, 2018
Announcing a new men's basketball coach, and advancing to the Final Four on the women's side has overshadowed - and rightfully so - spring football.

But, I wanted to pass along a few things I've been told over the last couple of days on the football side of things as the spring game is this Sunday at 4 p.m. on the ACCN.

And let me make this disclaimer before I get into it:

For those that want to see results and aren't going to buy into the hype until they see it on the field, I get it. And let's not kid ourselves, Satterfield needs to win this year. But all I can do is pass along what I'm hearing.

I'm a straight-shooter and there's serious optimism around the program.

--- The expectation is that the offense should be top-15 in the country. The receiving core is really solid, and unlike in year's past, there will be multiple guys on the field at receiver that are threats. Malik will truly have reads, and won't be inclined to lock in on the top target. When you have a Tutu or a Dez, that would tend to happen. Tyler Hudson, Tyler Harrell, Ahmari Huggins-Bruce will all be on the field together - and all three of those guys are equally as talented and dangerous. I asked about Braden Smith and didn't really get much on that. I would expect him to still be a part of the team, but that's more of an educated guess at this point.

--- Nic Cardwell returning has been huge, and the offensive line went from being pissed about Bicknell leaving to now feeling like they got an upgrade at their position coach.

--- The change in the strength and conditioning position has paid off in a big way. Mike Sirigiano had been with Satterfield for years, and essentialy was the GM of the program. That's not uncommon, and people have talked about this on these boards before. I was told Satterfield is now truly calling the shots, and is being more hands on in all aspects. Lance Taylor running a lot of the offense has also given Satterfield the ability to take on more responsibility in the program as a whole. Not to mention, Ben Sowders has been great.

--- Building off of that, something that we all have heard since Satterfield arrived was getting the culture right. I was told this is the first time since Satterfield has been here that the program truly has a 'family' feel to it.

--- I've posted on here a couple of times that I think we see some 4-3 mixed in this year. I haven't been to a spring practice yet, but I continue to hear the 4-3 will be a thing, with increased pressure.

--- The secondary is thin and inexperienced right now with Kei'Trel Clark out, and with a couple of transfers not arriving until the summer. But I was told Wesley McGriff has been huge in the development of that group. The players love him, and he's been a welcomed addition on that side of the ball.

--- Ben Perry has moved to the CARD primarily, but I was told he's still getting reps at safety, and the staff is giving him looks at both spots in an effort to get him on the field as much as possible.

--- As far as other individual players on defense: Dorian Jones was a guy that was brought up as a player that is standing out at inside linebacker. Monty Montgomery is still out, and Ole Miss transfer Momo Sonogo has been limited, giving Jones more opportunities.

--- The big names like Ashton Gillotte, Yasir Abdullah, and YaYa Diaby are all having good springs. No surprise there.

If the defense can come along, I think Louisville has a chance to win a lot of games this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News