ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Apparel Observation

OmegaCard

Two-Star Poster
Mar 27, 2014
I went to an outlet mall this weekend to do a little shopping with the family. Of course it had all the sports apparel stores and we went into all of them. The shopping experience between the big 3 (Under Armour, Nike, Adidas) was noticeable.

Under Armour was head and shoulders above the rest. And it wasn't even close. The store had to have 4x as many customers as the the other two. Not only were there more people but the overall clientele seemed to be more affluent and better kept. -Shirts tucked in, clean cut, athletic etc.

The Nike store on the other hand was a complete disaster. So was the clientele. Definitely lower dems across the board. Or at least they dressed and acted that way. The Adidas store was similar to the Under Armour experience minus the crowds.

10 Years ago my entire closet of sports apparel would have been Nike. Today, I have one Nike golf shirt that was gifted to me and I've never worn. The rest is 80% Under Armour and 20% Adidas. Asics have been my preferred tennis shoes for 10 years and the only high tops I wear are hikers.

I never really made any kind of conscious switch that I'm aware of but my latest experience got me thinking ...what happened to Nike?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News