ADVERTISEMENT

So, what's going on with our starting pitching?...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
One good outing in six games. Not exactly what was expected with this rotation.

If there's a silver lining, it looks like the relievers are reliable. Wonder how solid Kidston's and Roger's situations are?...

This is primarily the biggest issue with college baseball and what separates the teams that go to the CWS and are successful. Finding a consistent weekend rotation. It is what troubled us for most of the year last season as we thought Filomeno was going to step up and be that 3rd pitcher. Funkhouser is a solid #1 but in baseball, you don't always have your stuff and need some support. Funk was let down by our defense in his last start. Kidston is a year removed from injury and just hasn't returned to form prior to the injury, hopefully he can get better. In his two starts, he has only lasted 4 innings while throwing close to 100 pitches, which is why he can't finish games. Harrington, who was basically the midweek starter last year has had to finish games for Kidston. Rogers, who showed some promise during midweek games and against UK just hasn't had it yet this year and maybe is a slow starter. If Kidston figures it out, I could see Harrington become that 3rd starter and Josh going back to a mid week or spot starter. I know we have talent but don't know a lot about the other pitchers. I don't think Burdi has pitched yet.

A month ago I was very concerned, too. In retrospect, some of the bad outings were due to the fact that hitting usually starts out the season ahead of pitching. Today, it looks like the starters are much more solid. Today, for example, Rogers' stint was no runs in 7.1 innings. The 3-0 shutout of ND lowered the team ERA to 2.68. Not bad for a struggling staff.

We swept ND and remain one game ahead of FSU. Between us and the other division leader (Miami) our only losses have been to each other.

Now, who is not very optimistic about this season?

Stats

Originally posted by 71card:
A month ago I was very concerned, too. In retrospect, some of the bad outings were due to the fact that hitting usually starts out the season ahead of pitching. Today, it looks like the starters are much more solid. Today, for example, Rogers' stint was no runs in 7.1 innings. The 3-0 shutout of ND lowered the team ERA to 2.68. Not bad for a struggling staff.

We swept ND and remain one game ahead of FSU. Between us and the other division leader (Miami) our only losses have been to each other.

Now, who is not very optimistic about this season?
71,help me out.Has Kidston been replaced as Saturday starter by Harrel?

Don't know, but it looks like a very positive move.
Here's what I do know:
Funkhouser has started all Friday games.
Kidston started the first four Saturdays; McKay the most recent two.
Rogers has started all Sunday games.

The mid week games have been started by various pitchers. Kidston started the most recent.

Apparently, he was 'demoted' and his working his way back.
This post was edited on 3/23 11:36 AM by 71card

Looks like the weekend rotation is now Funk, McKay, and Rogers, and in that order.

After their starts this weekend, I certainly wouldn't expect any changes. They pitched very well, and the bullpen continues to impress.

I'd expect Kidston to get the start this weekend at IU...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT